Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1412 RuffRider High Power 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1412 RuffRider High Power 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna
MFJ-1412 RuffRider High Power 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$49.95
Description: Just 40" long handles full 200 Watts. Great for high power mobile amp. 1/2 Wave, 3 dB gain on 2 Meters, 5/8 Wave, 5.5 dB gain on 440 MHz.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1412

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1412 RuffRider High Power 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna.

KC5CQW Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2013 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Go-To antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, this is basically the same antenna as the Diamond NE770HA; just rebranded. The "free" NMO to PL-259 adapter is a little on the cheap side. It's well worth the extra cost... :-)
Performance wise, the antenna works great and physically it's very sturdy. It is mounted on a through hole roof mount.
It gets whacked by tree limbs (at low speeds) regularly with no ill effects.
I packed some silicone dielectric grease into the NMO and PL-259 ends to keep any water out. I'm still neutral on this as it may be better left dry.

AK4TO Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleasantly Surprised!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When buying this mobile antenna for my Honda Civic, I was not really too sure of what I would be getting for $29.99, but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!! I am extremely happy with this antenna's range, as well as overall quality of workmanship that went into buliding this antenna for this extremely affordable price, even though I had to provide myself with a 6' mag mount to go with it, I am still very happy and satsified!

KC8ZDF Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2006 00:56 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna so far.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this antenna two days ago and so far i have got great reports. Im replacing the mfj 19.99 dollar 1/4 wave magmount and notice a 2 to 3 sometimes smeter gain. It brings singnals in like a 5/8 antenna. Although this is a dual band antenna the specs are 40" tall, 1/2 wave on 2meters, 3.0db and 5.5 db gain on 70cm. It does not have the fold over feature of the Ruff Rider 1422 and others antenna. I had bad luck with the 1422 gain antenna and water getting in where the gasket and the antenna fold over making swr go thru well the roof of the car and way beyond the moon. I drive a 4 door sedan and can fit into parking structures no problem. It has also rain here in michigan the last day and had a very long soaking and did not see any loss of performance at all. Im using the mfj 3.5" nmo mag mount and gettin a swr of 1.1 1.2 so far. so its working well. Holds no problem at 80mph. Im using a ft-2800m and it really works great for tx and rx. I will do some months updating and let people know how things work out but i think the way this i built it should be a great antenna for someone looking for a 1/2 on 2 meter over the normal 1/4 antenna with no gain. I think that this performs just as well as the 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna. This antenna will need a nmo mag mount or a nmo thru the roof of car which i plan on doing sooon so will let you know of the performance of that. And it comes with the nmo adapter to go from uhf connector to the nmo for free. Let you guys all know soon on updates thru winter and everything.