Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-290Y Replacement Hand Mic Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-290Y Replacement Hand Mic
MFJ-290Y Replacement Hand Mic Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $19.95 plus shipping
Description: Dynamic HF Radio replacement microphones with 8-pin round connector. Extra long cord is perfect to replace your old, beat-up microphone. Heavy-duty construction. Provides quality mic audio. Heavy-duty construction. Also available for Icom(MFJ-290I)Kenwood(MFJ-290K), or TenTec(MFJ-290T) HF radios.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-290Y

You can write your own review of the MFJ-290Y Replacement Hand Mic.

KB8BAB Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2013 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just picked up the K version. It works just fine and the price is great.

On the air with it I got great reports which is surprising from this little handheld.

KC8IMB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 17:37 Send this review to a friend
A great replacement microphone.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the "K" version with a Kenwood TS-530S and get excellent signal reports. Nothing fancy, just a good microphone with PTT. That's all I need. The price is right as well!

W7SPK Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2007 00:05 Send this review to a friend
I have the Kenwood Version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my first HF rig (a Kenwood TS-120s) on eBay last month but the guy sent it without a mic. I haven't been able to find an original MC-30 mic for this rig and was forced to use a 4 pin CB "power mic". Got terrible signal reports all the time.
Someone in my local club recommended checking out MFJ's SSB mic. The version for vintage 4 pin Kenwoods is the MFJ-290K4. Got mine from R&L for $18.95. Clarity and signal reports GREATLY improved. Cant beat the price too!!!
My only complaint is the mic size is really small. I have huge hands that swallow the thing up making long rag chews painful. But I guess that could be a good thing, reminding me to get off my soap box.
I'm hoping to buy a Warren Gregoire headset (or maybe a Heil Proset Plus if my wife lets me), but until then the MFJ-290K4 will do just fine.

Sean Kelly W7SPK

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2006 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Amazed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted an extra hand microphone for my Yaesu FT-107M just in case the old Turner decided to bite the dust.

I am amazed once again! Now I know MFJ has been nicknamed "Mighty Fine Junk", but this little unit is far from junk! Even the end connector is professionally installed with shrink wrap tubing.

Modulation is crisp & clean according to many reports. Some claim it sounds better than the old Turner!

For $19.95 WITH plug professionally installed, it's worth every penny. They also have models 290/I for Icom, 290/K for Kenwood and some other models I cannot recall at this time. Each model has a plug to match your rigs make and model.

Pretty cool.