Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic Help

Reviews Summary for Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic
Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic Reviews: 32 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $788
Description: 8 element 13 to 32 MHz Log Periodic on 18' boom
More info: http://www.tennadyne.com

You can write your own review of the Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Worked very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sadly I just took down my tower and T-8 in preparation of moving in less than a year. The T-8 has survived 2 minor hurricanes (in this area) Irene and Sandy, as well as the Washington DC Derecho (70MPH straight line winds) without a single issue. The T8 replaced a 3 L SteppIR that failed after just 2 years. The T8 worked just as well as the SteppIR when it worked.

The T8 is going to a new home with the tower.

N5PHT Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK - had wanted this antenna years ago but "settled" for something less. Now I have the T8 up and been in general use for only 4 days. During that time I have made 126 contacts and DXCC total is 52 (12 on 10 mtrs, 15 on 12, 23 on 15, 13 on 17 and 19 on 20). I really like the antenna.

I have SWR as expected and promised. My ICOM746PRO folds back very, very aggressive - at about 1.5 and I can use the T8 without tuner on all but 12 meters and there I need tuner - swr is about 2 to 1 and 746PRO folds it back to 50 watts. The other 4 bands have 100 watts output on the 746PRO.

I would break it down this way:
1. Built Well - a 5
2. Manual - a 3 as many have commented
3. Customer Service - 2. As much as I enjoyed talking to Roger twice (and his wife once) he is very difficult (in my experience to get to return phone calls or answer the phone. He promised me he would carry the phone on my assembly day...well didn't happen).
4. Overall performance: 5
5. Ease of Assembly: 3 (could be 5 with well written manual). All parts were there and some extra. Assembly has a lot of 'common sense' and if Roger would write a one page addendum (in my view) of the no doubt common issues I think it would go a long way. It took me probably about 6 hours total spread over 2 days.

So, if you want a fine antenna for the price that covers 5 bands the T8 is great and I expect it to last a long time. If you expect to call the company and chat with a variety of questions - well, that is not their style.

WD8DBY Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am extremely pleased with this antenna. The antenna is shipped in a single box much smaller than I was expecting. The inventory was 100% complete- everything there! Read through the instructions several times to be sure you understand how it goes together. I had a few holes that didn't align but a quick pass through with the drill corrected the problem. I did have a few elements that were not drilled. A call to the company corrected this problem...they were very helpful and agreed to pay for shipping to have this corrected. I use this antenna for MARS work and it does great. Definitely recommend this antenna!

N0JR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2013 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Superb 5-Bander!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is gilding the lily to give another "5" to the Tennadyne T8, but it is impossible for me not to rave a bit about this antenna. Its materials are superb. The manufacturing workmanship, involving drilling of dozens of holes that are very precise, is remarkable: not one out of place, missing, or incomplete. And the design, well, that is sheer sophisticated elegance. The square double boom, the through-boom mounting of the elements, elements that "feather" in the wind rather than fight it, and the most robust boom-to-mast system, using a Slip-Not to prevent spin on the mast, top anything else I've seen from any US manufacturer, and that's in 55 years of hamming and well over 50 antennas. The T8, at its very reasonable price, is surely a "Best Buy" among 5-band antennas, and at about 60 lbs, 8 sq. ft. of windload, and an 18' boom, is adaptable to almost any installation, even very modest ones. And make no mistake, IT WORKS. Purchase and enjoy!

