Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Array Solutions AIM 4170 by W5BIG Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions AIM 4170 by W5BIG
Array Solutions AIM 4170 by W5BIG Reviews: 62 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $520
Description: Antenna analyzer measures the complex impedance (magnitude and phase) at each frequency of interest in the range of 0.1 to 170 MHz. An advanced program running on your PC is used to calculate several parameters, including WR, R+X, Mag, RL, Angle, and plot the results vs Freq or on a Smith Chart.
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/AIM4170.htm

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions AIM 4170 by W5BIG.

K0ZR Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2014 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are few purchases over my 40+ years of amateur radio that have worked so well and been so invaluable to antenna installations and troubleshooting. Although the 4170 is not as portable as the MFJ units, the accuracy, overall functional utility, and ability to plot performance as a hardcopy make it a fantastic tool to have. I have had trouble-free use of mine for over 5 years.

KF7NN Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2014 12:45 Send this review to a friend
simple accurate  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i use it at the shack end but remote into the computer with my tablet when out in the yard fiddling with antennas, this way i see exactly what it sees at the radio. nice unit easy to operate and i can save the graphs with one keypress.

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Unbeatable!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is not much more that I can add to what has already been said about this device. Superbly accurate, easy to use, measures and displays a wealth of information, there's not much more you need. I haven't really found a need to haul it up to the feed point of an antenna, but with an internal battery and a netbook type computer, I can get it on the roof to make adjustments on the various dipoles I have. Now, the 4170 will even interface with some tablet devices!
A couple years ago I had a problem with my 4170 and mentioned it to Bob Clunn (W5BIG) the inventor of this device while at the Dayton Hamvention. He took the unit it with him and a few weeks later it arrived in the mail, fixed, upgraded and ready to go. Great company, great product, great service!

W5DXP Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna analyzer I ever used.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having the ability to measure very high impedances has opened a whole new world of experimentation for me. After having used the MFJ-259B and Autek VA-1, I am extremely impressed with with the AIM 4170 and wish I had acquired one years ago.

VK7JB Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 20:02 Send this review to a friend
I waited too long for this...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spend a lot of time experimenting with wire antennas and I've used a range of handheld antenna analysers during my antenna adventures. But, after having an AIM4170C on my desk for only 1 hour, I was left quite speechless and wondering how it was that I'd waited so long to get one. This analyser has opened up another world for me - now I can see -visually/graphically and in colour- what I could only imagine before. I can study all my antenna parameters drawn out on the screen, see balun parameters painted out in clear lines, take feedline TDR plots and much more. Simply amazing - and the more I play with it, the more I discover what this gem can do. For example, I was able to map the feedpoint characteristics of my multi-band 80m loop (up at 45 feet) while sitting in my shack: doing a custom cal routine to calibrate out the entire feedline was a breeze and the information allowed me to re-design my loop and feedline configuration based on observed fact and not imagination or the mythology of other folks' good ideas. And finally, perhaps the most impressive feature of the AIM4170 is the PC software which comes free with it. It's intuitive to use, faultless in operation and broad in application. The user manual is well written, and the quick start guide is essential reading, but the software is so intuitive, that I seldom need to consult the manual to work out how to get the information I require from the AIM4170. I'd give it a "6", if I could. Thank you W5BIG - your gadget has helped me observe and understand more about antennas, feedlines and baluns than I'd ever thought possible. I don't know how I ever managed in ham radio without it and it didn't cost the earth.
John VK7JB

NZ3Y Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 08:08 Send this review to a friend
If you build antennas, you need one.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I experiment with homebrew wire antennas and wanted an instrument which could give me more than the just the SWR vs. frequency. The AIM 4170 delivers. The analyzer and the convenient software allow you to plot and save SWR, complex impedance, and many other parameters of interest. You can produce Smith Charts as well. You can save the plots for future use. I use mine in the shack, attached directly to the coax antenna feed, which gives me an accurate representation of the load that my transceiver or amplifier is seeing. It is also a great teaching tool, since you can immediately see the effect of changes you make out on the antenna.
This is not an instrument you would want to use out on a tower, but for its intended purpose, it is excellent. Also, the price is very reasonable considering the capabilities.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 01:33 Send this review to a friend
great unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my unit for some time, and it's always worked great. A big concern of mine with any test gear, is it's accuracy. I took home a 50,000$ rig from work to do some side by side comparisons. My AIM was just as accurate and had several of the same features,
it was funny to see how my AIM significantly lower priced, had almost the same features and accuracy .

The unit has always performed well, it's easy to use and has helped me a ton, working on my antennas and coax. It also searved as a great teaching tool.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Super analyzer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Used to use the 259B. What an upgrade. Anyone who likes to experiment with wire antennas really needs this analyzer. Best things for me are being able to look at a graph of swr by frequency and seeing what the antenna efficiency is at a particular frequency. And being able to save these results to a file for comparisons when you make antenna changes. I love it.

W7XV Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2012 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Equipment & Great Company.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The AIM 4170 and ARRAY SOLUTIONS rate a solid 10 in my book. I have had the 4170 for about one year. I bought it before I started rebuilding my station after having been off the air for several years. I have a very small area in my backyard for antennas. Placement and tuning of the antennas was very critical.

The AIM 4170 saved me time and money. It also helped me get the very best performance from my equipment in the space critical environment that I was stuck with.
The AIM 4170 allowed me to see the actual performance of the antenna across the entire band with a single sweep! It displayed numerous measurements of the antennaís performance in an easy to read graph which I could save for future reference. It has been very helpful to see how the performance of my antennas has changed over time and in various weather conditions. I canít imagine running my station without this analyzer. It has become the most frequently used piece of test equipment in my station.

There is another reason I love this company. Several weeks ago I returned a piece of equipment that was not working well with my old desktop. During the return exchange an error in the refund process occurred. I did not notice the error. Recently Array solutions contacted me and notified me that an error had been made. The company then credited back to my credit card the amount that I was due. It was a significant amount of money.
I have never had an experience like this. Have you?

Array solutionís equipment is the best of the best. Their honesty and integrity is outstanding! They have my highest recommendation and my future business.

W7MLS

G3UJE Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 15:25 Send this review to a friend
A very excellent and professional product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this analyzer online from the W5BIG site last Friday (27/1/2012) and was astounded when it arrived in the UK at 11am on the following Monday. Obviously, I am still getting used to all the features of the device but so far I am very impressed with the customer service and the overall quality of the product. Being a keen experimenter with LF antennas, I have very quickly realised that I should have purchased the AIM 4170C a long time ago! It seems to do exactly what it says and is beautifully engineered. I can fully endorse the copious praises made within other reviews on this site and would like to thank the W5BIG team for an extremely professional product.