Reviews Categories | Contesting Hardware | microHAM MK2R and MK2R+ Help

Reviews Summary for microHAM MK2R and MK2R+
microHAM MK2R and MK2R+ Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $875. & 995 USD
Description: MK2R and MK2R+ are absolutely the most advanced, flexible and capable two-radio interfaces available today.

microKEYER 2R and microKEYER 2R Plus are designed for the serious contest operator or DXer with two transceivers.

microKEYER 2R and microKEYER 2R Plus includes rig control interfaces for two supported radios (Elecraft, Icom, JRC, Kenwood, Ten-Tec, and Yaesu), independent PTT outputs for both LNA and Power Amplifier control, an improved, second generation WinKey CW Keyer, receive and transmit audio switching. microKEYER 2R Plus also includes a unique, high performance, dual codec sound system.
More info: http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/mk2r.html

You can write your own review of the microHAM MK2R and MK2R+.

VO1AU Rating: 3/5 Oct 27, 2012 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Very difficult to set up and keep set up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found, and continue to find the MK2R+ very difficult to set up and integrate with N1MM Logger software for SSB contests. The installation guides are complicated and provide examples that do not match with what I see in my Windows 7 laptop.

Even when I have been able to set it up for one contest, I find I cannot rely on the MK2R+ to perform well in the next contest. There are just too many moving parts in the MK2R+ router software, N1MM Logger software and my laptop.

When I bought this device, I wanted an integrated solution for CW and SSB contests that would allow me to do SO2R easily. What I have is a good solution for CW contesting, and a good solution for SO2R, but the voicekeyer is undependable.

This is too much money for a device that is far too complicated and far too unreliable. I regret buying my MK2R+.

W0MU Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Everything you need and more!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Mk2R+ for SO2R operation and it has been great for CW, SSB and RTTY. I have used this unit with both FT-2000's and Elecraft K3's. I use SteppIR antennas and the integrated support for the SteppIR is great.

The setup can be difficult as there is a lot to this unit and getting it just right will take some time.

I use N1MM and it has worked flawlessly.

W7VP Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2010 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a very good product. I purchased it to replace my home brew SO2R equipment. (See Sept/Oct 2009 issue of NCJ). It is complex but provides a wide range of SO2R functions. Support by Joe, W4TV is incredibly good and he monitors several forums including N1MM. Unfortunately the microham forum has gotten a bad reputation from my dx club members for snotty responses from some of its members. Nevertheless it is a wonderful product and the help from Joe is above and beyond the usual customer service.
Bill
W7VP

WD5EAE Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2008 09:25 Send this review to a friend
The Cadillac  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MK2R+ is very well built, the interfaces both hardware and software are intuitive, features are numerous and flexible based on how you operate, and the service and support are second to none. W4TV's support is unbelieveably fast, accurate and invariably educational. The MK2R+ not only replaced various pieces of hardware, not only made things easier to configure and work together, not only prevents potentially unsafe/destructive operating, but makes operating more fun. You don't need to operate SO2R to appreciate and benefit from the microHam equipment.

W0TLE Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2007 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used the EZMaster, Rigblaster Pro and other interfaces in the past, but the MKR2+ is absolutely the best I have found. I really appreciate the USB PC interface.
Operating RTTY, CW and voice is fun and easy with this unit. I have it interfaced to my two ICOM-756ProIII transceivers.
I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for this kind of interface for their contesting or general day to day operating system.

DJ5TH Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2007 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product MK2R & support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not a SO2R contester but use 2 hi-end transceivers, which I want to protect, while using them both on shared antenna lines. There are many SO2R devices on the market. So I looked on the attributes and reviews of the most sold devices and choosed the MK2R from microham because of following reasons:
* MK2R uses a PC with USB-connection for increasing the benefits by synergy-effects and for updating the firmware.
* MK2R protects my 2 rigs, so that strictly only one transceiver can transmit at a time
* MK2R can work as sequencer to protect my IC-7800 against hot switching
* MK2R contains a powerful Winkeyer with several parameters for efficient el-bug usage. I work mostly on CW.
* MK2R contains a built-in isolated audio-interface for digital modes, namely FSK
* MK2R has very flexible headphone and speaker switching and mixing for the main- and sub-RX of both radios
* MK2R has a strong hardware interface for individual configuration, completed by a DB37-connector and a LPT-connector for some host logging programs. I use the LPT-line only for an CW-hand-key in addition to the CW-paddle.
* MK2R generates virtual serial ports for running 2 instances of MixW-software at the same time and supporting CAT. It is impressive, if 2 spectrums walk over the screen in 2 windows when You tune 2 transceivers. MK2R supports also many other logging programs.

