Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play
West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $MSRP $99.95 + shipping
Description: Built-in USB interface provides rig control, CW keying plus carrier detect for Echolink operations. The plug & play works only with a radio's data or aux jacks, not a mic jack and may be orered for your particular radio.
More info: http://westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio Plug-n-Play.

JDEVARIE Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2008 08:52 Send this review to a friend
OK interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, the interface does what it says it would do, it allows me to use digital modes without a TNC. It does this as expected. I only hope that they update it soon to get rid of the audio cables. It would be nice to have only to connect the interface to the computer's usb cable and the radio's terminal. Tigertronics has the signalink USB which incorporates a usb sound card but it is not perfect either. The audio wires thing is getting old fast, this is 2008 let's move forward. There is enough clutter in everyone's shack already.

jd

KW4J Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used mine for the first time during FD 06 with a IC-703 and it performed flawlessly. No gliches and the cables remained firmly intact for the entire period. Easy installation and use. It is one of the best products available for portable operation.

KD6SWA Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this interface to work PSK-31 with an Icom IC706MKIIG. Like anything else you read the directions, load the drivers and start using it.
The CD has free software to use many modes and I have started doing Slow Scan TV using the MMSSTV software provided.
Works great...not overly complicated and very cost efficient. You can't go worng!

KM6EG Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2008 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very small, well made product powered by computers USB port. Also ordered the CAT cable for my FT857D. Drivers worked perfectly with Win XP, SP-2. PSK31 and rig control worked first time with MixW. Optional CW cable not needed as my AT-100 pro uses this for tuning. Was going to get Signal Link USB but didn't want to wait. Only little faults are cables to computer should be a foot longer and the 6 pin DIN is tight getting to the radio's Data jack.

G0RIF Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Will run FSK over CW keying circuit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these recently specifically to provide FSK RTTY keying to my TS-480. Using the standard data jack supplied and an additional cable between the CW output and pin 8 of the remote connector (8 pin mini DIN) I now have FSK RTTY working with my RB P&P. I use MMTTY software with the EXTFSK extension.

My only niggle was driver installation which could be slicker but they did install and the unit worked first time. I also run PSK31 using the 480 with no problems.

I look forward to years of good service from this unit.

W6CJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Like it a lot better than my Rigblaster Plus!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use an FT897D for Amateur and MARS service.

I had purchased the Rigblaster Plus for my "souncard modes" of digital communications, but was not pleased with having to ride the receiver volume control, flip switches and fool around with connections to the transceiver. The Rigblaster Plus may have been more appropriate for different applications, or older transceivers.

By comparison, the Rigblaster Plug and Play just connects to the rear accessories jack of the FT897D. It uses line level audio from the receiver to the sound card, which means you can use your headphones or external speaker jacks freely, and, more importantly adjust the speaker volume to any level without affecting sound card communications.

You must order the Rigblaster Plug and Play (P&P)with the correct cable to go the the accessories jack on your radio, but West Mountain Radio makes the P&P with many popular radio cables.

The package includes an installation and software CD with drivers. There are numerous warnings to install the drivers in your computer, otherwise the P&P will not talk to the computer via its USB connection. In my desktop, this part of the guided installation process went easily. In a laptop (laptops are fussy) I had to go through the driver installation twice. The manual on the CD walks you through driver, hardware, and soundcard setups. If you operate several sound card comm programs, you will have to change the "comm port" to the one the driver has set up in your computer. You may also have to change your RTS, DTR and PTT settings in each program.

The CD also includes some third-party and introductory communications programs, so you can get on the air quickly. (More programs may also be downloaded from the Web)

I noticed right away, while watching the 'waterfall' display in my receiver that the 60-Hz hum and harmonics that were visible when using the Rigblaster Plus disappeared. The P&P (at least in my experience) had a much cleaner audio interface than the Rigblaster Plus.

The P&P is a small unit that is a lot more convenient to use, and, more deployable for emergency or portable communications. I think it lives up to the name 'Plug and Play'.

The LEDs on the P&P aid in setting up your soundcard communications, PTT configuration and COM ports... not just the same old "Power on" and "PTT" leds seen in some units.

I also ordered the CAT (Transciever control) and CW cables, and will configure CAT and CW in my communications programs later on. For now, I'm using PSK31, Olivia and a few other modes.

The only critique I have at this point would be to make the P&Ps sound card cables a few incles longer and possibly to offer the P&P in flat desert tan, CARC or OD green and black colors- though the one good thing about the safety orange case is you won't lose it.

I would like to see sound card and CAT USB interfaces take the place of expensive TNCs and other radio modems. My pipe dream would be to operate -ALL- of my digital modes, including packet, pactor, Winlink and Airmail using just the one Plug and Play.

73, W6CJ

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2008 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Just As The Name Implies  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know zip about the digital modes, but I'm learning. Installation of this product was simple as long as you follow the detailed instructions on the enclosed CD, which also includes the software necessary to interface the Plug & Play to your computer.

After that bring up your favorite program, tell it which port the Plug & Play is using, and within minutes you can be on the air.

I was on 40 meters sending SSTV in about 20 minutes.

A fine product that does exactly what you expect. And, oh yes, it came in three days when the competitors product takes weeks.

Want to get into digital modes the easy way?
Buy a West Mountain Radio Plug & Play.

Rick N6NKN

KI4MSJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 18:41 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, being new to this type of mode, I chose the P&P to use with my laptop and FT897D. I have to admit that I still need to fine tune the radio. It is an easy, quick hook-up. I did call to West Mountain to ask a couple of questions and found them less than willing to help and they refered me to the manual. I do not follow reading directions as well as asking in person. I also own the Pro and ran into the same problems. I have bought many items from this company and feel that they have good products but, wish there customer service and phone etiquette were better. All in all, as far as thier product goes, I gave it a five for ease of installation, convienience and quality

NJ3A Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2007 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Easy - RTTY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this to interface with HRD (rig control) and DM480 (digital master software). Once I put together the control cable...easy once you look at the instructions and have the right plugs...I just had to dig thru the box of various connectors... Installation is easy...follow the instructions...install the software FIRST, then the USB adapter and you'll be up and running soon. Assuming you already know how to use the logging or SSTV or RTTY or PSK31 etc software, you should not have any problems. Great buy...about $100+/- a few bucks at HRO. Be sure to get the right cable for your rig. I run an IC-756 ProII and it works great.

Good luck...have fun...
NJ3A

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2007 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Too Easy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
FT-897D and PC with win2000pro

Tnx to HRO (Mark) in Atlanta...All cables were included in the box along with software. Nothing else was needed but my favotite SSTV program. Tweaked the 897 and computer mic settings and wa la. Digital SSTV with jpeg quality! Sweet! I'm hooked. We have a SSTV group in our area and everyone is having a blast.

Note: West Mountain recommends that directions are followed closely during initial setup. Just remember to install the software FIRST! I wish that I could give this jewel a 10, but 5 is the limit. If you want the best, go with the WMR PnP.