Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-100
Yaesu FT-100 Reviews: 111 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $895.00
Description: A compact mobile HF-VHF-UHF all mode transciever.
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-100.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-100.

WF6O Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2006 20:44 Send this review to a friend
It WAS a great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I should have given my beloved FT-100 a 5, but it's now died a quick death. The audio crapped out a couple of months ago. A quick search of the Yahoo FT-100 group and I found the explanation - broken solder joints on the external speaker plug. Not being comfortable with removing a PC board as complicated as this one was, I asked a friend to take a look at it. Yep, the solder joints were broken and John easily repaired it. But, alas, still no audio. John is a great technician and he pronounced it dead - not worth sending it off to Yaesuland. I bought this one used about 6 years ago and it's been always mobile. A call to Yaesu's service guys revealed that they'll take a look at it and can probably repair it - for $300+ not including shipping. However, several of the parts in this formerly excellent rig are no longer available (like the HF final transistors). So, I'll sell it for parts and get a new FT-857D. May it rest in peace.

G1HQK Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2006 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Still Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine 3 years ago, cost a little over 500 new, I remember paying about that for my Kenwood 2m multimode many years ago!

Been running it from home, on 2/70 for the first year or so, then connected a vertical for Hf and a 6m loop.

Still very pleased with HF, and 6m especially, 2m is fine, I do find that 70cms can be a bit deaf though when compared to my dual band set.

That said I can hear and access repeaters in the dutch/belgian areas down on 430.

Overall would I buy another, yep, will I sell it, nope it is about to get installed into my car.

W5TD Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2006 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Just fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a few FT100s now and they are fantastic radios! Very quiet receiver, with a great NB. Knocks out the powerline noise I get here, and the receiver holds up very well under crowded band conditions-much better than the FT857 or Icom 706mKIIG.

The separate power setting for AM is great-you can set it for a low power (15 w or so) tuning signal with an AM carrier. Also, the DSP works very well, not quite as good as IF DSP, but the bandpass filtering still works pretty good, especially on CW.

I do wish the IF shift was a little easier to use, but I get by just fine without it.

The display looks nice and is very easy to read, plus it gives you all the information you need. The meter is easy to read and shows power out and SWR at the same time-the meters on the 857 and 706 won't do this. Plus the SWR meter also works on 2 meters and 70cm.

I have just loved these radios and have done it all with them-contesting, DXing, satellite operation, and even made 1 EME QSO with it on 2 meters.

Get one, you won't be sorry. The best HF/VHF/UHF mobile sized radio ever made. Better than anything currently on the market.

PA5COR Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2005 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,

Got my hands on an almost new FT100 and performed the mods, changing the fans for higher cfm 40x40x20 instead the 40x40x10 mm.
Also did the resistor mod, in my case an 68 Ohm 2 watt resistor lets the fans work in recieve noiseless but with enough cooling.
The SWR mod was done, but added pointed washers under the screws that kept the pcb's to the frame.
Cleaned up the VHF-UHF transistor flux and made sure all screws were tight as well from the boards as well from the P.A. transistors.

Nice addition to the FT847 with Collins filters, and FC 20 wich can be used for both transcievers.

Cor

M1DNO Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2005 02:33 Send this review to a friend
A great radio for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is in essence a very similar radio in features and performance to the ICOM 706 mk11g. It features wide band receive dsp etc just like the icom. The big advantage is that if buying the radio used, it is considerable cheaper than the 706. I guess reading several reviews on this forum is enough to put people off.

I've found the performace to great. Yes the controls can be fidly, it is annoying when looking for a menu item only to go too far and have to scroll through them again. The band up/down and function key would be better on the other side of the dial rather than the memory/step buttons which I hardly use. However this is nitpicking. It is unfair to complain about this type of problem with a mobile rig, since it is clearly going to be harder to use than a big base rig with pleny of buttons/knobs.

I have had none of the problems that others have reported such as the high swr indicator coming on. Infact it runs very smoothly indeed.

Overall I am very happy. This is my first rig, and already I can see myself becoming a yeasu fan. Funny thing brand loyalty.

Final comment: I emailed Yaesu (UK) for detail on how to extend 40m coverage from 7.1 to 7.2MHz since this part of the band has only recently becom available to amateurs in the U.K. They send detail immiediately, so no complaints there.

K3UD Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2005 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 FT-100s. The first one was destroyed in a direct lightning hit which wiped out all the equipment in the shack. I promptly went out and purchased another one.

