Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED Help

Reviews Summary for Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED
Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Boom microphone headset
More info: http://www.warrengregoire.com

You can write your own review of the Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED.

K8JHR Rating: 2/5 Jan 28, 2009 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Lousy headset  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am very disappointed with the quality and performance of this product. Cheap, inexpensive construction, with poor sound isolation that sounds "plastic" - thin, and hollow, which is exactly how it is made. There is no sound dampening material inside the earphone covers. Hardly high fidelity sound reproduction.

The microphone, in a word, sucks. It is a two dollar electric condenser microphone element on what appears to be a homemade flexible rubber-coated boom. The foam wind screen is merely glued to the otherwise fully exposed microphone element. There is no plastic or metal housing to protect or cradle the mic element.

Overall, really cheap, cheesy construction. The earphone receivers are just cheap little speakers, and sound like it. The electret condenser microphone overdrives my Ten-Tec OMNI-VII - I cannot use this microphone unless I turn the mic-gain down to the lowest possible setting. That puts the input level right down at the rig's noise floor, and overdrives the AGC. (Maybe I could use it with an inline attenuator or if I adjust the rig's internal hardware mic gain control, but otherwise not.)

Just MY take... perhaps, your mileage might vary... Anyone want to buy my low mileage set for cheap? :-)

=== James -- K8JHR ===

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2007 05:18 Send this review to a friend
It works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
The previous reviewer must have a hard to fit head.
I have mine but do not use them too much. From a technical standpoint, they may not stand up to much scrutiny, but for my pat they are as good as anything out there.

W7ARX Rating: 1/5 Oct 8, 2007 04:18 Send this review to a friend
for $60, don't expect much  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of these because I didn't want to spend $200-300 for a simple headset. What I got was a dismal disappointment. Headset fits extremely loose and I have audio distortion and hum where my Icom SM-8 works fine in the same hook up. Wiring is very, very thin and doubtful, have much shielding. I contacted WG about the problems with the headset, and they told me to refer to the ARRL Hand Book on RFI and GL! Some customer support.

When I told them about the very loose fitting headset, they sent me two small squares of foam, which do nothing and are no functional.

Again, dont' expect much for under $100. You get what you paid for.

WB5MHA Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 12:43 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the assembled PTT/boom mike headset and put it on the air this afternoon.

Works great on my 897 and feels good. A very good value for the price.

W7ARX Rating: 3/5 Sep 10, 2007 12:31 Send this review to a friend
So-SO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of the preassembled TR-2000's. My overall impression is that it is okay, but mine is so loosely fitting that if you look down, it falls off. No way to snug it up.

I also have had problems with RF (common mode) on the mic cable to external audio box, something I never had with other mics. Ended up running turns through a snap on choke.

All in all, it is an okay headset, buy leaves much to being called robust or high quality.

KD5ZEF Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2007 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Very good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered an assembled set with the foot pedal plug with the intent of using it on field day with my Icom 746 (non pro). With proper adjustment of the mic it works and sounds great. At field day it got a lot of use. I consistently get good audio reports, too.

The noise cancelling works well, especially if you're looking at the noise source. For FD 2007 my station was near the A/C unit of the tent (yes, air conditioning in an enclosed, self supporting, military tent!) and the headset and mic performed very well and was very comfortable.

For the price these are sold, they're well worth having for contesting and everyday ragchewing.

N7HHC Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2007 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my TR-2000 Headphones with mic today and am very pleased with everything. I bought them assembled rather than the kit and am impressed with the quality of the headphones and the wiring job. I could probably have purchased the kit and put it together myself but chose to save my time for other things and let them do it. Very comfortable so far, used them about 6 hours this afternoon with no discomfort whatsoever. The push to talk switch works great and outside noise is almost eliminated while wearing the earphones. I can hear signals buried down in the noise level that I can't hear at all on the speaker. I would certainly recommend this product to anyone wanting good quality earphones with a mic. I talked to people I work frequently and they said my audio was great, even better than with the Kenwood mic I had been using. If anything happens to these I would not hesitate to buy another set.

WW5AA Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2006 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just ordered my second set. I have used this headset in my airplane for several years with great results. It is honestly better than the expensive set now relegated to the XYL. Several months ago my Heil head set bit the dust just before doing my net control duties. I wired an adapter for the Warren Gregoire headset and was amazed at how well they worked. For less than 60 bucks this is a great way to go

KX4JR Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2006 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Mike, Headset wired wrong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WATCH OUT! If you intend to use this headset/mike combo with any TenTec ORION's, 1 or 2, and you buy the pre-assenbled kit, the headset comes thru wired monaural...TALKED with the manufacturer...he said that the buyer MUST specify mono, or stereo wiring for the earphones...they use a stereo plug for ALL setups, but wire them for mono (bypassing the ring on the plug - thankfully). So, beware....
The mike and the earphone are GREAT!

WN4DW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2005 15:36 Send this review to a friend
A REAL DEAL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the kit, $46.00 with shipping. If you buy one save the extra 8 bucks and buy the connector from a local supplier and you'll save 4 bucks. I added a foot switch that I bought three of for 10 bucks on ebay and I'm really happy with the result. The head phones sound better than my Kenwood HS-5, they are more comfortable and I get great audio reports (that seldom happened when using my ICOM Mic.) The directions aren't great, but they are adequate (they could use a drawing or two.) The right side tended to slide down on their own, but that was easily fixed by adding a few rings to the wires with a pair of dykes. They also had the holes all drilled in the same shell, so one side has an extra hole and I had to drill a hole in the other side. Thats a small thing. They really work well and that's what it's all about.