The MK2R has an unbelievable wide flexibility with high potential as ďall in one boxĒ. I will not recommend it, if a user wants to get QRV within 5 minutes after unpacking just by plugging in 3 cables. You have to carefully read the english manual (written by W4TV) and you have to understand its principles of operation.
If You want to get a device, which needs an indivually configuration and so gives You a close binding to ur station and high grade of satisfaction and if You want efficient operation for 2 rigs, then the MK2R is the best choice to my opinion. The unit is well manufactured and the front is well structured.

The support by Jozef, OM7ZZ, for European users is excellent. Joe, W4TV, gives support for american hams, which I cannot evaluate. I am testing now the beta-version 5.0.0 of the router and v2.0 of the firmware and it is impressive, how continous product improvement by more powerful software is manifested in microhams company policy.

73 de Michael

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2007 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Piece of Equipment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the MK2R+ to replace my Top Ten Devices Dx Doubler which had served me well for the past two years or so.

This MK2R+ is in a different league. It will take some getting used to in terms of the complexity and variety of possible configurations.

So far I have not run it in a major contest effort but I have been able to get it operating in all of its modes.

I especially like the voice keyer and the headphone scenarios and overall flexibility of headphone switching.

It works absolutely seamlessly with Writelog and MMTY which I use for SO2R in RTTY. In a couple of the recent dxpeditions, I even configurd it to allow me to decode RTTY signals on the two VFO's of the FT1Kmp, by simply routing the audio to that soundcard.

I can't think of anything that could be added to improve this unit. I am currently even running my amps through the amplifier outputs and this too is working very very well.

This is one of the greatest pieces of ham equipment that I have in my shack.

OE1DIA Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Very flexible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this small black box few months ago and must say that it outperformed all my expectations. I have the unit MK2R+ with build in sound card audio and voice codec. The installation is easy, straightforward. The multiple scenarios suit all the needs one can have. I put my old home made so2r box on the shelf and enjoy using this magic box. If you are interested in contesting and SO2R this box is for you.

ON5ZO Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2006 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The MK2R+ has brought me SO2R in the three modes, all from one box. Being familiar with the other excellent microHAM products, I didnít want to buy any other brand for this contesting accessory. It was worth the waiting! I have the MK2R+ in use for little over 2 months now and tried it for RTTY, SSB voice keying and of course CW, my main activity.

The unit works great and I think it has everything on board that you need for serious SO2R contesting in the three modes.

As with all the microHAM products, the quality and finish of the overall product and the components used is really superb.
On the engineering side, the MK2R / MK2R+ is very well thought over. Software and firmware updates can add new features. The device has many options, parameters and is very flexible. This adds to the complexity of getting it to work. It's a bit more than a relay and a switch, so the setup is accordingly. But no fear: the user interface of the USB router software is very graphical and the manual is (over) complete.

Add to that the outstanding support of the microHAM team. You can count on a prompt reply to your questions and assistance to solve your problems, should you encounter some.

When it comes to SO2R the MK2R+ offers a lot of security. It is impossible to accidentally transmit on the same band with both rigs or have 2 signals on the air simultaneously (unless you disable SO2R or bypass the MK2Rís logic, which does not fall under 'accident').
There are a lot of possible audio switching scenarios, and I have some of them at hand under hotkeys on the front panel. Change switching with one button!

If you consider buying a new SO2R controller or change the old one, you should really check out the MK2R(+). It works great here and I am very pleased with it.

73 de Franki ON5ZO