Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Austin Condor Help

Reviews Summary for Austin Condor
Austin Condor Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Tuned 1/4 wave elements are provided for improved High Band VHF,UHF and 800/1000MHz performance.Designed for primary operation on 150-147,450-512 and 806-896MHz.
More info: http://www.austinantenna.net

You can write your own review of the Austin Condor.

W2GLD Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2011 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Good for VHF-Lo and Aircraft ONLY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is advertised as being the best overall for wideband scanner users; after trying it for a few days and comparing it to the Watson WSMA-801 & WBNC-801, this antenna just isn't worth the money. That said, for those who thrive on lowband communications and aircraft monitoring, this antenna may be for you as it performed pretty good in those frequency ranges; however for normal public-safety on VHF-Hi, UHF, and 800; is a huge dummy load to carry around on an otherwise compact scanner. Don't waist your money, I was able to return mine and at $39.95 from www.scannermaster.com; the Watson is a much better buy at only $26.95...

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2010 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Pulls in weak ones  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember when I was at Lentini's a few years ago with a radio I needed repaired. That was when I found out how well the Condor worked. The radio was tuned to the National Weather Service, and I heard nothing but static. The Condor went on, and I heard the NWS full quieting. Though not made for low band, it will work for local low band monitoring.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2006 19:16 Send this review to a friend
The best Scanner antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the Austin Condor antenna for some time now. I use it on my Radio Shack PRO-97 handheld scanner. I have used antennas made my Comet,Dimaond and even Radio Shack and none seem to do as well. I am very impressed with its design. It is flexable,but very durable. I have used mine with a BNC mag mount on the roof of my car and it does great. I am so impressed with its ability to hear things the others fall short on. I have wanted one for years and finally got one. It was a wise investment. It is made stronger that any Diamond or Comet antenna. I use it to listen to public service broadcast such as police and fire. It does not do as well on the ham bands because its not made to cover those. If you want a ham antenna buy one. If you want the antenna for your scanner buy a condor. You will not be disappointed in your purchase.