Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Monarch Ham-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Monarch Ham-2
Monarch Ham-2 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $99 Aprox.
Description: Four band solid state general coverage shortwave receiver; manufactured in Japan; sold in U. S. during 70s. Coverage was AM broadcast plus 2-30Mhz shortwave. Follow-on to the HAM-1 which was a tube model.

You can write your own review of the Monarch Ham-2.

K1VCT Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2016 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Good starter SWL radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got a HAM-2 for my birthday when I was 11 or 12 years old. I think it was 1968. It came with a collapsing whip antenna about half a meter long, and the sensitivity of the set wasn't too bad at all.

As a kid, I'd tune in the Voice of America "Breakfast Show", and listen to Radio Netherlands and the BBC and Deutsche Welle and of course WWV - as well as all the various broadcast stations across the bands in those times.

I did have a small problem with mine - it totally died after about two years time. No nothin'. Sent it to a place called Caravelle Electronics for repair, and they replaced a capacitor and it was good as new. I'm assuming it was in the power supply.

My dial was just about spot on for tuning, able to tune WWV (and it was marked at 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25mhz as "WWV"). It was decent to listen to CB'ers chat away at night.

I kept that radio until about 1998 or so, then gave it to a co-worker who had an interest. The only other "maintenance" it got was an occasional dusting inside and out, and in the very late 1980's, I have the top cover a sprucing up with some phosphoric acid to cut the light rusting, and nice fresh coat of battleship grey paint.

Other than that one issue, it served well, and it was my gateway into the world of radio, culminating with my HAM ticket.

N4KH Rating: 3/5 Oct 8, 2006 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Ok as 1st Set  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my start in shortwave listening and ham radio with one of these. Quite sensitive but not at all selective. BFO function makes CW/SSB reception possible but stability above 20 meters is very poor. Nice looking analog dial. Good for Broadcast DXing.