Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | QSOnet CQ100 Help

Reviews Summary for QSOnet CQ100
QSOnet CQ100 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$32.00 US per year
Description: Virtual Ionosphere for Amateur Radio. An internet based HF simulation system.
More info: http://www.qsonet.com

You can write your own review of the QSOnet CQ100.

KK4OAB Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2014 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Good Bang 4 the Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a 79 y.o. new Ham Tech of one year. My SS funds are limited, so I try hard to get the best bang for the buck. I operate OTA on a Kenwood TS680 multi-band, hooked to a wire Delta Loop 15' up in the trees. It amazingly works, with contacts from Europe, N and S America and the middle east. Lots of fun WHEN THE SUNSPOTS OR THE THUNDER AND LIGHTNING DON'T TAKE ME OFF THE AIR.

Enter QSOnet CQ100 (& HamSphere). Wow, easy to set up on W8, easy to operate, very simple and I have made more contacts in a week than a year of HF. From north Florida my little antenna/radio combination could never reach NZ, but the SDR did! And a repeater daily net in Arizona and...well you get the idea. I also operate on HamSphere as well and have QSO cards from over 40 countries in 2 months. My ham club buddies tell me it's not "real" radio. Ok, so what? I have fun and do lots of ragchewing as I was told was the purpose before I became a ham...that's the purpose of Ham Radio - FUN. I don't like contesting and its 'slam bam thank you ma'am' 15 sec contacts. I am a talker. It's not for everyone, but if I lived in a condo or care facility or liked hamming it while on vacation in a motel, and wanted to continue my hobby, it can be done with QSOnet.
So where's the problem? You don't like it then don't use it. Some hams have told me I am not a real ham because I have not learned CW yet. The internet is here folks, get used to seeing more and more marriages between hobby radio and a computer. Like in EchoLink or FLDigi or Lamonica, QSOnet and HamSphere are the future if our hobby is to survive. Kids nowadays think Amateur Radio is an old man's hobby...they want computer stuff with all the bells and whistles. Virtual Ionesphere is the answer and the future...but don't throw out your old HeathKit just yet.

KA4PNV Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2013 07:38 Send this review to a friend
CQ100 and Windows 8.1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm trying to figure out how to run CQ100 under
windows 8.1.The CQ100 site has several bad reviews
on this operating system.Hamsphere runs great and
there's info on how to set it up.Nothing on CQ
100.As a rule nothing gets installed on my pc's
without a positive review.Also there seems to be
no way that I know of to enter a message into any
discussion forum on the site.And worse I'm finding very few users on CQ100 and finding more activity on Hamsphers.Would be nice if they opened
up a band or two for general use and give everyone
listening privileges.If was lunching a similar program for ham radio this is the direction I would go.And have a SDR like console instead of
the ue guee like transceivers in CQ 100 and Hamsphere.Better eye candy Buts that's me

WA4LJO Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 09:16 Send this review to a friend
I have found CQ100 a real joy to use.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
CQ100 is just a simple way to enjoy ham radio for those of us who can no longer do high frequency radio, It has become a real joy to me and I make contacts every time I use it with hams all over the world. I really suggest you try this program!!

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
CQ100 is a VOIP system that operates like an RF ham radio. It does require a ham license - so no interlopers are allowed. It does not require any antena - as it is not "real" radio.

However, it allows many hams to be "on the air" when their circumstances (apartment, hospital, condo, etc.) would dictate otherwise.

I use RF and CQ100. Both provide a lot of enjoyment. There are a number of nets operating on the system.

Another real plus is the ability to share pictures while talking.

It is the most enjoyment I have had for the dollar spent in nearly 50 years of ham radio. The $32 a year comes out to less than a dime a day.

I have been using CQ100 for three or four years.

W2DAB Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Great service for Hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the CQ100 software on my Dell XP machine and am registered with QSOnet and am very happy with the service.

In two days I talked to a Ham in Ireland and another in Korea.

Others who have said this is not Radio are 100% correct, but it is a great support for amateur radio people.

Think of it as an adjunct to local ham meetings and a way to speak to other hams about the hobby and what they are experiencing.

The softare is clever and well designed and I had a blast. I highly recommend trying this out*

To detractors who say it's no better than a chat room I disagree... the administrator requires a scan of your ham license before letting you on the system so it is very much closed to the general public.

