Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED Help

Reviews Summary for Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED
Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Boom microphone headset
More info: http://www.warrengregoire.com

You can write your own review of the Warren Gregoire & Associates TR 2000 KIT/ASSEMBLED.

K1XS Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2004 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really easy to build, took about 1/2 hour. The directions are very detailed. Added a pre-amp to get enough drive for my HF radio and a PTT switch from an old HT headset. I don't work enough phone to justify a high end headset, so this fit the bill. The headset is comfortable enough for SWL at night when everyone is sleeping. Good audio reports on transmit. Definately worth the $30.00.

K6TPL Rating: 3/5 Jun 20, 2004 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Connector Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the TR-2000 it was bought as a kit and went together very well. About two years ago I added push to talk and since then have not been able to get the headphones to work properly. They now live in my desk. I have used three new connectors with no luck. WHEN THEY WORKED THEY WERE GREAT. Only other problems is that the headphones do not hold there position. The right side always slides all the way down making them uncomfortable to wear.
I am sure the problem is my failing eye sight and the small connector. I would recommend and have recommended to others. For the price they are a good deal.

N5XYO Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2004 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Good value...low bucks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Considering the price...I can't find much too complain about. The kit was a breeze to build and I must admit that I've had more problems through the years with some hi-priced "big name" brands so I regard this product as a bargain. It works as described!

G3VGR Rating: 2/5 May 15, 2004 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Cheap and nasty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought these as a kit a long time ago. Being a CW Op, I threw away the microphone (which, mechanically seemed a bit mickey-mouse anyhow )and just used the headphones for dx'ing and contesting.The ear cups completely cover my ears and keep out external noises, which is good. One earpiece will not stay put when adjusted. The headphone cord is quite stiff and also gets itself twisted & tangled in knots all the time. The headphones are quite heavy and seem poorly balanced, so I am constantly readjusting them and pushing them back on my head. Audio quality seems ok, but after the signal has been through a 250Hz filter & audio DSP, I suppose it really doesn't matter too much anyway. I need to fix the earpiece adjuster and replace the cord. It would probably be better to buy a new pair of headphones from a reputable manufacturer (Koss or Sennheiser) instead

NX7U Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2004 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine new as a kit. I made a box to interface it with my FT-100 mobile, with which I currently use a Heil Proset with the HC-4 element.
The interface part was pretty simple. As the FT-100 uses a 6-pin RJ jack I just used a wall-mount RJ box and drilled an extra hole for a 1/8" jack for the headset microphone to plug into.
On-air testing indicated the TX audio was nearly identical with my HC-4...most heard no real difference.
For me, comfort was lower than the Proset...although the headphones "grip" the head tighter, and seal out the road noise a bit better, they are quite a bit heavier, and the microphone doesn't swivel out of the way.
But for less than 1/2 price, an excellent 2nd op or backup headset.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2004 00:29 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought my headset 2nd hand, and it is AWESOME. I was able to wire the DC blocking cap, and a resistor inside the 8-pin mic plug for my Kenwood rig. Very comfortable, and crisp, clear transmit audio. The price on these sets is a REAL bargain... I recommend them 100%. Not a lot of products one can say that about today!
73- Greg

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2003 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the TR2000 as a kit and just finished it a short time ago. I wired mine for my ICOM 2100H 2 Meter that I use in the house. The instructions were on the money. The wiring page gave enough info that I was able to get it to work the first time. I am using mine with a RatShack foot pedal, but wired it with a 1/8 mono plug so I can switch to a hand held PTT button if I so desire. I checked into a couple of the local repeaters and got good audio reports. The only change I would like to see is seperate volume controls for each earpeice. I am going to get another for my ICOM HTs for public service events. The price is right, the quality is good- they are not OTIS headsets, but they don't cost an arm and a leg either!! I highly recommend them!!

Tom, K9WLF/4

K0IZ Rating: 3/5 Jul 7, 2003 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Modified Calrad headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 30 year old stereo/mono Calrad headset which is identical to the TR2000 (except no mike). OK headphone audio quality for the price. Too bad the Calrad stereo/mono option is not available on the TR2000.

KC0MBM Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2003 21:42 Send this review to a friend
TR-2000  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am one of those strange types that absolutely prefer using a headset. Probably aquired during years of flying.
Had great difficulty finding a headset for Icom 2100. Warren Gregoire solved that problem. There are few businesses that support products as well as WG. He literally custom built a headset for me. Buy it.

KC2HZW Rating: 3/5 Jun 11, 2003 21:33 Send this review to a friend
It will get you on the air.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this headset for contesting use. Despite it's relatively low price the construction of the headset is not bad. The earcups and headband are very soft and comfortable to wear for extended periods, even with glasses on. The boom mic is not very flexible and it takes time to adjust it each time the headset is worn. The headset audio is not bad....not as good as my Sony VX-7000, but no distortion or hiss. Where this headset falls down is on the transmit audio. I have tried many different settings and find the audio to be, at best, "OK". I admit to being spoiled by the outstanding audio of the MD-200 I use, but the little electret mic just doesn't do the job. Audio sounds a bit muffled and certainly is not crisp and clear.
This headset can be purchased as a kit or preassembled. I purchased mine preassembled and I have to say it was a nice job. All in all for the price a nice unit but the audio needs some work.