Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond K9000TM / K9000RLM Motorized Mount Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond K9000TM / K9000RLM Motorized Mount
Diamond K9000TM / K9000RLM Motorized Mount Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $110
Description: Raise and lower your antenna with a touch of the button with the K9000 motorized mount for trunk lips, hatchbacks and luggage racks.

Special Features:
Accepts "Ground Independent" antennas up to 45" in length
0-90 degree range; operates from 12VDC with fused cigarette plug
Includes 20' cable to switch
Compatible with Diamond C-series base/cable assemblies
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k9000tm.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond K9000TM / K9000RLM Motorized Mount.

VA3DUX Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
My unit has gone through Five Canadian winters, never missed a operation.
Even ran into the garage several times with the antenna up, just had to help it down a little, no problems. Dave VA3DUX

WA4KWK Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works like a champ. No issues. The over size luggage rack mount did not fit my Ford Expedition. Had to fabricate a bracket. But the installation was simple. The unit runs smooth as silk. Very pleased

W6KKO Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Works well on my daily driver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the K9000LRMO which is the oversized version for the luggage rack mount. It sits center of my SUV roof and works very well lifting and lowering the Diamond NR770HB antenna on my daily driver so I can keep it in the garage.

The 5 is because I forgot to lower the antenna one time and it clipped my garage door. The mechanism in the mount let the antenna drop down...well it was forced to release it as I entered the garage. No problems raising it right back up. No damage to mount or antenna. This product works very well for my needs.

AI5O Rating: 2/5 Dec 13, 2013 22:58 Send this review to a friend
I'm still cautious  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before I bought the Diamond K9000 motorized mount, I checked the reviews on eham.net, and several other sites. Some of the reviews had me worried, but most gave favorable reviews.
I purchased the K9000LRM on October 28, 2013 and installed it on my vehicle a couple of days later.
First of all, I *love* the way it works.
Unfortunately on December 11, 2013, as I was going through a McDonald's drive through, I pressed the DOWN button (because of the low overhead clearance)...and NOTHING HAPPENED. No motor movement -- not even a noise.
So I had to to pull in to a parking spot so that I could remove the antenna from the K9000 before heading through the drive-through.
Once I got home, I did some tests on the unit and discovered that 12V was being supplied to the motor, but the motor didn't care.
As I said, I really enjoyed the way the K9000 worked...before it STOPPED working. I contacted Diamond, and the K9000 motor is on its way back for repair/replacement. I really hope that when I receive the repaired/replaced unit that I will get considerably more than three months of usefulness out of it the next time around.

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Five years later...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wrote my last review over five years ago. My motorized mount is still working flawlessly. I've even driven into the garage a few times and forgot to put the antenna down; no problem because the mount just folds down without breaking (though the antenna takes a beating). I highly recommend this mount.

K7RFW Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2013 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed this around June of 2012 with a C213SNMO mount and NR770HBNMO antenna (chose that since the others seemed to be more fragile by the reviews). The platform is the forward cross bar of a 2012 Toyota Sienna. We just went through a very cold winter (around 3 deg F at night and 15-25 during the day) where it sat outside at night for part of it and I used it about once a day going into a parking garage for an hour. Since the end of January I have been parking inside at night so it got used at least once a day for that.

The bad. I could not figure out how to get the C213SNMO to fit in the mount. I was talking to the dealer (HRO in Anaheim, CA) and she knew exactly what my problem was since apparently many users have the same issue. It does not fit the way you would expect, but I did get it up using her advice and it is stable.

Another issue, I wish there was a way to tell if the antenna is up or down, other than looking outside.

And a final issue, according to what I read from Diamond, this antenna is only meant to be used where water stays liquid. I bought it based up on what other folks in cold icy/snowy areas said about it.

I did use some dielectric compound (STUF) in the antenna base since I did not like the way it was open to salt water intrusion, and it seems to be holding up, even at 80 MPH (legal speed) into a head wind and various hail, rain, and other weather including snowplows tossing a wave of gunk on me from the other side of the freeway.

I marked it as a 4 since the instructions are so poor and I am not happy with the way the antenna, cable mount, and 9000 mate.

Ray
K7RFW

K5CPF Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2010 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Bad fuse?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed mine. It didn't work at first and a little troubleshooting pointed to the fuse. It visually looked fine, but there was no continuity. After that frustration, the installation went fine.

Time will tell how durable it is, but it appears to be the perfect solution for my garage to garage lifestyle.

N0AWN Rating: 2/5 Nov 3, 2008 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Weak Mechanical Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two K900RLM's, the first lasting a little more than 1 year the second just failed after 2 years. The snap action micro switch failed in each unit. Good luck finding a replacement for those. Both rusted badly internally and the plastic gears were so worn it was only a matter of time what failed first. I mounted a base loaded Maxrad 1/2 VHF antenna so weight wasn't an issue.

I expected more from a $100+ investment.

On the upside, while they work, they work well and the NMO mount was built to last. Using silver/Teflon RG316/U, it outlasted both of the K9000's handling the 160W flawlessly.

The motorized mount is great idea with a failure to launch.

AA6A Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2007 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Brackets are supporting my HF Antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contrary to the negative experiences of the other two posts, the K9000 unit I've been running has withstood everything thrown at it for years. It is rock solid, and its SG7500 antenna has been hit several times with tree branches, low overhangs and once (only once!) pulling into my own garage.

The clutch mechanism is robust and still does the job at speeds (on the track) well in excess of 120 mph.

It has been so durable, that in the process of exploring a mounting design for my vehicle's rooftop side rail mounted HF Antenna (a dressed up High Sierra SideKick), with Wayne Bowman's help at Diamond, I designed and built a mount using the luggage mount brackets version hardware from the K9000.

To see exactly what I did take a look a the photos via the HF Mobile link near the bottom of my QRZ AA6A details page.

A pair of the Diamond K9000 Luggage Rack Bracket Mounts and their round flat top plates were used to support a custom aluminum plate, which in turn supports the entire HF mobile antenna. There's been no perceptible metal fatigue with this setup, and it has been tested at speeds (on the track) in excess of 120mph.

I've enjoyed Diamond's products working wonderfully for many years and I feel it's important to share my experiences with those considering the K9000.

It is also important to note that two (2) versions of the K9000 are offered. They differ only with regard to the metal bracket mount design. The version I use is the Luggage Rack Mount version (again see the photos via my AA6A Detail page link.) The Trunk Lip mount version have not used and may be the subject of the problems encountered by the other reviewers, but they were not specific in their post.

N4VNV Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2007 12:42 Send this review to a friend
FAIR QUALITY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Actually, this is about the "Non-motorized" lay down mounts. I purchased two of them for my SUV luggage rack. They are supposed to be identical, but not so! One works fine, the other nothing fits properly. The threaded portion of the wing nut is too short. Causing the assembly to come apart when loosening for lay-down. And the "wing" (head) of the wing nut is too large and will not clear when loosening prior to fold over. These mounts are expensive and should work properly every time. I'm very disappointed with this "50/50" quality.