Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain 14AVQ/WB Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain 14AVQ/WB
Hy-Gain 14AVQ/WB Reviews: 34 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: 10/15/20/40 Meters The Hy-Gain AV-14AVQ uses the same trap desi
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/hf_verts.htm#14AVQWB

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain 14AVQ/WB.

N7OQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2008 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Best vertical out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna now for 30 years, and it has served me well. It has been across the country and went to Germany with me, call there was DA1VW. It has been ground and roof mounted and works great both ways but I find roof to be the best. I have talked around the world with it and when I was back from Germany and Living in California I had a Sked every weekend with a friend still stationed in Germany and we had many 59 QSO's.

After a very bad storm we had this winter I could not get a good SWR, so I took it down cleaned the connections and found a intermittent 10 trap so took it apart and tightened the coil connections and put it all back together and everything works great.

I also found I could use it on 80 meters too by adding a Hustler 80 meter resonator above the top hat and after a little retuning it iwll now work 80,40,20,15, and 10 meters. Great vertical!

IT9JCB Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 15:43 Send this review to a friend
The best HF vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 14AVQ is probably one of the oldiest trapped vertical still in the market, but I can surely state that It's still the best one. If you give a look to other HF vertical's reviews you'll hear guys speaking about fused traps, dummy loads, bad swr etc etc. I had my first one in the 80's, but the wind did its job and I'd always went back to a new one replacing the old, now I've my fifth 14AVQ on my roof still working great. Yes, there is another side of the coin: the 10 meters trap is not very strong and brokes after few years but, found the problem and fixed it forever with a simple mod. Whit this antenna you can load all the power you need very safely in a very wide 1.5:1 swr bandwidth. Of course the best you can do (like me) is to put the antenna not on the ground but on the roof, about 40 feet up and with two radials per band: in this configuration the antenna will probaby outperforms many triband beams mounted at low height, as I'm experienced many times in 20 years.
There is not a vertical better than this.

(but do not forget the radials !!)

73s Claudio

K6LLO Rating: 3/5 Jan 6, 2008 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna, marginal contruction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had MFJ purchased 14AVQ for three years due to great luck with same antenna in the 60's as a kid. I now live in dry high wind area. Two of the traps have failed twice - one with broken strap, and one with damaged insulator. All traps are loose and appear to be able to admit water. When working, I work DX from Redlands CA to Finland, Spain, and across the US. It is roof mounted with carefully tuned radials, and handled full legal power. Much better construction would make it a great antenna- more solid traps, wind proof, and water proof. It has failed again- and I loathe getting up on my sloping roof in the winds. If I do take it down, I am going to permanently seal everything and toss it if it fails again.

VE4AMN Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2007 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Oldie and goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you read these reviews, the older versions always seem to get the higher rating. Either old timers are losing their memory, or the quality of construction has changed.

I had good luck with this antenna between 1982 and 1990, with just 6 radials and mounted on my grarage roof. The only weakness was the 10 meter trap where the connecting tab broke; I fixed that using some braid from coax.

I purchased an R8 for the flexibility (no radials); the advantage of 14 AVQ was having 40 meters, but then it did not cover 17 and 12. It would seem that recent production has slipped in quality. The moral is - pick one up at a hamfest that is 15 - 20 years old and you have a decent antenna. If you buy new, be prepared to do some remedial construction.

WA4QHD Rating: 1/5 Jun 25, 2007 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Back in Amature radio after 25 years absence. I never had a store bought antenna, so I purchased the 14AVQ new at AES Cleveland.
Got it home & put together in about 20 minutes
But when I lifted it up it was like a wet noodle
Every trap was lose and it was embarssing to leave it up. Since AES has no returns on antennas I decided to fix it. I noticed that the 20 meter trap was up-side-down, and EVERY trap was lose inside the cover. Tightened all the screws and reassembled and it was straight. Finally got 1.5-1 SWR with difficulty. I would not recommend a NEW 14AVQ antenna due to shotty construction.

W5TD Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2007 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Worked for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first antenna I had when I first got a home station set up in 1981 (as KA0IFG). Bought it used at a hamfest, and just ground mounted it with no radials. Not the best setup, and it was up against the house also, but I worked a ton of DX with it. Something was wrong with the 15 meter trap, but it would load ok on 15m with a tuner. Didn't do alot of 40 meter DXing in those days, but worked around the world on 20, 15, and 10. Did work EU and the pacific a few times on 40 also.

This was a fun antenna. It won't outperform a beam, but if you have limited space give it a try.

N7OQ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Vertical ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna sense 1978 and it has traveled with me all over the world. (Retired AF) and to this day it had served me well. I have roof and ground mounted it the roof works best but ground mounting works very well too.

I did a mod to it recently, I had a Hustler mobile antenna I was not using anymore so I took the 75 meter coil element and put it on top of the 14AVQ above the top hat and to my surprise after a few minutes of re-adjusting I now have have a antenna that works from 10 to 80 meters.

IW0GVG Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2006 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ground mounted this antenna without radials.
Only 250 cm of ground rod.
SWR measurement:
40 mt. 1.2
20 mt 1.1
15 mt 1.4
10 mt 1.1
My struments are MFJ and Revex.
I am still planning on adding radials in the near future.
Best the reception with interesting signals from the correspondents.
I have a Icom IC706 MKII with only 100 watts.
The calibration was a long.
The distances of the elements of the antenna advised from Hy Gain are indicative.
I agitated increasing the distance between the base and the first trap of 10 mt.
I used fat marine to protect the filettature.
The result is very satisfactory.
Good antenna.
Very interesting price

K6LLO Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2006 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Very solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had for two years using roof mount and sloped radials. Loads up perfectly on all bands and DX is the norm. Tried without the radials for curiosity and as expected, it was worthless. Workmanship is decent, without inverted trap as reported by many others. Missing a few screws- typical of MFJ- part of their business culture.
Mount it right, use radials, and you probably will not be disappointed.

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2006 12:52 Send this review to a friend
durable and reliable.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning a Hy-Gain 14AVQ for 21 years I sold it during an overseas work assignment in South Africa in 1993. I had two at the time, and used the pair with a phasing arrangement on 40m which worked really well. I sold the older one, which was pretty bent-up but still loaded up on all bands 40 -10m. After being moved around the world it has survived Mother Nature on both roof and ground mounts requiring some periodic mechanical repairs as might be expected.

I brought the other one back to the states, recently cleaned and repaired the 10m trap connection (an aluminum clip had failed so installed a jumper to restore the electrical connection) and installed it on my wood fence. I am currently using only one tuned counterpoise wire per band, without any ground connection (yes I know, I know!). The counterpoise wires are in close proximity to, but not touching the ground, and have been trimmed for essentially 1.1:1 on my favorite frequencies.

This antenna works surprisingly well for its compact size and lack of an earth ground. For example, from my Chicago area QTH this week on 20m using a Ten Tec T1320 running 3 watts I got fair signal reports from from FL, AL, CA, Vancouver, Mexico City; and W5ESE in TX who was also was using a T1320. The Hy-Gain 14AVQ facilitates fairly reliable contacts on 40m with a 4 watt T1340 and on 15m I used it to work SU9HP 400 km south of Cairo, Egypt (but admit I used 80 watts on that QSO). So after using them for 34 years, I have no complaints with the 14AVQ. These antennas are durable and reliable.

NG9D