Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED Help

Reviews Summary for Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED
Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Boom microphone headset
More info: http://www.warrengregoire.com

You can write your own review of the Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED.

AB1QK Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2015 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied Customer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I saw this on QRZ, and I wanted a headset for my Kenwood TS 590S and My Yaesu T-897D.
Warren was very helpful during the order process and he discussed the important points of the headset, especially in adjusting the mic boom. It arrived earlier than promised!
I could not wait to put it to work!
I'm getting great AUDIO reports and frequently get answered on my first attempt in pileups.
More than once I've heard "you sound like you're right next to me!"
I own 5, of what I call, 'application specific' headsets. This one is very comfortable and provides excellent mic audio, as well as providing a nice listening experience.
I'm both a CW & SSB Operator.
I've read all the negative reports and it seems they were mostly people who had refused the offer to address their problem, as they reached for the refund, instead. I've referred several of my Amateur radio friends, and I personally have 40+ years experience in servicing electronics equipment. I am also impressed with the fact that he answers his phone. Keep up the good work Warren.

W4RAA Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2015 04:34 Send this review to a friend
Distorted Audio/Poor Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a headset for use with my Yaesu FT-857D on field days and portable operations. I ordered the TR-2000 headset with a hand PTT. Upon opening the package and attaching the headset to the 857D the first thing I noticed was that the RJ plug that is used for the microphone/headset did not lock into place at all. The only way it stayed in place was when I attached the removable face plate back on the 857D main body and it could not move. I began to make several tests with multiple contacts on several bands. Every contact came back with "your audio is distorted". I checked my compression and audio gain to make sure that I was not over driving the audio in which I was not. Again all reports came back with "Distorted Audio".
I removed the TR-2000 headset and installed the Yaesu Stock microphone and made several contacts, all audio reports were good. I then attached my HEIL headset from my ICOM 7800 again all audio reports were good. I called Warren and explained to him what was happening. He asked me how far away my mouth was from the microphone and did I realize that the headset mic was noise canceling, etc, etc. He then asked me what antenna I was using. I told him I had several antennas I use. He then when on a verbal down grading of my antennas and how I should have them checked out and buy better quality antennas.
I told him that I have been using these antennas for several years with absolutely no problems to include when I was using my HEIL headsets on three different radios. Warren was talking to me like I was below him and his "Intelligence level".
At this point I told him that I was shipping the
TR-2000 headset back to him for a refund.

Don't waste your time and money on this cheap quality headset. I received my refund (Minus shipping both ways)8 days after they received the headsets. ( sent USPS priority mail with signature required)

K4CMC Rating: 0/5 Mar 16, 2015 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy from them!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered one of these headsets assembled for my TS-590S as I currently use a stock mike and a set of earphones. I get lots of compliments on my audio with that setup and have never had RFI issues. When it arrived I was favorably impressed with the comfort of the headset, but when I tested it on 15 M I was told the audio was horribly distorted with RF feedback. I then turned the mike gain back and installed clamp-on ferrites on all the wires. I tried it on 20 M with similar distorted audio results despite turning the gain even further back. Upon calling the company I can echo the comments made by others that the person answering the phone was patronizing, offensive and rude. He admitted that this was a problem that they had experienced with these headsets, but wanted me to pay to send it back to install a filter in the mike line. I did not order this to pay to have their design problem fixed. Needless to say I am not a happy camper and am returning this for whatever part of my original price I can get as a refund. Based on other feedback I probably will get screwed out of part of my initial expenses, plus the return shipping costs. I have never had this kind of experience dealing with Heil! I would highly recommend not dealing with a company that not only has problematic products, but has even more problematic employees.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2015 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently ordered the plain headphones without the microphone and without a plug since I planned to put on my own. I have been using them in this weekend's CW contest and I am pleased to say that they are very nice. They are not very heavy and have felt comfortable after several hours of use. For the price I think they are an excellent value.

