Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Quansheng Help

Reviews Summary for Quansheng
Quansheng Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $40.00 (approximately)
Description: FM 2m/70cm HT's
More info: http://www.qsfj.com/en/Product_info.asp?ID=46

You can write your own review of the Quansheng.

K9GE Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2011 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good deal  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had my TG-UV2 for 4 months now and it is used everyday on both VHF & UHF as well for scanning local police,ambulance and utilities frequencies. I'm well pleased with it's operation, but not the company. Upon receipt of the radio from China, the battery had enough charge for me to program it somewhat and operate it for a couple days. On my first attempt to charge the battery with the supplied charger, it wouldn't charge the battery. I've worked in electronics over 60 years and believe me the charger was dead. I contacted Quansheng and was informed that I could return the unit ( Radio, wouldn't accept just the charger ) at my expense ( over $40.00 ) and they would check it out. The shipping was about half of what I paid for the radio, so I declined to return it. Since then I built my own little charger from junk box parts and it works great. The battery lasts longer than any battery powered HT's I've owned in the past. Other than the charger problem, it's a pretty good little radio with good audio.

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2011 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent cheap unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the radio and a Woxun for over a year and they are very similar, except this one is a little cheaper. The manual is poor, but the radio is excellent and withstands many drops onto hard surfaces. Programing could be easier, but with the computer interface it is not big problem either. The unit works well, sounds great, and outperforms most of the other HTs that I own, and that is a large number. For the cost, it is a super bargain.

KD0JZI Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2010 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad little radio for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The real test of this radio is happening as I type this message. Just days ago a F-4 twister devastated the town of Wadena, MN, just 15 miles north of me.
I have been using this radio for ARES Comms with great success.
In the car clear across town the EOC can hear me on simplex, and it's crystal clear.
Battery has yet to fail.
I was even on my bike doing sweeps of the town streets (easier to get arounf debris) when the radio fell of my hip and I ran it over. Still works.
Plus my fellow hams are impressed with what I paid for it.
Gotta love my TG-UV

PA1U Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2009 09:42 Send this review to a friend
TG-UV GOOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the QUANSHENG TG-UV for 1 month now.
It's a great dualband porto. Audio is also oke.
Price is really good. I bought it from a fellow ham operator new for 115 euro. In Hongkong the price is 115$.
I use the porte verry often and it's almost only positive. The only option that posibly can be missed are 1750Hz tone and no name's in the memory, just the frequency.
It's the most rugged Chinese porto thats around, not to big, good accu, Yaesu apearance and sollid.. and a verry good price....
The Chinese are getting bether so watch out HIHI...
I am verry pleased by this nice Chinese porto...

PA1U, ex PE2MD

PD0LUR Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for Dollars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this TG-UV dual band HT from Hong Kong. The price I paid is $115 through Paypal inclusive shipping.
Ordered on Januari 23th and shipped out of Hong Kong on Januari 25th. It was received by me on Februari 5th.
Boy this HT is nice to operate.
The sensitivity is really superb and even the manual is written in almost good English.
With some imagination one can work out exactly what is meant in the manual.
The audio quality is good for such al small HT. The Li-Ion charger that comes in the package is an intelligent one so no real worries about burning or exploding Li-Ion batteries.
The X-mitter is producing on Hi-pwr a bit over 4 Watts, on Medium pwr a bit over 2 Watts and in Low pwr roughly 1 Watt.
The possibility to adapt the channel step is 5KHz, 6.25, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 and 100KHz in 10 steps.
CTCSS/DCS is present and squelch level can be preset to 10 levels. Even a TOT timer (1~9 minutes) is present.
Every key press is announced with a loud beep that can be switched off.
Even a VOX is supported on this HT.
The HT memory can be programmed via a PC thru the speaker/microphone connecter that is shielded with a detachable rain cover. (Speaker/Mic is optional and needs to be one that fits a Kenwood)
It has 99 memory spaces that can be programmed with your favorite frequencies and yes it will operate in repeater mode on VHF and UHF once you set the repeater shift. The frequency X-mit range on VHF is from 136~173.995 and on UHF from 400~469.995 so all amateur bands are well covered. Dimensions are 110mm x 56mm x 37mm and tge aerial standard delivered is an inductively loaded antenna with an SMA-female connector. The length of the antenna is 210mm. This is quite a different little devil then those Puxing, Weierwei's etc. that are single banders.
If it becomes more known to other users I am sure that they are going to fall for it.
Anyway I am glad I have bought one for sure!

73, Stan

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 05:48 Send this review to a friend
TG-UV Dual Band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this V/U HT in Hong Kong.

Spec is:

88-108 RX
136-174 RX/TX
350-390 RX
400-470 RX/TX
470-520 RX

Measured 4.25 watts output on a Bird 43 (spec is > 4 watts).

Manual is written in comprehensible English and Chinese. Warranty said to be 3 years.

Sensitive RX, and accesses local repeaters ok.

Only costs a third of the price of the VX8R. Has all that most people need without bells and whistles. Feels and looks good. For what it is, seems like good value.

VK6NX Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2008 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I thought I put through my opinion on here.
I purchased a TG25AT over two years ago and its still going strong. Needless to say as soon as I bought it everyone else in our club wanted one. So I ended up becoming the importer here in Australia.

The TG25AT (2 metre) and the TG45AT (70cm) have been quite a good thing considering all the new hams we have now here with the "Foundation License".

We had a tech in Tasmania test them and they came up very well. The Rxer was really good and Tx was as well. I think Ive sold about 1000 Australia wide now and they have proved to be reliable.

I saw a post on here saying he was dubious of the strength of the unit but I have to say my original radio has been dropped from my very high 4WD several times and still functions well.

