Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BCT15 Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BCT15
Uniden BCT15 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$319.95
Description: BearTracker Mobile Trunking Scanner with GPS Support. 2500 Dynamically
Allocated Channels
* Temporary Lockout
* Dangerous Crossing, Dangerous Road and POI Alert
* Public Safety Scanner
More info: http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BCT15

You can write your own review of the Uniden BCT15.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Nicely implemented either way  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Personally, I don't see why you need software except to back up your settings or if you desire a larger screen and logging. I did three manually. It just requires shutting off the default close call, local preloaded stuff, etc., and then pressing menu a lot. You then create the sites, systems and groups and talkgroups (Motorola) or frequencies (conventional)under each system. That is a brief OUTLINE. Like the FT-2000, read the manual. Performance and audio are fine, back lighting is a plus and should be on all radios including HF radios like Icom, Yaesu and Kewnwood .

VA7DBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Non-Digital Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can not say enough about this scanner. It just fits the bill. I must add that you (to save your hair)do need to program it from a computer. But there are abundant free software programs that accomplish the task quite well. The cable came with the scanner and with a free comm port and the software after a quick copy to clipboard and using EZGrab in FreeScan. I was off to the races. Can't say enough about it considering the price.

73s VA7DBC

N2WEC Rating: 2/5 Jan 16, 2009 17:57 Send this review to a friend
A programming nightmare!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unless you are a computer programmer the memory system on this "computer" is just plain awful. There is nothing simple about it. It thinks it needs to check something else even when you tell it to hold on one frequency. Receive is good, but just try to program it. I hope you have hair left on your head. How do you tell it to do what a scanner is supposed to do? Sorry I don't have a PhD in computer science. Even conventional type scanning is a memory joke. I am ready to throw this scanner throught the wall.

WQGA468 Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2008 13:31 Send this review to a friend
The best analog scanner, period.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not knowing whether to buy a PSR-400 or this radio for my dedicated analog scanner, I bought both for head to head tests on outdoor antennas. The 400 just plain overloads too easily. I live in a RF warzone and it just couldn't deal with it as well. Without attenuation, very little got through. With attenuation, it did much better, but could not match the BCT15 which preferred its attenuation off, even given my location. Very interesting. On the VHF civilian airband, there just wasn't any comparison. The uniden just killed the GRE scanner. The uniden pulls in more signals by far, and they are cleaner, no attenuation needed. That was a pretty short, and cut and dry test. No competition really. VHF high public safety was next. I was focusing on the PFD which operates in the 153-155 mhz range. The uniden again was far superior, pulling in signals from farther away, consistently, and with no attenuation needed. Military air was next and the Uniden turned in the best performance I have seen from a modern scanner, simply shaming the GRE unit, that didn't take long to see. Now I can listen to my local air force base and the F16 squadrons, finally. UHF was next, and for these tests I focused on the AZ DPS which operates in the 460 mhz range, and on the local GMRS traffic (462-467 mhz). Here, things were much closer, and I had to give just a slight edge to the uniden scanner. I tested the 800 and 900 mhz ranges for a few minutes, and the two seemed evenly matched there as well, with no clear winner. The only intermod came on a 163 mhz aircraft channel when the local noaa weather station punched in here and there, adjacent channel interference really.On GMRS the BCT15 pulls in signals nearly as well as my base station unit, just amazing.

While it won its contest, just as interesting to me is that it also bested the uniden 996, the 396, as well as the gre 500 & 600. In short, this is the best analog scanning unit I have ever tested, whether analog only or digital / analog. The high end digital units couldn't match what it can do either. I am guessing there is some sacrifice in analog monitoring quality when they have to fit digital in the scanner also, because the difference is clear.

For scanning analog signals you cannot beat this unit (at least with my location / conditions / antenna). It even shamed the old PRO-2006 and BC9000xlt. It's simply the top dog, and well worth the extra $60 it costs over the PSR-400. No wonder it is the only scanner on EHAM that has earned a 5/5 from every reviewer. It rocks.

Programming was done with Free Scan (free as the name implies). The program was a little too limited to do everything, but I put the final touches in by hand. Buy one of these now, while they are still in production, or you will kick yourself later.

KC8NZJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2008 17:33 Send this review to a friend
great scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This scanner is great! The memory is awesome too! No more banks with only a couple frequecies. You control how many channels and banks. It is also nice to be able to scan trunking and conventional frequencies at the same time.

One note, programming software is a MUST with this radio. I downloaded a free program off the web called freescan. The programming menus are way to confusing otherwise.

