Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Featuretech AT-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Featuretech AT-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner
Featuretech AT-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $275
Description: OEM Version: CG3000
More info: http://featuretech.co.nz

You can write your own review of the Featuretech AT-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner.

JV257 Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2007 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent VAlue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in a restricted space qth I have tried 1/2 size G5RV and trap dipole antennas with varying degrees of success.

I have been thinking about experimenting with an elevated vertical antenna for some time as I am being swamped by QRM on the horizontal antennas.

Having seen the Featuretech Tuners advertised on ebay I took the plunge and bought one. For around 360 bucks (AUS) I thought it was pretty competitive with other smart tuners available.

The instructions and specs stated that an antenna length of at least 8 metres would tune down to 160 metres.

Looking around the back yard I found an old "station master" 11 metre base station antenna and a couple of other pieces of aluminum.

With a bit of experimentation I found I could telescope additional pieces of aluminum into the old antenna and come up with an 8.3 metre total length. The original antenna had a loading coil at the base which I removed and jumpered the feed direct to the SO-239 socket in the base plate.

I mounted the Featuretech tuner at the top of a 3 metre (9 foot) TV mast bolted to the end of one of the house brick walls.

The elongated station master was mounted directly above this with a very short piece of copper wire banana plugged into the SO-239 socket and attached the butterfly nut on the tuner output.

Counterpoise! Counterpoise, what would I use as a counterpoise? - well the house was constructed with aluminum flashing around the eaves and gutters so I ran hard drawn copper wire directly from the tuner earth down to the flashing at a couple of points.

Results?

Well I figured seeing as I had never worked on 160 metres I would try there first.

Applying 15 watts of AM carrier I watched as the tuner brought the SWR down to 1.6 to 1. Hmm onwards and upwards - the further results were:

80m = 1.5 to 1
15m = 1.3 to 1
12m = 1.4 to 1
10m = 1.2 to 1
6m = 1.4 to 1
(the literature supplied with the tuner states that it is not guaranteed for 6 metres but what the hey - it worked!)

So there you have it 160 thru 6 on one antenna!

I have worked 3 states in VK on 160 a JA on 17 and the QRM is 3 S points lower.

I can certainly recommend the Fetauretech AT -3000