WA4B Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Tennadyne T8 at the Dayton Hamfest in 2010. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and I have it mounted at about 103 feet with a T28 over it at 111 feet. Because of the trees and other obstructions, I had a crane lift the antennas. I have a run of about 175 feet of Belen RG-213 to my shack. The antenna works great. I replaced a Mosley Classis 36 with this antenna. It has a lot of gain, good front to back, and low SWR. I am very happy with the performance of this beam. It doesnít seem to be affected by the T28 mounted 7 feet above it and vice versa. It has weathered some pretty bad storms with no damage. It is however not without problems. When the wind blows in excess of 10 or 15 knots, it is an awesome flute. Probably the T8 and the T28 are both flutes. It is kind of cool on Halloween when the wind is blowing because it sounds like my house is haunted. Iíve only had one complaint from my neighbor but he said that he can live with it. In Dayton this year, they told me at the Tennadyne booth that the holes on the boom (not at the ends) make it act like a flute. The fix is to cover the holes with tape. I wish they had said something in the instructions as it would be a problem to tape up the holes now. Just tape over the holes when you assemble yours and it will not be a problem. This is the only fault I can find with this antenna and it is not a big deal as I canít hear it when I am inside. It still gets the best score I can give. You can purchase some Penetrox A from DX Engineering and other places to keep the elements conductive and from seizing in case you ever want to take it apart. Itís good stuff and it doesnít take much as it goes a long way and cleans up nicely. I put this stuff on almost everything. Take your time assembling this antenna. The bottom line is that this is a well-designed and strong antenna that exceeds my expectations.

KB5OK Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2010 14:46 Send this review to a friend
awsome  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my T-8 in the summer of 2003. It was a chore to put together,the manual wasn't much help. I put the first 3 elements together backwards & had to re-do. I was using Cushcraft A-4,a strong signal on the A-4 would be 20 db. When I put up the T-8 I started getting 40 db sinals. The reason I got one: I was talking to three guys in the Sidney, Australia area one evening & two of them were running a kilowatt on yagi antennas. The other was running 100 watts on the T-8 & he was louder than the two running the power. A guy in Israel had a pretty good pileup going & I said to my wife who was sitting nearby "watch this" I threw my call out there & he came right to me, we exchanged info like he had done with the others & then he said "I would like to take a moment to tell you how very loud & clear you are in Israel this mourning" my wife said "how about that". I don't run any power {just 200 watts from my Yaesu FT-1000 D}. I used to run linears of different types, but realized with this beam, I don't need them any more. Buy the T-8 you will be glad you did, & get ready for a lot of DX. I had mine mounted at 60 ft.

W6MQI Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2010 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What can I say the thing just works SWR is no more than 1:2 20m -17m, 1:3 on 15m, 1:7 on 12m, 1:2-1:5 with a little spike right at 28.000 Mhz of 2:0. I have a cushcraft 5 element 6 meter yagi mounted 10í above the T-8 everything appears to be working just fine. The only thing I changed from the plans was the mounting of the balun I fed my T-8 per W8JI suggestions on feeding LPís check his web page out itís very informative.
I give the Tennadyne T-8 a 5 for manufacturing quality, packaging, and performance, but customer service wellÖ.Iíll let them squeak by with a 3. If your thinking of purchasing one of these beast you wonít be sorry for the money itís hard to beat.

73, Dave

N0AH Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 08:26 Send this review to a friend
3rd LP, 1st T-8  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what can I tell you- Awesome!!!!

Replacing A3S with 40M to T-8 and 40M RTD. Wanted 12/17 coverage with some gain.

Pre-dawn- Took two hours to count inventory and separate out parts- loved the
way hardware was identified and organized- first class!

Day 1: Boom construction took me 6 hours.....very relaxing time as all parts
were there and I was able to get a hold of Rog right away on 1 minor correction
in manual- He sent me a PDF manual and it was all FB! On the B-2 boom, I had to
use a soft rubber mallet to tap in the 4th boom elements (2nd on B2) but was no
problem using WD-40 and graphite. Manual stated to expect some tight fits so I
was prepared-

Day 2: Finished antenna in 5 more hours- took time and noticed I forgot to
tighten up a couple of nuts- used drill bit to screw in most hardware but always
hand tightened to finish. Had one bolt seize up on the mounting plate, easy
replacement at Home Depot- forgot to grease it up as manual suggested- whoops!
I had to soft mallet in the second set of elements going into the first B1 boom
elements. This took a bit more time but worked out- just took my time, used a
lot of graphite, WD-40 and softly tapped with rubber mallet- I think the heat of
the day caused some expansion- it was 80 degrees and full sunshine during this
construction phase- antenna parts were hot to the touch-

