Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain DX77 Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain DX77
Hy-Gain DX77 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $429.95
Description: The DX-77A, no radials Required. Covers 40/30/20/17/15/12/10

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain DX77.

W9NM Rating: 0/5 Nov 1, 2004 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Why bother???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my opinion, the only excuse for the quality of the construction of the DX77A can be that the original design specifications and drawings were ignored… for ease of procurement, cost, ??? ... and an exceptionally shoddy product is being shipped. I won’t bore you with an enumerated list, if you want one, request via email… they range from misapplication of materials to very obvious damage during manufacturing processes.

If you aren’t able to do some simple strength of materials calculations, and don’t know the proper application criteria of different types of metals, I don’t think that you should consider this product. I spent several evenings making new parts, and the better part of a weekend for assembly and tuning. If you can buy a used one… cheap… then make the new parts that are required… or maybe the older product may be OK as is.

I work about 99% cw, and moving this thing down the bands was not easy. Initially, a couple of bands work great, and the rest are out. Some more new parts and mods and now the tuning is good enough not to require an aux ant tuner at my normal operating frequencies.

I purchased this antenna, at this particular time, because I needed a quick solution… not because I wanted to enter into an R&D project. Had I known that $400 buys so little, I would have postponed the project and scratch built it. I can’t understand a company shipping a product that guarantees that the customer will never purchase from them again.

On air performance is on par for this type of antenna… it is better than using a dummy load. Hi. This design fits a particular criteria… the main considerations being space required, and ability to tune without radials. The four horizontal tubes on the bottom are not radials, but a capacity hat for the bottom side of the vertical dipole. Oh, plan on connecting the outside tips of the tubes together with wire to add capacity.

While I may be getting a little old and irritable, I am a CIO for several companies – including a machine tool manufacturer… and over the years I have been an engineer, project engineer, and engineering manager in the areas of military, consumer, and industrial products. It’s extremely difficult to make a ‘perfect’ product, however, the rhyme or reason behind shipping the current incarnation of the DX77A is inexplicable.
VE2CU Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2003 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Low Angle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the antenna assembled for a few months but too busy to put it up...Finally erected last week & amazed at results barefoot, especially on low angle DX, 30 & 40 meters. She's mounted on a tripod on our backyard small shed. Easy to tune for the cw portion, best VSWR I could achieve w/MFJ259B was 1.6 on 40 & 1.3 on higher bands; not bad although slightly noisier than a dipole, I appreciate the small footprint. Although quite sturdy, proper guying IS A MUST though; a bit concerned as it just went thru 50 mph+ winds but no damage to report. Granted it's not as efficient as my 10 - 20 meter MA5B, it's still a pleasure to use. Yes, I would recommend it for smaller lots.
73's, Michel VE2CU
K7NA Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2001 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Better Than Its Competition  Time owned: more than 12 months
A retired ham buddy of mine in Sparks, Nev. decided to play with several commercial vertical antennas a few years ago. For fun, he mounted on 10' poles (with separate feedlines) a DX-77, a R-7 and a Gap Titan. He had the feedlines of the three verticals on a switch and could change to each antenna instantly. For many months, I met him on the air, on 40, 30 and/or 20 CW, and he would run through the three antennas. At the time, I was using a R-7 and thought it was working fairly well. Without doubt, every time my friend ran the test, particularly on 40 and 30, he would ALWAYS have the best signal on the DX-77, followed by the R-7, with the Titan a very distant third. In time, he sold the Titan and later excised himself of the R-7.
I decided to do the same thing; I sold the R-7 and purchased the DX-77. I mounted it on a 10' pole in my backyard, ran the RG-8 coax down the pole, under ground and into the shack. It worked marvelously. I worked much DX on it running either barefoot or with 500 watts. I never experienced a single problem. I had learned with my R-7 NEVER to run the coax from the antenna to the shack above ground. I found that laying the coad on the gound or slightly under it decoupled the shield of the feedline so that I did not experience RF on the outside of the coax shield (and all the problems that go with such an occurance).
I ultimately sold the antenna to my brother, who is a ham, a year ago when I put up a 80 meter center fed zepp, and he left it outside on the ground while he planned his installation. Unfortunately, the copper coil on the 20 meter trap corroded badly and became defective. He and I have both called the MFJ (yuk!) factory (Hy Gain is now owned by MFJ) asking for replacement parts and have been told variously that MFJ no longer manufactures that model even though it is featured in their current catalog, and the trap coil winding machine has been broken for five months and they don't know when it will ever be fixed! What kind of customer service is that?!
So, its a fine all round antenna if you can find one and the parts to back it up. I can't say the same for MFJ.

Vince K7NA
WN5PFI Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2001 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DX-77 is not really a vertical; it is a modified Windom without the problems normally associated with the design. They achieve this with an elaborate matching network and clever way to design traps. The result is a truly astonishing performance. I have mine mounted near trees, metal gutters, and fences: everywhere it should not work. I have been able to consistently work every station that I can hear with a modest 100 watt station. These include worldwide DX back in 1997 band conditions. I could not recommend this antenna more highly unless you have room for a Yagi or elaborate phased array of some sort.
W8QIN Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2001 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new 1998. Has survived several 80mph winds. Made better than Cushcraft and can't be beat. Covers 10-40 meters easily with swr below 1.5 with no tuner needed. It truly needs no ground radials. Paid $330.00 for mine new and measured all sections 5 times, before putting it up and I have NEVER had a single problem. I can talk anywhere in the world with ease.
AB5CC Rating: 1/5 Dec 16, 2000 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Hy-Gain vs.. Butternut  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I received a 6 month old Hy-Gain DX77 from the family if a local Silent Key in June of 2000. I must say that it is a beautiful and well made antenna. I already had a Butternut HF6V installed out in the yard with the 75 ohm matching section and 30 radials of various lengths laying on top of the ground. (This is on the edge of a wooded area where I never have to mow.) I brought the DX77 home and pulled the Butternut out of the ground and put the DX77 in its place. The radials stayed attached to the Butternut as the DX77 does not need them and using them will de-tune the antenna. I hooked a 70' run of 9913 coax to the DX77 and it was down 2 "S" units from the Butternut. I did the test twice to be sure. I think that would be 12db down from the Butternut. Needless to say, I still have the butternut in place. The DX77 may work for some folks who do not have room for radials and it sure beats nothing, but if you have room for 20-30 radials, I would recommend the Butternut.

Kenneth Eppler
KC0JFK Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2000 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Vertical  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great vertical antenna! The tilt base makes the antenna a breeze to put up.It is easy to adjust, and very broad banded.I have made contacts in Estonia,Ireland,England,and Japan. It has a very reasonable footprint,as far as size goes,and performs beyond my expectations. However I would recommend guys, even though the manufacturer states that they are not required. This antenna is still in production,and can be purchased from MFJ..
K2WU Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2000 16:08 Send this review to a friend
One of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
DXCC total has gone from 240 to 325 with this antenna. It is ground mounted 15 feet from the house and 15 feet from a line of trees. Get full bandwidth on 30 through 10 meters with less than 1.5:1 SWR. Get about 150 kHz of 2:1 SWR bandwidth on 40 meters. Unlike some companies that will sell you a counterpoise (Butternut) as a stop-gap measure, the DX77 is designed to work with its own very small counterpoise. Goes together in less than an hour. Does detune a little in a rainstorm, however. I've tried Cushcraft and Butternut. Nothing compares to the simplicity, ease of installation and performance as the DX77. If you can still find one (does MFJ still offer it or is the AV640 a replacement?), grab it.