Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Elk Antenna 440LB 8 el log periodic Help

Reviews Summary for Elk Antenna 440LB 8 el log periodic
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $107.95
Description: 8 elemenent 420-450 mhz log periodic beam
More info: http://www.elkantennas.com/4408element.htm

You can write your own review of the Elk Antenna 440LB 8 el log periodic.

N4NSP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The ELK440L8 antenna does an excellent job tracking amateur radio satellites. I keep a handwritten logbook of reception reports, comparing 2 or 3 UHF antennas, and "L8" out performs them.

For example, when satellite HO-68 (XW-1) crosses Greenland into North America, I can receive the CW beacon at the northern most tip of Labrador and Quebac, over Montreal and on to the Florida Keys and then south of Costa Rica. This represents about 16 minutes of good reception from a 200 mW beacon.

While my other UHF satellite antennas work well, ELK440L8 has tremendous gain to copy satellites as they cross the RF horizon passing over the U. S. East Coast.

K3UHF Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2006 18:49 Send this review to a friend
small but good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won this antenna at a 3905 club meet 2 years ago.
During the last vhf+ contest I put this antenna on the truck as a back up to a cubex quad antenna. It had a 1.3 swr on 432 and I figures since it was only a little over a foot long it would be semi omni dirrectional as compared to the 10 element quads. I'm a rover in the contests. For some reason the cubex failed and I switched to the elk antenna.

I only expected it to do 100 miles or so. I worked around 300 mile qsos and heard them as well, I did have 175 watts, but I still heard them with this antenna. The longest was 5 grids away!

Anyway its a great antenna and it does have side lobes and nuls, I had to aim it in the long run.

I think a stacked pair of these might do very well on a tower and give a wider path if stacked above each other.