Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-208R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-208R
Yaesu FT-208R Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $279
Description: Vintage Handie Talkie
More info: http://foxtango.org/Yaesu-Handhelds/Yaesu-Handheld-Radios.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-208R.

W6TMV Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Great oldtimer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT208R new over 30 years ago and have been using it off/on since. Only thing I have replaced is the battery pack. I used to run it into a Henry Radio 75watt amp, but now just use it for local simplex work as it has no PL in it...would like to add one if anyone has some suggestions. I use a newer FT60 for repeater work, but the old timer is a great backup.

AD7C Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2009 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Works Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one off eBay because the price was just right. $10 with shipping. Ni-cad battery was dead but the unit was in great condition.

I have bought a new battery, added a PL board, and found a YM-24 mic on ebay for a few bucks. Total investment around $25.

This radio is a definitely 1980's technology. LCD is not very easy to read from any angle but straight on, battery life is OK, it is heavy, no PL board unless you add one, only 2.5W on hi power, memory is limited... blah, blah, blah.

Who cares?

The good part. I LOVE THIS HT. The audio quality on this radio is excellent. Never had a better sounding HT. I am constantly asked "what rig are you on?" then told "it has great audio". It sits on my desk and I use it connected to a PS and external antenna. Sometimes it goes into the backyard with me to rag-chew on the local repeater. About the best $25 I have ever spent.

If you see one at a local ham fest and the price is right, pick one up.

N1IRA Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2007 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Old HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one at a Ham Fest for $25 in mint condition. This old HT work very well for it's age and the audio reports I get are excellent. You can still order batteries for this HT as well.
It performs better than my old Kenwood TR-2600. If you want an old work horse you can't go wrong with one of these.

KC8VSF Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first piece of ham equipment was the FT-208R. The only thing that I have had to do is replace the battery, and they are still available at a reasonable price. I use this radio, not only at home in the charger, but also in the field. I have never had any problems with the radio. I have actually dropped this radio in a puddle of water.. waited three days and it works just fine. If you get a chance to purchase one of these, by all means, pick it up. You will be surprised what it will do.

VE7VJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2006 20:05 Send this review to a friend
pick one up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one along with the NC-8 table top power supply, microphone and a docking booster since the early '90's. No longer works on batteries but i have been using it with the power supply. Always get reports of good audio.
Overall, a well built radio. I'd certainly pick one up if the chance came along.

N2EQV Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2006 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Still going & going  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I am still using this radio since I first purchased it in 1983. I would suggest using the 700mh battery as opposed to the stock 600mh battery.

This was my first ham radio and it still works today. The only thing that was added to this radio was a code encoder to add PL to this radio as it does not come with PL. This was the workhouse 2 meter radio HT of the 80's. Its only 2.5 watts on high and 1 watt on low power, but has good audio.

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2006 23:38 Send this review to a friend
Great The Boat Anchor HT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am really surprised no one has yet reviewed the Venerable old FT-208R vintage handie talkie. I had my first FT-208R from 1983 to 1991 I sold it to buy a my new IC-24AT dual bander. I recently got the fortune to get a really Mint '83 FT-208R Handie. Wow has that thing ever got nice receive and TX audio and is it ever tight for rejecting Intermod. Our club station VE7NA also has a '81 vintage the early FT-208R 25 years old and still works great. If you see a FT-208R cheap pick it up they are still a great Brick Handie.
Gerry VE7BGP