Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood SP-230 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SP-230
Kenwood SP-230 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Matching speaker to the TS530 and TS830 HF transceivers. Selectable filters from the front panel.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SP-230.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2010 23:50 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT MATCH FOR TS-530S & TS-830S  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good solid speaker with filters that work. It works very well with any radio, but especially well with the older Kenwood rigs like the TS-530S and TS-830S. It not only works well, but also matches the older Kenwood HF radios.

AC2N Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2008 13:52 Send this review to a friend
It's Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a SP-230 for several years used with a few Kenwoods and now a Yaesu 897D. With the headphone jack, 2 input switch and low and 2 high filter selections it is a good addition to any shack.The speaker sounds great as mentioned before.It's not a hi-fi speaker, it is designed for radio.I often plug my headphones into the SP-230 and use a combo of the radio's noise reduction and the speaker's filters with good results.

N5KNG Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2008 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Surpising what this will do for your reception!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been testing the Kenwood TS-830S against the Icom 746 Pro for several days now, and I have used the Kenwood SP-230 speaker as part of the test. I won't even talk about the stock speakers on these radios, since they are merely adequate - they reproduce audio, but that's about it.

There is no doubt that the audio filtering capability in this speaker can make all the difference when it comes to understanding a weak signal plagued by QRM. I have some Sony professional headphones that I used with both receivers, bypassing their speakers, only to find that having a wide audio bandwidth might be great when you are listening to music, but not when you are listening to the human voice. There were several instances when I found that using this speaker rendered weak signals more legible than what I heard with the Sony headphones. The filters in this speaker (low, and three hi-pass choices) can be used to cut out a lot of noise, turning a trying listening experience into one that is more easily bearable. Indeed, when I write my report on the comparison between the two transceivers, part of it will include the fact that teaming this speaker with the TS-830 provides a combination that in many cases provides a signal that is easier to read than that provided by the IC-746 Pro. It adds that little bit of extra readability that makes listening over a long period of time less tiring. Anyone that owns a TS-830 (or any other transceiver) that prefers to listen without headphones clamped on their ears would do well to purchase one of these.

N3EON Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2008 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially purchased the speaker to complement my TS-830. However, through the years, I've used it with a Kenwood TS-130 and TS-570 with excellent results. The SP-230 is far superior to my rig's internal speaker and provides greater audio clarity and filtering. This speaker would be an excellent addition to any ham shack.

VE7BDO Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Great speaker - workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not sure about previous reviewer's comments but mine is excellent. I have owned it for 20+ years and it works very well indeed. I also the SP-31 but rarely use it. No appreciable sound difference between the two.

I use the 230 with my TS-830S and FT-897D. The sound is very good and the filters work well. I get very good frequency response overall and good low end - especially noticeable on 2M FM (from the 897D).

The two inputs are useful especially when I am spotting activity on other frequencies or other bands.