Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | MTFT -Germany Help

Reviews Summary for MTFT -Germany
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 1.8/5 MSRP: $39GBP
Description: Magnetic balun No 11370
More info: http://www.wimo.com

You can write your own review of the MTFT -Germany.

GM0URD Rating: 2/5 Sep 27, 2012 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Could be improved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took my 11370 apart before using. The output terminal inside the balun is bare copper wire so I added a small eyelet solder tag & tightened it up securely. The manufacturers leaflet describes it as a 1:10 ratio balun but it appears to be a 1:9 ratio one. The three balun windings each going through the centre of the toroid nine times. The toroid seems to be a bit small for the number of windings as two turns overlap. Baluns work best when only about two thirds of the ferrite material is wound leaving a gap. The one thing that I will say in the baluns favour is that the center winding of the three goes to the antenna output terminal. This should maximize the coupling from the windings on either side. This unit is not waterproof and I would not use it on say 100 Watts. If you can please refer to page 84 of the February edition of RadCom which describes a similar type 1:9 balun used as an EME antenna. This antenna design by GM4UTP however is terminated at the end of the long wire by a non inductive resistor of between 700 ohms and 2 kilo ohms. This suggests that the MTFT 11370 range of baluns could also be used in this way with the terminating resistor connected to earth. Note also that the outer metal body of this balun has no internal connection and appears to be for cooling only. If you have one of these it is worth having a look inside it. You never know you may well be able to make a better one yourself.

ON4WIY Rating: 0/5 Aug 9, 2010 02:49 Send this review to a friend
BIG 0 !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Keep your hands of! swr.... not good on any band.
I'll tried several configurations and after a couple days I gave it up !
The same problem by my friend so I'am not alone....
We also tried with 20 m long wire agn 0.
So we decided to give it away to a swl his experience was the same :not good at all just junk!!!
Save your money and make some homebrew stuff.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 0/5 Apr 20, 2009 15:20 Send this review to a friend
mechanically awful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will comment on the WIMO Model 11370 which is not weatherproof and the use additional protection when using outdoors is advised.

I completely wrapped it with coax seal type of tape and put close the roof as a noise antenna to be used with my main antenna and the MFJ noise canceller unit. With the coax seal became virtually waterproof and I thought it was a good buy. It was not! The MTFT simply disassembled itself from the bottom. The bottom of the MTFT is just pressed into a cylinder and it is so easy the two thing just separate each other (a small toroid is inside). If I were the seller, I would be reluctant to sell a mechanically so weak unit.

As for performance WIMO says that can be used with reduced efficiency up to 150 MHz. I don't agree with this statement. As a receiving antenna I would say the upper limit is the 6 meters band.

A final note: this matching transformer costs about 59 euro. On the market there are alternatives especially nowadays. If you want to use a balun to transmit, the BC-7 by Barker and Williamson is totally another class and mechanically sturdy made. If you want to use a matching transformer like the MTFT, simply the classic choice of the MLB by RF-Systems is in my view a so much better choice: the MLB by RF-Systems is mechanically so better built and so much more wideband that can be used up to 40-50Mhz from 100Khz!!!

G0CJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2006 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Taken delivery of the above today. Designed to be fitted between tx/rx coax and wire indoors. With the exception of 7Mhz It has tuned with a 1:1:5 swr from 1.8-50Mhz For me, with a ver small garden only fifteen feet in diameter, this is great. May i recommend its use to others. The wire must be at least 20ft long.