Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain 14AVQ Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain 14AVQ
Hy-Gain 14AVQ Reviews: 34 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $189.95
Description: 10/15/20/40 Meters
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=AV-14AVQ

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain 14AVQ.

VE3EUT Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2014 16:28 Send this review to a friend
good antenna but little surprise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've purchased this antenna from Hy-Gain on Dayton 2012. Nice finish, antenna connector is cheap but good enough. I didn't expect silver plated one for the price I paid. The only thing, is a crack on the one of plastic trap cap. I applied some pvc primer and cement and made it like new. Another problem was oversized U-bolts. I had to insert another piece of 1 1/4" pipe to secure antenna on pipe mast. And the last but not least, they put in antenna box a bag with good but random stainless steel hardware such as bolts, washers, nuts and stuff like that but forget about clamps. This is good that Lowes is just a mile away from my home but they might definitely make rural ham pissed off. Tuning procedure took just 2 iterations to make sure it fits 40 and 20 metres exactly how I want it. Yes, I'm picky with that.
I'm not sure if this is the best one you can have for that price and size but this one is far far more predictable than GAP Titan DX. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who do not want to dance around antenna with MFJ-259 and shaman amulets to tune that properly.

NW3Y Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2014 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna if done right  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with this antenna has been good. I bought my first 14AVQ in May 2005 for my Vermont QTH and it works very well with five 12ft radials. I worked FT5ZM with 500 watts on 40cw with this antenna. Bought second one a few years later for my home QTH while I renovated the beams. It works well too. Periodically I have to clean the traps from spiders and yes you can get water in the traps. If SWR gets screwy, see prior sentence. Its easy to put together and will perform well as a trap vertical. It takes up very little space. Very satisfied.

IT9JCB Rating: 3/5 May 21, 2013 19:23 Send this review to a friend
MFJ poor quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned two 14avq in 25 years, good antenna with solid construction. So when I moved to the new QTH about one year ago I bought a new one from MFJ.
After six monts the last section in the top collapsed in a very strange horizontal position without apparent reasons as wind etc..
So I decided to buy another one to use as spare part, I replaced the top section and the antenna was ok again.
Just few days ago I noticed the that under moderate wind the 40m SWR was going up and down, noticed also as the resonance point moves about 100KHz up or down.
I did not unsderstand where the problem is because all the other bands are going well, may be something in some junction or trap.
I got very disappointed, remembering how good was this antenna when it was built by Hy-Gain. Forget old Hy-Gain brand and its legendary antennas...

N7INO Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 14:18 Send this review to a friend
80 meter add on  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been in use for 5 years and never a problem. I added 80 mts and works well. 60 feet of electric fence wire under top hat screw and tied off about 6 feet off the ground and works well and helped receive on the other bands. A easy fix and works like it should. For the cost of the add on about $3.50 It is now the cheapest 10-80 vertical out there and works GREAT. 73 Jim

W4NRY Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2012 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Good Old Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased it in 1969 from Hy-Gain and it still is in great shape (no trap leaks)! Apparently, the newer ones weren't made as robust. I added 20 ground radials and the difference was very noticeable, loads great. Worked a lot of European DX. I have a space limitation and have considered replacing it with a newer model, but it keeps on surprising...

IT9BQP Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2010 05:54 Send this review to a friend
inverted 20 mt trap  Time owned: months
I recently purchased the antenna directly from the 'HY GAIN', unfortunately in my case, the trap of 20 meters was also reversed, and lacked the protection of black plastic, which I had to build the lathe. The quality of materials looks good to me. I suggest the manufacturer to make changes due. 73 from IT9BQP.

NR7N Rating: 0/5 Aug 15, 2010 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Awful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 14AVQ to replace an aging Hustler. When I assembled the antenna I found the materials inferior and all of the joints fastened by hose clamps slipped somewhat even though tightened. When I put the antenna up, it was ground mounted, it would not even remain vertical. It "listed" about 15 degrees to one side. This problem was caused by the traps being mechanically wobbly. Fortunately I was able to return it but it took several months to get my money back as there was a complicated route between the dealer I bought it from and Hy-Gain. I called Hy-gain about this issue and I did not receive much of an argument about the antenna.

This is not the old Hy-Gain quality I was used to. It's a shame.

DH4SC Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2010 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the AV-14AVQ for some days now, had several other verticals before.
The AV14 is cheap, well build and works as is should do.
Getting good SWR was a liitle bit difficult on 15m and 20m, at resonance SWR is 1.5 +/- and about 2 at band edges. 10m and 40m SWR is great got about 250 kHz bandwidth by SWR 2. Resonance on 40m at 7080kHz with SWR 1.1
My antenna is groundmounted with 16 radials in the ground 15 - 30 feet long + a 2,5m long groundrod under the concrete of the mast stub.
Works great for me, no problem to get into the US on all bands, had contacts to VK, YV and HK on 40m with 100 watts.
So I can say, this vertical works as well as or better than similar verticals but is much cheaper. Im very pleased !!!

KE5OKQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2008 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my delayed one year update for the antenna. As stated in in earlier posts, the antenna takes 20 minutes to assemble, is easy to tune and reliable. It has held up well in realtively high winds. I later added a DX Enginering tilt mount which surely saved it from destruction during hurricane Ike.

Mine is ground mounted with a dozen simple radials under the soil and has performed well chasing DX. It isn't a giant beam, but a vertical so you have to have reasonable expectations. Snagging Australia and Russia from Texas were not a problem.

Now the cons: During heavy sustained rain the traps get water in them and SWR can go haywire for a couple of days. This is compounded by spiders clogging the trap drain holes with webs. I finally sealed the top of the traps and cleaned the drain holes and the problem went away. As a preventative measure I clean the traps every 6 months, an easy task using the tilt mount.

My friend has a Butternut vertical that was a lot harder to tune, more then twice the price and performed no better. Save the money if you are limited to a vertical, get the AV 14 and buy your wife a present with the savings.

WC1X Rating: 2/5 May 5, 2008 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Poor workmanship  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Poor workmanship. One of the alluminum tubes was not swaged properly so I had to insert a shim to make a proper fit. Right out of the box the 10 meter trap was mechanically defective so I had to order a replacement from the manufacturer. I also purchased a 2 element yagi from the same manufacturer and had similiar/more extensive quality control issues.