Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic Help

Reviews Summary for Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic
Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $788
Description: 8 element 13 to 32 MHz Log Periodic on 18' boom
More info: http://www.tennadyne.com

You can write your own review of the Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic.

KB9WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2010 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With a little help from a hamBud, I reflected upon my scoring of the T8 - I should have given it a "5". I also failed to mention some major positives as well. The Tennadyne metal work was superb. You have to see the kit of parts to realize just how many precision holes had to be drilled and how many parts had to be fabbed to the proper dimension. Mine were all perfect. The fit was superb as well. This antenna is a great value with darn good performance.

We had great prop this past weekend and I snagged 9 new countries, including some elusive weak signal stations, using the T8 -- it was though the T8 was telling me..."Look Jack, you think I'm only a "4"...I'll show your grayHeaded potBellied hinie what a real antenna can do".

My swr's were all 1.5 or less, f/b and side rejection were good. Band-changing no longer requires a button push or a switch throw. DX chasing is enhanced. Probably the best thing about this antenna design is it's utter simplicity -- having had to repair various antennas over the years, this antenna should be really low maint. :)

K9ZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2010 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My T-8 has been up a bit over five years and for 20-6m has been an exceptional performer.

Mechanically simple, no moving parts, study, and excellent DX performance.

I've mounted a T-28 12 ft above the T-8 without issue.

No not expect to change this antenna for anything else.

Picture and my full wrote up at: http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/repost-tennadyne-antennas/

Steve
K9ZW

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2009 13:00 Send this review to a friend
What more could I ask for?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently upgraded from the Tennadyne T-6 which I really enjoyed. My T-8 has flat SWR across the entire range of this antenna. Great support from Tennadyne. It does not get any better than this!

WB7TXG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered from Tennadyne and received my new T8 in about 5 days. Packaging, manual, etc was all complete. Assembly was straight forward ( I had read several articles and saw some pictures ) that greatly helped me assemble the antenna. Took about 2 hours to accomplish assembly.

Taped coax to lower boom and used colins type coax balun. Antenna is at 42 feet. SWR on 10,12,14,18,21,28 bands are all well below 1.5 with very nice bandwidth.

First contact was to Taiwan. I am impressed! Would I buy this antenna again? Yes. Replaced two trap 3 element beams with this log periodic and I am thoroughly convinced I made the right purchase!

W2CXX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2008 11:35 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
THIS ANTENNA IS THE BEST ONE I HAVE EVER USED IN MY 55 YEARS AS A HAM. THE PERFORMANCE IS EXTREMELY GOOD ON ALL BANDS (WHEN OPEN?!) BUT ON 20 MTRS, IT IS A DX HOUND, EVEN WITH 100 WATTS. I HAVE TO CONCUR WITH THE CRITICISM OF THE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS BY OTHERS. I FINALLY IGNORED THEM AND USED THE PICTURES, GETTING IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. WOULD I BUY ANOTHER? ABSODAMLUTELY!

IW4EMV Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2008 06:22 Send this review to a friend
I don't understand...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just few words to tell TENNADYNE T8 is a BIG GUN !!!
it really works GREAT widely from 13 to 30 MHz! no traps, no tuning...
...and it's also very beautiful!

see pictures of my installation:

...I don't understand why the majority of the world HAM community usually despise Log Periodic Dipole Array solutions....... ???

vote:5

W4LWY Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2008 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Tennadyne T8 Log Periodic is what I call the "real deal". Works great and built to last. Roger is a very helpful guy and he'll do what he says!

W4LWY

WA2CCN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's supposed to!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The availability of the WARC bands (12 & 17) between the traditional top 3 (10-15-20) has caused a resurgance in interest in log periodic antennas. Most of the multi-band yagi designs I've seen that include 12 & 17 are a big pile of ugly and inefficient aluminum... and they're frequently using log cells! So, why not a traditional log periodic! It looks... well... "normal". The T8 is every bit as good as the old KLM KT-34's I had (I had 2 of them) in terms of gain, BW (obviously), and F/B ratio. F/S ratio doesn't seem as sharp as the '34, but who cares... it's got 3 more bands. Ironically there isn't much difference i nteh specs between the T6, T8, T10, and even the T12 to justify the added cost. The T8 seems to be a nice compromise and I'm quite happy with it. I've seen some less-than-glowing feedback about the instructions, and I have to agree - there are ambiguities... some photos would be a big help, especially of the end and balun setup. Would I buy it again? Definitely... and I will.

WN4DW Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Today the solar flux index is 68, sunspots are 0 and I worked France, Belgium, Svalbard, Norway and Turkey with my T-8 with 5 watts. Yes I said 5 Watts! The antenna is up at 70 feet which is about treetop height here in West Tennessee where the elevation is 480 feet above sea level.
Yesterday I worked Swains Island (N8S) with my little IC703 turned down to 5 watts. All of these contacts on phone! And no I don't cheat. I have a YS-60 in line right behind my little rig to insure it is no more than 5 watts out of the rig. You can figure the erp at the antenna with 105 feet of rg213 is less than 5 watts.
If that doesn't tell you what you need to know about the Tennadyne T-8 then you don't need to know. I don't care what the "experts" say about Log periodics. This is the greatest thing since peanut butter as far as I'm concerned.
The antenna has been up for a year now and endured winds that destroyed a friends vertical that lives within half a mile of me and it hasn't even blinked. The front to back is great and the front to side is amazing. It tunes all the bands from 10 to 20. No moving parts on top of the tower except for the rotator, and the price is very affordable as compared to about everything else out there. Since I bought mine 2 other hams in the area have bought one as well and they love theirs as well.
What more can I say?

N4PY Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2006 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a T8 at my previous QTH for 10 years. The antenna always performed flawlessly and was never touched during this period. I have moved to a new QTH and my son inherited my T8. So I bought a new one for the new QTH. The antenna is a winner all the way. The front to back is excellent even on 20 meters. I highly recommend this antenna to anyone that wants an antenna that will perform well and be maintenance free.