Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Battery SPace 9.6 volt 3300 mAH Battery packs Help

Reviews Summary for Battery SPace 9.6 volt 3300 mAH Battery packs
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Sub-C battery packs suitable for operating Yaesu FT-817 QRP Rig
More info: http://www.batteryspace.com

You can write your own review of the Battery SPace 9.6 volt 3300 mAH Battery packs.

KB2TQX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 15:47 Send this review to a friend
FT-817 field power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Product Review - 9.6 volt 3300 mAH NiMH Battery Packs (item number CH-123-ULC08)

Earlier this year I purchased a couple of 9.6 volt 3300 mAH NiMH battery packs along with a smart charger (product CH-123-ULC08). BatterySpace shipped promptly after the order was placed, and it arrived well packed and in good shape.

The battery packs I chose were originally constructed for airsoft rifles and/or RC cars, but I wanted to use them for Amateur Radio purposes with a low power transmitter. I like that they use slicon rubber covered wire for the leads into the battery pack, so there are no worries about insulation failure during charging. I also very much like the construction physical of the Powerizer NiMH packs, especially the clear heat shrink that is used as the final encapsulation. I like to see if any of the cells in my pack have sprung a leak, something not very likely the way that BatterySpace takes the time to match the cells that go into the packs. See their web page for details on their manufacturing setup.

The only problem that I had with the overall purchase, was with the charger that came free with the two battery packs. I didn't read the instructions, and went ahead and connected the 110 volts to the charger BEFORE I connected it to the battery. This I found can (and did) blow the battery side fuse, so it appeared that I had a non-working charger. Replacing the fuse AND following the directions - connect to the battery first then plug into the 110 AC - got everything working.

During this last summer I have given the battery packs a pretty good workout with my Yaesu FT-817 radio transmitter/receiver. Typically the battery drain is about 225 mA on receive and about 2 amps on transmit I also found that the battery packs work well with a 5 watt solar panel (meant for 12 volts) applied in parallel during radio operation. Since the solar panel is producing about 250mA to 300 mA typically in full sunlight, I didn't use a charge controller as the drain by the radio left only about 25 to 75 mA going into the battery. I did keep a voltmeter in the circuit to make sure I didn't cook the cells by accident though.

When I go out on an Amateur Radio excursion, I take the two fully charged battery battery packs with me and that is usually sufficient for a whole afternoon's fun on the radio. Typically I am transmitting about 15% of the time and 85% in receive mode, so most of the time the average discharge is at a C/10 rate.

I am very happy with my 9.6 volt 3300 mAH battery packs, and would heartily recommend them to anyone else. It's a nice touch by BatterySpace that you get a free smart charger with the two battery pack purchase.

David Gwillim