Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-926 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-926
MFJ-926 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: The MFJ-926 Automatic Antenna Tuner covers the entire HF band from 1.6 to 30 MHz. It handles 200 Watts PEP maximum with a 10 watts minimum input power. MFJ-926 is weather-sealed for outdoor or marine use outside at the base of your ham station antenna -- a durable hard plastic cover and chassis plus an inner lip black rubber seal keeps the interior electronics cool and dry for many years of dependable use. The MFJ-926 provides very fast-tuning: initial tuning is less than 2 seconds and less than .2 seconds tuning from memory. It has 200 Memory channels. It tunes 6 to 30 MHz with wire greater than 8 feet and tunes 1.6-30 MHz with wire greater than 27 feet.It is designed 50 Ohm transceivers. The MFJ-926 requires 13.8 VDC at 1.5 Amps. Sleek and compact, it measures just 9 x 14 x 3 inches and weighs just 4 pounds. This tuner is built-to-last the elements! All connections are double protected with rubber sealing, entire cabinet is specially weather sealed with internal rubber lip. Includes mounting holes with metal strap on each end for easy securing.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-926

You can write your own review of the MFJ-926.

N4DCD Rating: 1/5 Sep 7, 2017 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right out of the box it did not work at all. Tried everything, tested the voltage injector and it was working fine. You could hear the tuner relay click one time when it was powered on but that was as far as it got. Sending it back for a refund.

KB6DRN Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2016 23:46 Send this review to a friend
A Faithful Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the MFJ-926B for several years and operate it into one of the world's most random, random wires. The wire antenna starts out in my garage where the tuner is located and meanders through the garage to an opening where it crosses within 2 inches of a large metal rain gutter, goes across the yard to a metal pole where it makes a 90 degree turn and goes about 60 feet to an end pole. It's only about 15 feet high and has a counter poise wire integrated into the tuner ground.

The 926B has been able to tune any frequency using my "junk" antenna on the 10M thru 160M bands without trouble. If the frequency is in memory, it tunes in about a second or less - If not it might take 5-6 seconds.

I once crashed the tuner by tuning a new frequency at full power however after performing the reset operation described in the manual it has continued to work fine for more than a year. I have a separated multi-ground rod grounding system on the tuner along with an MFJ-915 RF Isolator on the radio side at the tuner.

I gave it a 4 because I initially had to trim the plastic cover to interface the PL-259 connector to the 926B. That's been the only tuner-induced problem I've experienced with the 926B. It's been a good tuner and I enjoy using the device.

KA9CAR Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2016 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this 926 BRT unit new in late 2012. I am writing this review in mid 2016. I run a 100 watt station. I used it on my 33 foot vertical for several years, and now on a 43 foot vertical. It will tune the antenna from 160 to 6. I added a relay inside the unit to GROUND the antenna and disconnect the tuner from the antenna when the power is off. Occasionally I find it needs to be power cycled to get it to tune, but it always does tune.

KE7GZU Rating: 3/5 Mar 25, 2016 12:09 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 926B DOA UPDATE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MFJ has shipped a new tuner with an RMA for the original unit to be returned. I'm impressed with the quick positive response to correct a problem. The Customer service Rep said the IC that was not soldered in place was not used in the model. I will connect the tuner later today and see if it works. Had several e-mails back and forth with the Rep. I certainly applaud their customer satisfaction service.
Will update after confirming functionality!

N6DMR Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2016 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Needs Help - Failed in a few Months  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had this unit for less than 6 months, it is already on its way back to MFJ for a 6-8 week repair cycle. Used this only a few times over the 6 months I have owned it and it performed "ok" but reliability is dismal.

Unit stopped tuning 80m and failed the self test programs.

Rated at 200 watts, I used it at a much lower power level usually 50 watts and it still failed prematurely.

While waiting for the LONG, LONG, LONG repair cycle, I am mow using and LDG RT100 which is working flawlessly.

MFJ, should rearrange their name to MJF so it can stand for "mine just failed".

Did I mention the LONG, LONG, LONG repair cycle? I think MFJ's repair staff must be larger that all the manufacturing personnel.

K6CRC Rating: 2/5 Dec 29, 2014 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Meh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use a 926B to tune an inverted L (32' up, 80' long) into my K3. About all I can do with my tiny lot. Dozen 30' radials at 100 degree spread. The MFJ tunes all bands 80-12 just OK, but cannot remember the settings all the time. I am constantly re-tuning it. Cannot get it to tune any part of 10m, so use rig tuner. You can say the tuner 'works'. The 259 connection is clumsy, the plastic tuner cover needs to be trimmed to allow weatherproofing tape to be installed. My K3 internal tuner does a much better job tuning the higher bands, even thru 80' of LM400 coax.

Not impressed with the product or design. Is there anyone else out there who can make a decent low cost remote tuner??

W1BG Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2014 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my 926B right at a month, using it to more or less keep things in check on the 5-band fan dipole I have on my 6' wooden privacy fence. The best thing about it is it gives me a perfectly flat SWR all across whatever band I choose. Like another reviewer, my Bias-T also had a rattle inside that turned out to be one of the hex nuts for one of the SO-239 connectors... OK, sloppy assembly, but now 2 people reporting the same issue, shame on you. I would have given it a 5 had it not been for that.

DH4SC Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2013 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my MFJ-926B a couple of weeks ago. I tried it on my elevated inverted L for 160m, 80m, 40m and then on my 2x16m dipole that I use on all bands. The tuner always tunes to a good SWR but I noticed high losses on 80m and 160m. With this tuner my signals were abt. 2 S-units lower than with the SGC-230. I think this is caused by the lossy coils inside the tuner. The air coils of other tuners seem to work much better.

N1SV Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2013 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Does the job but typical MFJ quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My MFJ-926B arrived undamaged in spite of the poor packing job. The label on the bottom cover that identifies what the different connectors are for was installed backwards. I had difficulty installing coaxial cables because of the position of the top cover and had to bend the top cover a little so that the cables connector barrel would not bind. Cutting the plastic cover back a little in this area would probably solve this problem.

I really liked the inclusion of a bias-T so that the tuner could be powered from a coaxial cable rather than having to install an additional cable. I connected the MFJ-926B to my new Butternut HF9V which would not resonate below 3.0:1 on 17m and where the 2:1 bandwidth on 80m was only 40 KHz. In both the cases the tuner did the job! On 17m it quickly tuned the antenna to a 1.0:1 SWR. And on 80m I was able to match a 12.7:1 SWR below the antennas resonant frequency and 21.1:1 SWR above it. The instruction manual had a lot of helpful information in it.

KE7MU Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2012 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Typical MFJ Quality, right out of the box, the Bias Tee unit rattled with a loose connector mounting screw. The labeling on the Bias Tee is confusing at best, and the power plug has no indication as to polarity of the center of the plug. Never the less I did get it to work.

The tuner power will not pass through an remote coax switch. I was told by the vendor prior to purchase that it would, "No Problem" famous last words.

I hooked it up to my 80 meter loop ( through a 4:1 balun ) and it would only tune down to 20 meters ( Not sure why but most likely my fault )
So I hooked it to my 40/80 shortened dipole and it tuned every band down to 10 meters with an indicated SWR of less than 1.25 :1 ( Estimated on a TS-570 S meter ). I still have to try it on a 23 foot vertical and a long wire, but it looks like it should work out fine ( if it doesn't stop functioning, after all it is MFJ ).

Not sure what to do with it now as I can't control it through my remote Coax switch, maybe mobile or camping. YMMV