These are great radios. I originally purchased mine for mobile work but it ended up as my main radio in the shack as it out performed my ICOM 737 and has the added bonus of 6, 2 and 70cm. The DSP implementation is wonderful and you almost do not need a seperate CW filter if you are not a CW contester. The noise blanker is among the best I have used, especially when dealing with ignition noise and the ever present powerline noise at my QTH.

Since I do participate in CW contests I purchased the 500Hz CW filter. Coupled with the narrow DSP audio filter choices available on the FT-100, it makes a great combination. I purchased a 746PRO about a year ago with the intention of using it as my main radio and actually getting the FT-100 into the van for mobile work. Somehow it usually will find its way into the shack again. IMHO the FT-100 with the CW filter and the DSP is a bit better CW rig then the 746PRO is.

For sometime, the FT-100 was plagued by some design flaws, however all of them have been addressed in the various FT-100 forums and I have made all the fixes.

You DO need to get to know the menues and thier functions. It is possible to really degrade the radio if you do not know what you are doing when accessing the menues and changing settings.

I would rate this radio a 5 if the it came from the factory ready to go with no corrective mods needed. As such it gets a 4.

George
K3UD

N3TVV Rating: 2/5 Jul 19, 2005 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Frustrating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had a chance to try out an ft 100 .
The Gentleman that owns the radio just got it back from the shop, had it clean. He was selling it because he couldn't figure out the menus,already has 2 other radios (icoms I think) and it's overall too complicated ,which they are.

After reading some of the reviews ,figured,ahh, I'll give it a chance. The first day I hook it up and give a call on the local repeater they tell me "you're off frequency" ,thought, oh boy here we go.

It turns out I'm 5 kcs high,the 100 was on 146.580 and my Ht was on 146.575> I even went back and checked in the manual for help and what a joke that is too,it was no help at all.

One would hope they'd check over the radio after tearing it apart to clean it to also assure its's still solid and ON FREQUENCY,after they put it back together..

Where's Q C ???

Overall, the radio seems to work well,but,there are so many menus and settings,it's worse then studying for my extra Ticket.Makes me want to get my Sb 110 back and forget menu driven radios..

I usually have good luck with yaesu,but,not this time,As for a rating, would give it a 2.5,if it transmitted on frequency would get a 3 .

Don't think I'm gonna get this one, will hold out to find 736r for vhf/uhf all mode..

73's

Eric Bott
N3TVV

KD9MF Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2005 09:24 Send this review to a friend
still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
i bought mine right after they came out. i beleive some have problems but i have had zero. its a few years old now, and still performs like it should. never been in the shop for ANY problems. its been first rate and used in a harsh mobile environemnt. i replaced an icom 706 mkII and never looked back. i did change the mic to a heil handmic. just personal ppreference.

WO4C Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2005 20:53 Send this review to a friend
IC 706 Doesn't Hold a Candle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine back in '98 and wouldn't part with it. I give it a 5 b/c I have run this thing through hell and high water and it still keeps on ticking. Mine has all of the opt access and it performs very well. I have tried it out as an HF base (just for the heck of it) and have run it as an HF mobile. It performed very well. I did have a problem with it a few yrs ago - display went crazy and 2m power fell to zilt. After a couple of weeks back in the house it corrected itself (go figure - must have had a moisture problem. I have compared the 100 w/ the 706. On the desk the 100 is better however, 706 receive is ok but mobile is a diff story - the 706 couldn't hold a candle. After having mine all of these yrs I recently connected an ext spkr WOW!!! you should hear this baby now. The FM Broadcast Stations sound like they're coming through a stereo - I couldn't believe the quality. I use mine mostly for 6m SSB now. Don't do a lot of HF mobile - probably will again someday. I don't plan on parting with it.

KB7EFZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2005 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig, serving staunchly after many years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of the first FT-100's available in the area, installed the tone and cw filter. Works great. Love the rig. Hears much more than it can work (Waaahh..)
Easy to use user interface - can adjust nearly any aspect of the radio while moving. It would help if the 'step' button were more easily identified by touch.
Great mic, great keyer, love that full break-in!
The newer rigs nickle&dime(hundred&two) you to death with the cost of the options - DTMF mic is standard on the 100. CW filter was ~100, not ~189. DSP? The best DSP Yaesu has yet done is standard on the 100. I love mine.