New to Ham Radio?
DX Cluster Spots
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
write your own review of the microKEYER 2R, MK2R.
Jul 26, 2007 05:08
Send this review to a friend
microham MK2R is an excellent product with great support
Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not a SO2R contester but use 2 hi-end transceivers, which I want to protect, while using them both on shared antenna lines. There are many SO2R devices on the market. So I looked on the attributes and reviews of the most sold devices and choosed the MK2R from microham because of following reasons:
* MK2R uses a PC with USB-connection for increasing the benefits by synergy-effects and for updating the firmware.
* MK2R protects my 2 rigs, so that strictly only one transceiver can transmit at a time
* MK2R can work as sequencer to protect my IC-7800 against hot switching
* MK2R contains a powerful Winkeyer with several parameters for efficient el-bug usage. I work mostly on CW.
* MK2R contains a built-in isolated audio-interface for digital modes, namely FSK
* MK2R has very flexible headphone and speaker switching and mixing for the main- and sub-RX of both radios
* MK2R has a strong hardware interface for individual configuration, completed by a DB37-connector and a LPT-connector for some host logging programs. I use the LPT-line only for an CW-hand-key in addition to the CW-paddle.
* MK2R generates virtual serial ports for running 2 instances of MixW-software at the same time and supporting CAT. It is impressive, if 2 spectrums walk over the screen in 2 windows when You tune 2 transceivers. MK2R supports also many other logging programs.
The MK2R has an unbelievable wide flexibility with high potential as “all in one box”. I will not recommend it, if a user wants to get QRV within 5 minutes after unpacking just by plugging in 3 cables. You have to carefully read the english manual (written by W4TV) and you have to understand its principles of operation.
If You want to get a device, which needs an indivually configuration and so gives You a close binding to ur station and high grade of satisfaction and if You want efficient operation for 2 rigs, then the MK2R is the best choice to my opinion. The unit is well manufactured and the front is well structured.
The support by Jozef, OM7ZZ, for European users is excellent. Joe, W4TV, gives support for american hams, which I cannot evaluate. I am testing now the beta-version 5.0.0 of the router and v2.0 of the firmware and it is impressive, how continous product improvement by more powerful software is manifested in microhams company policy.
73 de Michael
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Reviews,
please email your Reviews Manager.