K5UJ Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2008 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Does not make sense  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm giving it a 3 because I have to assign some number evaluation and I want to make mine one that will not bring the average up or down. That's because I'm not a QsoNET user but rather an observer due to the fact that I have several friends who use it.

Having given that caveat, there are several things about qsoNET that do not make sense to me, all based on the fact that as a VOIP system, it is free from US Part 97 and all the other ham radio regulations we must abide by in our respective countries. Yet, the management mandates all of these "over the air" type requirements which I find silly. These partly defeat the purpose and advantage of VOIP-it's as if the FCC imposed all of the terrestrial broadcast rules on satellite radio and cable television--it would make no sense. Because of this a big incentive to use QSOnet is gone; one may as well operate on the real ham bands where the rules have to be followed and where they are needed.

N0JYC Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 13:55 Send this review to a friend
It must be down today...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Also tried to log on today. It must be down. This is not ham radio. But, its something else that is fun. Try it and use it for what it is...I find it to be a lot of fun.

N0JYC Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2008 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Not Really Ham Radio...But Really a Lot of Fun!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Anyone who has tried this neat system knows exactly what it is before they try it. Its VOIP. Not ham radio. But it's hams talking to hams from around the world with crystal clear "QSOs." I've made many friends here and enjoy the QRM -free ragchews. I've found this to be a superbly engineered product, that apparently isn't for everybody, but has added a lot of fun and excitement to my shack for a very reasonable cost.

G4VKE Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2008 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't pretend to be radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried CQ100 after seeing an article in 'RadCom'. I have no HF gear, and for the amount of time I would have available to operate HF it wouldn't be worth paying out for it. I have very little room for antennas, and so CQ100 is ideal for me. I'm not a constructor, I don't experiment, but I do like a ragchew! So there aren't many operators on most of the time, well try the HF bands. When they are open most operators only want the '59 OM next please' type of qso. My local repeater is dead most of the time, and only has the few regular operators, and while not knocking them at all, you do run out of things to say sometimes! Every station contacted on CQ100 has had a nice long chat, and I have yet to hear any bad operating. OK, so it's not radio, but making it available to hams only does help restrict it. I subscribed straight away, $32 well spent. Like most things, if you don't like it, don't use it.

N7BNT Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2008 09:18 Send this review to a friend
5+ Stars for this imaginitive and polished product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I stumbled upon QSOnet CQ100 after I saw it mentioned on an email reflector I subscribe to.

I was stunned at how nice it is! Beyond that, I think the whole idea of this product is innovative and imaginative, while it's implementation across multiple servers is brilliant. CQ100 reeks of pride and a labor of love by the developer, it is a very polished application with huge attention to even the smallest detail. As a software developer, it is clear to me that a ridiculous number of hours have been spent by the developer making CQ100 and it's supporting network a reality.

Reading several of the other reviews here left me quite puzzled - some reviewers seem confused about the concept of a ** simulator **.

CQ100 reminds me of another amazing (and inexpensive) simulator: X-Plane Flight Simulator. Even though it is an amazingly accurate flight simulator, it would never replace real flying (nor was it ever intended to). But when I'm not flying a real airplane, X-Plane is an excellent alternative. The real thing and the simulator co-exist nicely and cooperatively as they should... (plus I can hone certain flying skills and try things safely in the simulator that I would never try in real flight... imagine landing a Boeing 777 at a tiny neighborhood airstrip!) Plus, I suspect that many, many, many non-pilots purchase X-Plane just for the pure enjoyment of "flying" a plane virtually. (p.s. I have no financial interest in X-Plane, I'm just a long-time customer)

And so it should be with a radio simulator, and I believe CQ100 is definitely on the right track. Using it will be in addition to, and not as a substitute for, actual radio operation for me.

In the best of all worlds, enough people will open their minds to having FUN with CQ100, will find innovative and unique ways of using it, and will share a couple bucks a month with the developer so it can grow and expand.

Should a ham license be required to use it? Of course not... flight simulators do not require a pilot's license. Should there be rules and guidelines for users? Of course there should... to make the experience positive for all. Having a purchase price/subscription fee will serve nicely as a "filter" to keep many of the idiots away.

I found a very nice headset to use with CQ100: a Plantronics DSP 500 works great.

Check it out! CQ100 is free to use for 3 months, then about the cost of a half-cup of Starbucks a month to keep. I strongly recommend CQ100 and hope that it continues to grow and evolve.