Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Jones Keys PK-200 Red Base Iambic Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for Jones Keys PK-200 Red Base Iambic Paddle
Jones Keys PK-200 Red Base Iambic Paddle Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$170 Original MSRP
Description: This is a very solid and well made paddle
with each of the two levers supported top
and bottom with precision rotary ball race
bearings. This was their original. It was followed by
the all brass PK-200B which became their
biggest seller in the U.S.A. PK-200's were
$170, the PK-200B's sold originally for
$190. They even made a gold plated model, PK-200G which sold for $350. This is a heavy rascal, weighing right at
3 lb 9-1/8 Oz. The base measures 3''x
4-1/8". Connections are to three small
solder lugs underneath. Paddle spacing
is adjusted by twisting of the oval post at
the rear and then readjusting the contact
spacing. The tension is handled by the
two screws in the sides of the housing
which actually are hollow, and contain
tiny springs within reminiscent of Begali
contacts in a Signature paddle.

You can write your own review of the Jones Keys PK-200 Red Base Iambic Paddle.

KE6L Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Incredible  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for about 20 years. Excellent feel and performance. One thing I did years ago. I found that plating whiskers were causing "runaway key" syndrome. I like tight contact spacing, and sometimes the key would just start keying! Solution was to remove large thumbwheel with contacts on the end. I then dipped them in SN96 (tin-silver) solder. Just the very tip. Makes a fine contact material that will not oxidize, and works great up against the gold plated button on the key paddle. Never had a problem since. You almost have to have a SEM microscope to see the problem. Tinning the end solves it. This is the only key I've ever really liked since I quit using a straight key. Too bad Jones isn't around anymore. Jones musta been a true CW addict - the key reflects a lot of insight about operating.

K2JN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 18:52 Send this review to a friend
The star of my collection...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my key (S/N 659) in 1996 when I was living in the UK. The initial price was about $130 after currency conversion. For a while, they were also imported and sold by Polamar Engineers. Unfortunately, these keys are no longer made, however, can be seen periodically at a radio rally or eBay.

My Jones key was shipped in a styrofoam box, partially disassembled in two separate pieces with a plastic bag of parts. The first piece was the pre-drilled steel base. The second was a brass block assembly with the two paddles pre-mounted. The plastic bag contained over three dozen small parts; rubber feet, adjustment screws, contact points, springs and various mounting hardware. It took me about 15 minutes to construct the kit. Once assembled, the key weighs about 3-1/2 pounds.

Each solid brass paddle adjustment screw contains a brass plunger and a spring for paddle tension. Paddle spacing can be adjusted for either a wide or narrow action, with a light or stiff tension. In addition, the paddle finger pads rotate up or down to give an added dimension on finger placement. Jones indicated that the key design was based on input from expert CW operators. This is reflected in the number of operator adjustments available.

I own several keys and this is by far my favorite of the lot. Quality is symbolic of superb British craftsmanship with precision machined or molded components. The contact points are hard copper rod with a gold plating.

WQ3X Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2007 10:55 Send this review to a friend
My Everyday Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over ten years and picked it up (still in the original box) for $50 at a hamfest. It is a real sweetheart! I have a lot of keys, keyers and paddles - Not that I'm so much of a collector, just can't pass up a good deal - and this key has been on my ham table since I bought it. This says a lot. It is like the Energizer bunny! I still like the looks of some of the other paddles (especially Vibroplex) but this is the one I use.

2E0TBV Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2007 08:05 Send this review to a friend
OWNED FOR 3 MONTHS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ABSOLUTELY CRACKING PEICE OF KIT. AS A NEW OP ON C.W MY SENDING HAS IMPROVED NO END SINCE I GOT THE PADDLE AT A RALLY. I'M A BIT HEAVY HANDED AND MY VIBROPLEX USED TO SLIDE ACROSS MY BENCH. THE JONES HAS NEVER BUDGED ONCE TO PRESS. VERY SILKY MOVEMENT TOO. I'LL NOT BE SELLING THIS BABY.

W5PEH Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2006 19:20 Send this review to a friend
.44 Magnum of Paddles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this key for a little over a month. I picked it up off ebay. they are going in the $200 to $300 price range. Trouble is they are not made any longer and if you want one it seems the price is creeping up there. It is one fine paddle. I use it along with a Begali Simplex and Kent TP-1 and all three are awesome in there own way. The Jones is my favorite next to the Begali, but at times I favor the Jones also. Awesome feel and sound to this key. If you can find one get it, dont think you will want to ever get rid of it....definitely a keeper for me and one of my top three keys. All three of these keys are my number ones. Poilshes up very very nice as can be seen by the Product Photo. I have some photos if needed. Contact me at cameldriver777@aol.com if you want a closer look. Very nice Paddle. Very nice. 73 Pete W5PEH