Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-T22H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-T22H
Icom IC-T22H Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 Meter Hand-held Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-T22H.

KJ6BSO Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one of these used for $50 and have used the heck out of it ever since. I like the size--small enough to fit comfortably in a coat pocket, large enough to suit my presbyopic eyes and largish fingers. Construction seems as durable as most HTs and, unlike many modern transceivers, programming from the keypad is fairly easy.

The receiver is sensitive but not overly prone to overloading.

Despite the IC-T22H being an older radio, there are many accessories available for it; I've had no trouble finding replacement batteries. BTW, it's internal charging circuitry can handle Li-Ion batteries just fine, a nice feature.

The radio does have one known weakness--the nut that secures the antenna BNC connector can work loose, allowing the connector to rotate and break the wire between the center conductor and the RF stage PCB. It's an easy fix, just a few minutes with a soldering iron, but it's something you should look out for. Tightening up the nut that holds the BNC in place, then locking it with a drop of Loctite or similar compound will prevent this from happening.

All and all, a very nice, capable little unit. Keep an eye out at hamfests or on Craig's List as these HTs show up pretty frequently for a very low price.

S56KZN Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2000 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Very nice piece of radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of this radios and both work very well.Very good audio reports from other hams.
Tha antenna is a little too big, but works fine.

KC5JIV Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2000 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great little HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a greta little HT. If you are looking for something that is very portable and reliable, this is it. I put this Ht through some very tough conditions every day. The audio is super, you can turn the volume up all the way and it still will not distort out. Also, this little rig pulls in distant signals that my other ht's wont. The main drawback to this unit is the limited battery life, mine came with a BP-180 battery, I can get about 16 hours of monitor time before having to recharge. It is a little on the pricy side, but I would buy another one today if this one died. Anyone have any questions let me know.

WA4RX Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2000 00:13 Send this review to a friend
My favorite HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own many VHF/UHF HT's and for it's simplicity, size and functions, the IC T22A is the one I always like going back to. The "palm gripping" size is just right, unlike an FT 50RD which I never could get used too (felt like wrapping my hands around a grenade)--the weight is perfect..not too heavy and not too lightweight where you'd be afraid to squeeze on it too hard.
The controls are very ergonomically placed and widely spaced so there's no "finger fumbling". I really like the volume UP/down key controls being separate from the squelch control also.
If you want a simple but advanced 2 meter only HT consider one of these. But, don't buy new as the price is still unreasonable considering that the dual band IC T7A costs less or about the same-Why is this? I'm not sure if this HT is being phased out but, in my opinion, it's a winner.
Buy one used and I think you'll be happy with your decision.