Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Nagoya NL-770 R Help

Reviews Summary for Nagoya NL-770 R
Nagoya NL-770 R Reviews: 5 Average rating: 2.4/5 MSRP: $28 euro
Description: Dual band mobile antenna, 144/430 Mhz (European version),Gain 3/5.5 db, 150 watt power maximum.
More info: http://www.funktechnik-grenz.de/artikel/artikel.html

You can write your own review of the Nagoya NL-770 R.

N2GYN Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2012 15:15 Send this review to a friend
It surprised me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It surprised me. Very good SWR, was able to key all my local repeaters and be DFQ. It's very small. I would recommend it for a motorcycle really. Good deal for the money.

ZL2KE Rating: 1/5 May 18, 2012 18:12 Send this review to a friend
FAILED !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Two months ago I wrote a 5/5 review here (see below) with the statement: " If sometime in the future I find otherwise, I will make another post here and explain the problems."

Well, the antenna finally FAILED. It is now useless. Apparently something is loose near the base but the antenna cannot be taken apart for me to fix it. It happened suddenly at the end of a two day trip while motorcycle mobile. It is a shame as I had high hopes for this antenna as it performed brilliantly when it did work, and I managed to coat the antenna to prevent it from rusting (see other comments below about poor quality stainless steel).

I have now ordered a Diamond mobile antenna from Hong Kong that costs about twice as much.

VE2VMC Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2011 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Good desing, poor components  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna in September 2009 because i was low on budget and wanted better performance than my homebrew 1/4 wave on 2 meters and dual band capability.
At first, the price was attractive since i found it on Ebay for +/- 25$.
I also ordered a Nagoya RB-400B that i will review later for a grand total of +/- 45$ shipped to my door.

On the performance side, all i can say is it's performing as well as any other Diamond or Comet antenna of the same desing and lenght ... Below 1.3:1 vswr between 430-450MHz and below 1.2:1 between 144-148MHz.
I definately got some good increase in signal reports and receive compared to my 1/4 wave.

Now the bad ...
This antenna is built with very poor quality steel.
I must say i live near Montreal, Quebec, Canada and we have pretty bad winters some years and that means they spread lots of salt on the road.
during the first winter, the 2 whips started to show some surface rust and i found that the set screws were not made of stainless but zinc plated steel so i replaced them with stainless ones.

The antenna continued to rust untill i found that it was full of rust in the housing that hold the spring loaded hinge.

Speaking about the fold over feature, i never had any problem reported in the previous review with the antenna folding by itself at highway speed so they must have fixed that issue ... i drive more than 500km on highway each week at an average speed of 120km/h and the antenna never folded by itself.

Finally ... the antenna gave up on me in December 2010 when it started to read high SWR.
I found later that the problem was that the upper loading coil had some water that found its way in it and when the temperature dropped below -20C, the coil cracked.

It's not a bad antenna for the price but if you live near an ocean or in a part of the country where they spread salt on the roads, i suggest either you spray the entire antenna with good quality laquer or better, cover it entirely with some Plasti-dip and put some silicone dielectric grease inside the hinge housing to prevent water accumulation there.

I guess the old saying was right: "you get what you pay for".

VK7ZJA Rating: 2/5 Dec 11, 2009 23:48 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna, but not for the highway  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After my normal dual band antenna was broken by a low overhanging tree branch, I sought a new antenna that had a neat appearance and wouldn't break the bank. That Nagoya NL770R looked neat, didn't cost the earth and so I decided to take a chance on it.
Initial impressions was that it was equal to my old 'big-name' brand antenna - great RF performance, and seemingly quite strong. It even had a convenient feature to be able to quickly fold it over to avoid overhead obstructions. I now wish it didn't have that feature.
You see, after about 6 months of exposure to the elements outdoors, a little bit of rust or corrosion has appeared near this sprung-loaded folding joint and weakened its ability to stay upright at highway speeds. Normally to fold over the antenna, you pull vertically up on the antenna to release it from a sleeve in the base, and then a hinge permits the antenna to fold over. My example of this antenna now manages to pull itself up enough and fold over all by itself when travelling at highway speeds!
Like a previous reviewer, I'm considering cleaning up the rust / corrosion, figuring out a way to disable the folding hinge (perhaps by welding it up, perhaps some other method) and then sealing the lot by applying a sealing lacquer.

Now if you don't often travel the highways, and your vehicle is largely sheltered from the rain, then this antenna should work great for you without any modifications. For more 'out there' use, a little extra engineering is required to make this antenna shine.

DA2KW Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2006 01:22 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good antenna for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is only about $35 but performs as well as an antenna at twice the price!
I've had others that cost 3 times as much and it's just as good.
Being here in Germany my U.S. 144/440 Mhz band Diamond or Comet mobile antennas needed to be retuned to the 430 Mhz portion for I.T.U. region 1 repeaters, but then I found this inexpensive alternative to that option.
I've had this antenna on my trunk lip for about 3 years now and with a little maintenance now and then, it's worked perfectly!
And at that price, you can't go wrong!