Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | kenwood TH-215A Handy_Talkie Help

Reviews Summary for kenwood TH-215A Handy_Talkie
kenwood TH-215A Handy_Talkie Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$400?
Description: 1980s 2-meter HT, big and bulky and good

You can write your own review of the kenwood TH-215A Handy_Talkie.

N9QID Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2015 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Big, reliable HT.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the radio that goes where I go every day. It is in my lunch bag at work, on my belt after work, and on the dresser at night.
Some of the good features are a real belt clip made of metal that keeps the radio on your belt, solid battery attachment, no computer needed to program, no menus, multiple scan modes, and most buttons only have 2 functions. There is very quick recharging with the BC-7 charger. In extreme danger it has enough heft to be used as a self defense weapon.
Some of the things that come up short. Only 10 memories, LCD screen that tends to go bad (mine has been going bad for a year now), and the volume control is vulnerable to being broken by a blow to the corner where it is, so you have no audio.
If you find one at a reasonable price with a good battery, give it a try. Sometimes simple is better.

N3HRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first radio also. Bought it in 1988 for about 400. That was a lot of money for me back then. It served me well for at least 5 years. I decided to sell it when the tits (sorry what else do you call them?) on the bnc connector where almost completely wore off from changing antenna's between the car and the house and the rubber ducky. It was my only radio. I regretted selling it almost immediately. I just bought another one for nostalgia's sake and love this one too. Great transmit and receive audio. The receiver audio is much louder/cleaner than most of today's HT's. You can't go wrong with this radio. 73, Martin N3HRT

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2006 21:44 Send this review to a friend
My first rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very very very cool rig, if I remember correctly it was $400 in 1985 or so, wow! With an AEA HotRod ant. it was quite a handful, but did it ever get out. By cutting jumpers inside it would listen to more, and talk to more, ahem, than intended, I never could choose which of the four so I cut 'em all and listened to a lot of interesting utility traffic. PL tone was easy, On or Off. By pressing in a button. Menus? We don't need no steenkin' menus!

I'm really surprised this rig is so rare these days, Kenwood must have not made that many before moving on to bigger and better things. If you get ahold of one, it should work great for you, the only thing I can think of that might go bad over time is tantalum caps or something.

Really a great HT, I wish I still had mine.