AB6WC Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2015 14:00 Send this review to a friend
First Rate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all the negative reviews about WGA's service, I thought I should respond. My wife decided she wanted to get me a headset for Christmas to complement the FTDX1200 I had bought to celebrate getting my Extra. After looking at the various alternatives I decided that for the price the TR2000 looked like a good option. To ease her job, I called the company to confirm that they could assemble one with the connector that would be compatible with the 1200 since it wasn't on the compatibility list on the WGA website. I reached voicemail and left a detailed message. Within the hour (on a Saturday) I received a callback from Warren Gregoire himself. "Sure," he said, "no problem; it will definitely work with your new rig." I told him I'd have my wife call him Monday with the order. Our conversation was completely cordial. He was friendly and professional in all respects. On Monday my wife called and ordered the headset, from the notes I had given her about model, price, etc. Two days later the unit arrived via Priority Mail. Naturally I strained my will power and waited until Christmas to open her nicely wrapped package, then immediately headed to the shack to try it. From that day to now, I have consistently received 59 reports all over the place, and when I asked how the audio was the typical reply was "your audio is great." Then, in planning this review, I asked my wife how her experience had been when she placed the order. She stated that whoever she spoke with understood exactly what she needed, and was very friendly and comfortable to work with. To sum up, our dealings with WGA's people were great, and so far the headset works great. The phones are so comfortable that I have actually forgotten a couple of times that I've had them on. My only caveat is that if you get the TR2000, be sure to check your rig's mike gain. The first time I used the TR2000 I found I was overdriving the transmitter, and when I thought about it I remembered that I had originally adjusted the gain using the standard Yaesu PTT mike and hadn't thought to check it when I added the new headset. When I set the meter to ALC, I discovered that the boom mike only needs about half as much gain to properly drive the rig. I've only had it now for a few weeks, but both the mike and phones have been all I could have hoped for. I couldn't be happier so far.

WD0BC Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2012 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Slight problem when received....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the add in QST I telephoned and was told that unit would be "custom wired for your K3".

Unit arrived two plus weeks later .

The unit was a nice unit and had good mic audio BUT the headphones were MONO.

K3 has STEREO and duel receive. Unit was NOT acceptable as shipped.

When I called about the problem I was told "most of our customers don't want stereo phones".

I informed the gentleman that ALL K3's have stereo capability as standard.

I was told that I could send it back postage paid along with $20 and it would be re-wired.

Sent it back for a REFUND....

The shipping invoice states all returns MUST BE POST PAID,INSURED. I sent it post paid, insured and SIGNATURE REQUIRED. I didn't want any "problems" with it getting misplace or lost somewhere.

I lost a TOTAL OF $26 on the deal.

I can not fault the product I received for what it was HOWEVER it was not what I ordered.

I would NOT advise anyone you order this unit UNLESS you get assurances that this is EXACTLY what you want.

N9FTC Rating: 0/5 Jul 5, 2012 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Very Displeased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello All, I purchased my new assembled headset with connector on 6/4/12 after seeing their advertisement in QST. It was shipped a week later. I will say it was well packaged and insured. I connected it to my Icom 756 Pro III and gave a short CQ. I quickly discovered the Microphone boom was not long enough no matter how hard I tried to pull it out further to make it fit, I have a large head. My side tone signal was mushy and distorted. After checking my Mic gain to be sure I was not over driving I then called the factory and asked about the boom length. Their response was obliviously you cant read. The guy on the phone was not friendly at all. When I told him that I tried to pull it out further he stated it would extend to any length. Obviously not. I asked about the mushiness and distorted sound. I then received more abuse. There after I asked if I could return the headphones and received more verbal abuse. I said maybe it was time for someone to write a review on your customer phone services. At that point the guy went ballistics. I returned the Headset VIA insured mail on 6/21/12 and received a refund on 7/ 3/12 I paid a total of $81.90 for the headset and was refunded $68.95

I personally would not recommend this headset or company to any serious Ham.

KK6AW Rating: 2/5 Oct 12, 2010 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Not stereo, Can't listen to both VFO's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this set for over 2 years, they're big, heavy and uncomfortable. I have been running CW most of the time and simplex to boot I did not have the opportunity to use both VFO's on my rig. This unit comes with what appears to be a Stereo plug but only has two solder points and is wired as mono. I found out it was mono when I tried to chase the new DXCC countries and listen to the dx station in one ear and the xmit freq in the other. The good: it works, I have nothing bad to say about the audio cartridge. The Bad: The ear pieces are very painful after a few minutes regardless of how I adjust them. The Boom mike is almost non adjustable and cannot be moved up and out of the way when not needed. It tends to spring back to original position and is a PIA to use. I have taken this apart and I think I can run another 2 conductor wire and use a real stereo plug and make this a stereo headset. I have owned 2 heil headsets and they work well with my 2 VFO's, unfortunately I am hard on headsets and my heil is intermittent on the boom mike.

F6GYY Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do own 4 headsets of ths type for my TS-850 and Elecraft K3 transceivers...
Great modulation and no RFI at all !!!
Got compliments from everywhere...

Had two Pro Set Plus....Deceiving, has RFI all along with them, even with ferrite cores. Did open one of them, basic construction inside, no
bypass capacitors... a shame for the very high price.

Vy 73 Bertrand

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2010 14:30 Send this review to a friend
LITE & DURABLE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Gave $12 for a NEW "ASSEMBLED" set of these headphones at a local tailgate & it was a "GREAT DEAL".They sound VERY good & are MUCH better put together that the Radio Shack headphones they replaced as well as being VERY lite.