Reviews Categories | Ham Radio Awards | CQ Worked All Zones Award (WAZ) Help

Reviews Summary for CQ Worked All Zones Award (WAZ)
CQ Worked All Zones Award (WAZ) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6.00 (CQ subscribers) for any 40
Description: "The CQ Worked All Zones Award (WAZ) and its variations are issued to any licensed Radio Amateur Station presenting proof of contact with all 40 CQ Zones. This proof consists of proper QSL cards; which in many cases may be checked by any of the authorized check points or sent directly to the WAZ Award Manager."
"The WAZ Program is one of the longest running in Ham Radio, having its start prior to WWII. The WAZ program, while it involves the use of 'DX Entities', does not rely on any particular 'Entity's' status as a country. The WAZ award is geographically focused, which is where it's challenge lies."
More info: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/wazrules.html

You can write your own review of the CQ Worked All Zones Award (WAZ).

N7XM Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2013 10:47 Send this review to a friend
WAZ is serious DXing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Working 5 BAND WAZ 80-40-20-15- 10
is a serious EFFORT - Working all 40 zones
on 160m or 6m or 2m is just AMAZING !!
2 meter effort would be EME mostly . Some
DXers do the WARC bands. Myself all 40 on 10.1 mhz - DONE !

If you have 100 only countries on 160m and 40 zones confirmed
on 160m , you have climbed " the Mountain "!
A huge country total is NOT necessary but it
is a stellar achievement NONE the LESS !

160m WAZ ( all 40) is easier from EUROPE and
EAST Coast of USA, compared to WEST coast USA.

WAZ on 160m or 6 m is NOT for the TIMID !!!!

WX2S Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2013 03:58 Send this review to a friend
The next step after DXCC  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While checking my cards for DXCC, Pete W2IRT suggested that I go for WAZ next. It was a worthy challenge. I now know that I can literally QSO anywhere in the world.

N5FG had my award number to me within a couple of days after it went in. CQ Magazine has been a lot slower in getting me the actual certificate. Apparently they do batches every six months or so.

Although you can apply eQSL to this award, you cannot at this time apply LotW. So I was forced to scrounge paper QSLs in some cases. No real reason for this except the ARRL's intransigence, as far as I can tell.

Would have given the award five stars except for these two issues. Now I'll have to check whether I qualify for the CW endorsement.

ON6KE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 00:20 Send this review to a friend
In support of the WAZ program  Time owned: more than 12 months
The WAZ program is far less known than DXCC but in my view represents the pinnacle in HAM radio.

5BDXCC for sure is no nothing but 5BWAZ I'm telling you is QUITE another story.

The 1000 or so HAMS that made a 200-zone are an awesome bunch.

I'll be a happy man just making 5BWAZ entry level (150 zones), I'll never make 200, not with a 100W and 20 meters of wire for an antenna!!!!

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2007 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I'd add is that one award, DXCC, is for quantity and that's fine.

The other, WAZ, is for quality.

Of course when you hit the Honor Roll on DXCC, you'd likely note the same feeling.

I have Mixed and CW WAZ. The latter I was quite pleased to receive as the "club" is small.

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2007 14:46 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate DX achievement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been aware of this awards program since I first started DX'ing and collecting QSL cards. KV4AA's card displayed the letters "WAZ" along with his DXCC country count.

For hams new to DX'ing, it may come as a surprise that WAZ is a whole lot more difficult than DXCC. My country count for mixed mode DXCC was approx. 280 before I finally worked HS0AC in zone 26 to complete my first WAZ award. This was many years after working my first 100 countries.

For the ultimate in DX achievement, try CQ's 5-Band WAZ. The thousand or so DX'ers who have completed the full 200 band-zones are an awesome bunch. I've sent a congratulatory note to each of my friends who have achieved this.

So how does one "rate" an award? Pride of "ownership" and service come to mind. The WAZ award has a long history, and is equally difficult for DX'ers everywhere. I'm very proud of the the WAZ certificates I've earned so far, and hope to get that 200 zone sticker and plaque someday. CQ's dedicated WAZ awards manager, N5FG, does a great job in taking care of the application details and correspondence as well as maintaining the integrity of the award.