Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu SP-9000 Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu SP-9000 Speaker
Yaesu SP-9000 Speaker Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $400
Description: The Yaesu SP-9000 is designed to match the FT-9000 series. The SP-9000 features two 4 inch (100 mm) speakers, affording independent audio paths for the Main and Sub VFO output; the left speaker puts out Main VFO audio, while the right speaker yields Sub VFO audio, and a front panel switch also allows you to combine the audio signals from both receivers for mixed distribution from the two combined speakers. This produces an effective aperture of 8 inch (200mm), for outstanding tonal quality. The audio filters provide three steps of high-cut (2400/1000/700 Hz) and two steps of low-cut filtering (500/300 Hz), and each audio path (Main/Sub) may be filtered independently, allowing you to experiment with optimum settings in a diversity dual reception filtering mode. And you also get individual mute switches, useful for dual receive operation.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu SP-9000 Speaker.

W3DCB Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2015 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Superior Speaker System  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up review after my initial praise of the SP-9000 speaker system several years ago. Here we are a number of years later and I have only increased my supply of SP-9000 speakers to four...Yes, I have four Yaesu SP-9000 speakers. I find the Yaesu speakers very easy on the ears compared to that which is offered by the competitors. I have one SP-9000 for use with an FTdx9000D; two more for use with a pair of IC-7800s; and the fourth is used with a Kenwood TS-990. [The speaker system that goes with the FTdx5000 is also a great system. So, there was no need for another SP-9000 for use with the FTdx5000!] They even match the radios pretty well in height and design. Even from just a short distance away, the SP-9000s look like they were made to go with the IC-7800s! They do not look out of place right next to Icom radios. I long ago sold my Icom speaker which I purchased along with an IC-7800. Furthermore, the matching speaker for the IC-7800 did NOT have two separate speakers! A radio with two receivers, really needs two speakers. I will not be giving up my SP-9000s any time soon. Now that I have gone to rack-mounting, they look just fine on top of the racks grouped in pairs. See my web-site:
I highly recommend the SP-9000 W3DCB Daniel
VA2DW Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Very good speaker  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have not heard any better sound but that that
comes out from sp-9000 at this price range.
Very comfortable to listen to even with any other trcvr. A little bit large in size but perfectly matches
my FTdx9000C radio anyway.
Great product Yaesu. TNX!!!!

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2010 08:24 Send this review to a friend
The best of Yaesu  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Only one word to describe it:

73's de Henry
PA3GPP Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 08:10 Send this review to a friend
The best fit for icom radio's  Time owned: months
I use this outstanding SP 9000 speaker in combination with several ICOM rigs and it's sounds super!!better than the original icom speakers such as the sp 20,sp 23.i use also side by side the yaesu sp 2000,but the sp 9000 beats them all,with the plastic base feets disambled it will fits with the IC 7700(same height)see my picture at
The yaesu radio's are so-so,but the sp 9000 is A+.good work yaesu!!
W3DCB Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Great quality dual speaker system  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Of course, I originally purchased the speaker system because it matches the Yaesu FTdx9000D which I recently aquired from HRO. I also have an Icom IC-7800. Unfortunately, the SP-20 which is made to go with the IC-7800 only has a single speaker in it. After using the Yaesu speaker with the Yaesu FTdx9000 for a time, I ordered another one to use with the Icom IC-7800 as well. I sent back the Icom SP-20 speaker unopened. Two receivers require 2 speakers! This was quite an oversight by Icom, although the 7800 is superb! I certainly would not have room enough for 2 Icom SP-20's, although some are actually doing just that. The Yaesu SP-9000 is not a bad match for the IC-7800 either...a bit taller, but hardly noticeable -- to me at least. The Yaesu speaker sounds wonderful. Better fidelity is achieved by pressing the button which allows one to use both speakers simultaneously. Then, when needed, they can be easily split once agin. There are 2 seperate filter systems for both speakers and they work well. I am very pleased with both of my Yaesu SP-9000 speakers! No plans to replace or change them...
K6JPA Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2008 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased one of these for my 9000D, and I must admit I am quite pleased with both the sound quality it produces, and the build quality that went into it. The speaker is a perfect compliment to the transceiver, and I can't say enough about it's design and function.
It's nice to see that Yaesu, at least, is supportive of it's high end equipment when it comes to providing properly-matched accessories.
N4ZZK Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2006 17:00 Send this review to a friend
The matching speaker for the FTDX9000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As you might expect, the SP-9000 works well with the FTDX9000 rig. I've used 3 different speakers with the FTDX9000 over the last 18 months. Here are my impressions of each one. First, please note this is from a CW perspective only.

1) Yaesu SP-8, would rate this one as a 3. Audio is a bit tinny, volume level is lowest of the 3 but acceptable. Price is good.

2) Sounds Sweet Speaker, excellent volume, very good value for price, good quality sound. Rate this one as a 4 for use with the FTDX9000. This is not due to any fault of the speaker. The FTDX9000 does not have audio DSP or audio filtering on the radio and neither does the Sounds Sweet speaker. There isn't a good way to limit the audio response to the 500-1,000 Hz range that I prefer for CW.

3) SP-9000 rates a 5. It has the audio filtering controls that are needed to limit the range for the best CW reception. The volume is good, not quite as loud as the Sounds Sweet but it's just a matter of turning up the AF gain on the rig a bit. It is a nice compliment to the rig. The price is higher than you might expect to pay but given the cost of the FTDX9000 rig, it probably just comes with the territory.