Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | El Dorado High Sierra Help

Reviews Summary for El Dorado High Sierra
El Dorado High Sierra Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $545.00
Description: Base Station Version
More info: http://www.cq73.com/

You can write your own review of the El Dorado High Sierra.

KC9GXC Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2006 10:19 Send this review to a friend
BAse Station Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can stated without reservation that El Dorado is great for a base antenna for those of us that are restricted for space or live in a community with antenna restrictions.
This was money well spent.
I tried several antennas trying to keep a low profile and easy set up, but none of the compared to the High Sierra in terms of over all performance, ease of set-up and tuning.
The antenna was easy to set-up (follow the manual). I decided to mount it on an MFJ 6 portable tripod that elevates the bottom of the antenna about 5 above the ground, using the radial kit that comes with it. I set it up in my driveway and Im ready to go. Set-up and take down time is less than 3 minutes. Super easy.
Tuning using the k box was easy. Save the money on an external tuner. Using my SWR meter on my radio the highest SWR I got was 1.5 :1 on 40M. On 10-20 it is lower. I did not try it on any of the bands, yet.
Now for the good news on 17m on 10/21/06 I worked Mexico City and Italy (a town 400mi N of Rome) with signal reports of 59+, using about 80Watts. On 40M and 20M I was able to hit the nets and continue to get good reports. Keep in mind this is not a beam or a vertical at 40, but it does a great job of getting you on the bands and then some.
Jim at HS puts together a quality product with great tech service. Save your self the time and money with other products and just get the HS El Dorado. I wish I had done it sooner.
Randy