Mounting: Used a boom truck to bring up to place on my 19 foot Glen Martin
Tower. K0EX is a fb tower artist and had no problem with an amazing boom truck
operator from a local tree service company- I know, you are wondering about the
cost of a boom truck, priceless! Pd $125 for service call and $75 for one man
hours, figured in 15 minute increments. Truck only had one guy, so it took us 1
1/2 hours to remove A3S and AR270 and replace with 40M RTD and T-8. No one got
hurt, antennas all ended up undamaged- and talk about fun! Need a tower expert,
call K0EX! Good horse trader-

Initial SWR Tests: Using a Cal-Av 1:1 balun on the 40M dipole, I was 1.3:1 at
resonance- no effect noticed with T-8 here- On the T-8, some wavy SWR curves
as expected. Used Rog's Collins balun. Taped coax under bottom boom as
instructed. I expected higher average SWR's on 20M and lower on 10M. Lowest SWR
on 20M 1.3:1 with max SWR on 20M at 1.6:1- unexpected! and fb!! Best band SWR
wise was 12M, with flat SWR covering most BW, cool stuff-. SWR was between 1.3
to 1.7 everywhere else except 15M. I ranged from 1.5-2.2 here. Maybe the 40M RTD
was being coupled by the T-8 here but I'll never know- The 40M RTD went on
first- I can tune the antenna flat anywhere with Pro III's A/T. And OMG, 2.2,
I'm falling over- hihi..........

After finishing and measuring SWR near feed point, went to the shack. F/B on
listening to a few stateside stations with around 15-20 db but F/S is nothing
less than amazing- All I can say is I was listening to a guy in TX rag chewing
on 20M CW who was S-9 and went into the noise when I turned the beam 90 degrees
on him, then he went up to S-4 on the back-side.

Compared to the T-6's I have used over the years, the T-8 just seems to have a
lot better band-width due to lower resonant points. With the 40M RTD's element
parallel with the T-8 boom, and only separated by 4 1/2 feet, I was very glad to
see minimal if any real measurable coupling.

Once we ever get sunspots again, I can't wait to report how the antenna is doing
with DX and contests. My initial impression is that I am glad I followed all of
the suggestions from Tennadyne on the feedline, and feel the T-8 will be a good
performer. Biggest surprise is that the SWR was a lot better than I expected,
all things considered. Antenna is about 40 feet high, from ground to mast
attachment, and is on a Glen Martin 18 foot roof tower. The only down side to
this building project was the tight fit on a few of the elements. It was a bit
stressful but no harm, no foul..tight tolerences on the joints and building things in heat, you might have to play a bit to get everything to fit-.....everything fit and using WD-40 and graphite
worked out. A good one person project to build, but would suggest a lot of
preparation and help for putting up the tower-

I did get a PE report on using the T-8 on the Glen Martin tower- all fb!

73 Paul N0AH

KB9WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2010 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With a little help from a hamBud, I reflected upon my scoring of the T8 - I should have given it a "5". I also failed to mention some major positives as well. The Tennadyne metal work was superb. You have to see the kit of parts to realize just how many precision holes had to be drilled and how many parts had to be fabbed to the proper dimension. Mine were all perfect. The fit was superb as well. This antenna is a great value with darn good performance.

We had great prop this past weekend and I snagged 9 new countries, including some elusive weak signal stations, using the T8 -- it was though the T8 was telling me..."Look Jack, you think I'm only a "4"...I'll show your grayHeaded potBellied hinie what a real antenna can do".

My swr's were all 1.5 or less, f/b and side rejection were good. Band-changing no longer requires a button push or a switch throw. DX chasing is enhanced. Probably the best thing about this antenna design is it's utter simplicity -- having had to repair various antennas over the years, this antenna should be really low maint. :)

K9ZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2010 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My T-8 has been up a bit over five years and for 20-6m has been an exceptional performer.

Mechanically simple, no moving parts, study, and excellent DX performance.

I've mounted a T-28 12 ft above the T-8 without issue.

No not expect to change this antenna for anything else.

Picture and my full wrote up at: http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/repost-tennadyne-antennas/

Steve