KY4EKM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy For the Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this scanner is the best buy that you can find for the money.Loaded with features. if you can program a
vhf mobile ham radio than you can program this radio. if you take time to read the manual. really don't need the software. i did get the arc15 software but all the features did not work. save yourself some money and program the radio manually.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2007 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Superb Bargain  Time owned: more than 12 months
The BCT15 is a terrific scanner for the price. I echo the other reviewers comments that this is one beautiful device. It is well-built with a nice solid metal case and chassis. It is not a plastic toy like some other scanners appear to be. Controls have a nice feel to them. Sensitivity is excellent and is consistent across the very broad range that this scanner covers. Selectivity is good and inter-mod is non-existent at my location. The scanner has an enormous number of features. I have not even tried some of them yet and I have owned 4 of them for over a year.

I live in Suffolk County on Long Island and we have an extensive trunking system here that covers most county agencies and many town agencies. The BCT15 handles non-APCO 25 trunking systems incredibly well.

Software is a must with a scanner that is this complicated and that has so many channels to fill. I use ARC15 and it makes getting the most out of the BCT15 a snap.

I own many other scanners, including the BCT996 (big borther to the BCT 15), but the BCT15 represents the best bang for the buck out there as far as I am concerned (especially if you do not need to listen to APCO 25 systems in your area). Uniden clearly got it right with this unit. Great job.

N1SQB Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2007 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievably Awsome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is by FAR be the best Holiday Gift I ever received. I have been monitoring since the days of crystal radios.(Yes!Im old)Anyway,I have had the pleasure (also the displeasure at times) of owning a LOT of scanners. I have NEVER played with a scanner as unbelieveable as this one. Where
do I even begin? The audio is crisp and loud. The sensitivity is right on the money. I was able to pick up airport towers that were only scratchy at best with other radios. The 800 band. Sensitivity rivals that of a commercial 800 mhz radio. There are Way TOO MANY features to cover and not enough space on here. I even tested this baby on the 88-108 broadcast band. I know this is NOT why you buy a scanner. However I write this as a testament to the sensitivity and selectivity of this radio. I was picking up radio stations that my boom box and other FM radios hardly hear. I left the radio on at one point and forgot it was the scanner and not my portable boom box. Thats how good this radio is. I will say that software is a MUST with this radio. Too much to tackle programming the old fashion way. Once you learn the idea of dynamic memory,you will wonder how you ever did without it. Lightning fast scanning.
The only thing that really bugs me is the clicking on the volume and squelch knobs. I prefer
a smoother feel but thats small potatoes in comparison to all the things you get with this radio. There is even a rubber cover to safeguard the DB-9 connector in the rear.Who thinks of these things? The best feature of all is the price. Under $250 in most places. How can you beat that? This is by FAR the best analog scanner out in the market today.Get one,you will NOT be sorry. Uniden,if you are reading this; YOU GOT THIS ONE RIGHT! THANK YOU..

KB2GQK Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up this scanner last week from my distributor. This by far,is the best base/mobile scanner I have ever used. It is not easy to program but I called Uniden and spoke to Paul Opitz there and he helped me program in via a quick system. I love the feature such as selectable scan delay on each channel, CTCSS/DCS and tone search. I also like the signal strenght meter. I have not had time to store alpha tags yet. Audio and sensitivity are outstanding. I sent back my BCT-8 which is junk next the Uniden BCT-15. I deceided to put this in the house and keep a Radio Shack PRO 433(made by Uniden) in the car till I get more familiar wirh this scanner. Great job,UNIDEN!!

N0VKG Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2007 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Awesome...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an awesome product. The NFM mode on 900Mhz is perfection. No HISS/STATIC/CRACKLE as with some other radios. Most notably the PRO-94 was notorius for poor audio, and poor NFM capabilities on the 900Mhz band. The audio is awesome. My BCD-396T taught me that using the UASD program from Uniden is essential. Its much easier putting stuff in via a
PC keyboard then the small keypads on the BCD-396T and the BCT15. But other then that, this radio has got excellant sensitivity, and I think it has some of the best sounding audio I have ever heard from any consumer based scanner product. It is comparable to the awesome audio from the PRO-528. My only complaint is that I wish they could have added in a MUTING circuit for the CTCSS/DCS tones from the speaker & external speaker. The CTCSS/DCS tones come thru loud and clear. Most listeners will not want to hear it. Also any subaudible trunking codes also come thru loud and clear on the voice channels.