But as a 2m or 70cm radio without all the bells and whistles, and for the price, these radios are just great and worth the 5/5.

By the way Quansheng produce 60000 units a month for the chinese market. So Im only a small player for them but they have treated me exceptionally well.

Cheers to all
Geoff
VK6NX
www.hamshack.com.au

M0OXD Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owned two Kenwood HTs and a Yeasu before, getting my first chinese transceiver was something I was sure I will regret. By no means! Here I am today, after a couple of weeks of constant use of the Kenwood clone, the Quansheng TG-K4AT, a very satisfied customer. I use the FM transceiver mostly at work and the Quanshenk keeps it up with the likes of pricey Motorola. Colleagues are impressed with the nice size/shape and material (not what you would expect from a chinese mock up) but moreover with the clear receive and crisp transmit this little radio is capable of. At home, this Quansheng opens all the repeaters that the previous 3 HTs used to open, and I can talk to fellow radioamateurs without a problem. Considering the price I paid for it brand new off an ebay auction(16+7 carriage), this is the best deal I ever did on a 70cm transceiver. The scanning works great, once you manually program all the freq and ctcss tones you normally use, the annoingly loud voice that speaks english with bad chinese accent can be muted with one simple command, and with a SMA-to-SO239 adapter I can hook it to my 2m jaybeam outside and listen to far repeaters no problems. Only downside is the lack of an adjustable squelch, although you could virtually scan a number of frequency by keeping pressed the switch which opens the squelch (until your finger starts to hurt that is). All in all, if you're not looking to work distant/weak signals on 70cm, this is the radio to have with you on your daily walks.

K7JOE Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2007 01:47 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the money - disposable radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Beijing and frequently see the various "no-name" locally made radio clones - cant agree more with the posts on here - most are not worth your time or energy, especially when you can get a type-accepted, brand named radio for under $100 these days.

Prices on these clone radio's range anywhere from $10 USD per unit (basic, computer programmed 1 channel 1 watt type) to $50 USD (fully programmable and featured unit).

Compared to the ebay prices, i am getting a good deal -- of course, i dont pay shipping - just pay my money and hand carry it home. Most that I have encountered are look-alike clones and built in the same factories as the big brands (YaeKenIcoMotVert). Quality is usually dubious - factory "seconds" in terms of electronic components, batteries sometimes dont hold full charge, connectors/buttons not well fitting, etc. Just the same, who can resist a toy for a few bucks to at least tinker with, toss on the service monitor, and then chuck into the drawer only to eventually be sold at a hamfest when-ever i find myself back in the USA.

Anyway... I have purchased at least one of just about every locally made radio to try out. Almost all are handhelds and are covering the UHF spectrum. Rarely have i seen the VHF variety. Most have been literally junk, or just above junk quality - either shoddy physical construction, poor ergonomics, lousy programming, missing features, low RF output, or somewhat dirty transmitter specs. Remember, these are not FCC type A so you can probably use them outside the USA but I'd probably think twice before using them with a FCC license on the line. Anyway, these products are just above "toy" status but the progress on quality is moving at a fast clip - very typical of "lets copy someone else's product". Eventually, maybe 3 years, you'll see new brands popping up WITH fcc type acceptance -for sure. just a matter of time.

Recently i came across the newer offering by Quansheng, which is a local radio manufacturer in Fujian province, China. This is their UHF handheld portable transceiver model TG-K4AT which claims a 400-470 Mhz frequency coverage, 99 memory channels, PL encode / decode, and up to 5 watts of RF output power. All in a compact case, huge 1100mA battery, charger, rubber duck antenna female SMA - radio has male SMA. It apparently is a good close copy to a Kenwood commerical radio.

I paid $32 USD for mine, out the door. This, without a lot of bargaining with the local vendor, so i probably paid $5 too much but oh well, thats life. Goes to show you the sharks in Hong Kong on EBAY are making a few bucks charging $40 to $50 for this radio and another $32 for shipping.

Quality on this unit is actually pretty good. Sensitivity on UHF for this radio is clearly better than my Alinco dual band VX5R hand held. Deviation is right at 4.5%, power output was a tad above 4W on high power 1W low with a fully charged battery. Programming is reasonable - not totally intuitive but I had it down in about 30 minutes. PL encode and decode can be stored separately. Variable repeater splits can be programmed. Scans with auto-resume (slow scan rate though). For the money, it's a reasonable deal - includes HT, battery, rubber duck antenna, carry strap, and a 220V drop in charger (and very easily modified to 120V by changing a resistor).

I would not pay $100 for one of these radios, but for $32 why not. It would make a great APRS radio, a packet radio, or something to use to listen for satellites/FRS/GMRS or even UHF public service.

I wont say it's built like a tank, but it does have a very nice and solid feel to it.

Only modification i recommend - pry off the volume/power knob and grind down the inside "lip" to make it smooth with th radio case - this will prevent binding - all the radio's i tried had the volume knob interfering with the case. Grinding this down with my pocket knife fixed the problem and it is totally invisible cosmetically.

Display is bright. Mine even announces the key inputs in chinese (recall hearing this can change to english or thai too, but, have yet to figure that out). It's obnoxous so turning it off is my preferred method of operation.

Originally thought this would be a good IRLP radio, but the radio lacks a DTMF feature - so not the best choice if you node-hop, but a good choice for accessing a local node etc.

It uses a standard "kenwood" pin spacing for speaker-mic, so i bought a locally made clone speaker mic too ($4, who can resist). Will figure out some good function for this inexpensive radio - maybe UHF packet.

KB1JAE Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2007 14:24 Send this review to a friend