Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | SPE Expert 1K-FA Help

Reviews Summary for SPE Expert 1K-FA
SPE  Expert 1K-FA Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4200 USD
Description: 1 KW Solid State Fully Automatic Linear Amplifier HF and 50Mhz

More info: http://www.expertampsusa.com

You can write your own review of the SPE Expert 1K-FA.

KE4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2010 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp, Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the SPE Expert last week after about a two month wait. I am still running it through its paces, but everything seems to working just fine. So far, I have gotten great reports and have broken the pile ups with the first call.

I had trouble at first hooking it up to my Kenwood TS 480HX. I sent SPE in Italy a note about it, fully expecting to wait a long time for an answer, but my questions were answered within 24 hours. Thanks, Dante.

Looking forward to many years of service from this amp.

Chuck
K4GRP

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Best ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Greetings fellow radio hams.
Just a very brief few comments on my Expert 1K-FA
Collected it from Ron Stone GW3YDX (http://www.vinecom.co.uk) a week ago, I have to say that Ron provides the best service you could ever want, I've had several items from him over the past 5 years, with only a couple of minor problems which were very quickly resolved.
I was amazed at the packing, double boxes, I'd even trust UPS with this.
Very easy to use, I've only had 1 fan come on sofar, in several cw qsos. This amp is a delight to use. I will give an update later when I've spent more time with it
73 Rob G3RCE

DK3HV Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2010 23:11 Send this review to a friend
great support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a used one from a Ham in HB9 some time ago. Due to a personal move I could not use the amplifier in short time after the purchase. Started to use it first time around 6 month later and had several trouble to get it running. After short mail exchange with the factory in Italy I send my amp to Italy. Within 3 weeks I received the amp back and it works since that moment in perfect condition. So, great service here in Europe, great and fast communication to respond to the enduser. Good luck

W4GRJ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 20:20 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING Amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the 1K-FA for about 7 months. It only requires a very small amount of drive, about 10 watts in half power and 18 watts in full power to reach maximum output. The software & CAT for local and remote control are excellent. The multiple protection circuits are second to none. The support from Steppir and direct from Italy has been excellent.

M0EDX Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2010 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Your best buy ever  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using my SPE 1-KFA Expert amplifier for a few months now.

I have purchased my first Expert from Ron, GW3YDX, who was great to assist me with my purchase. In any case, I was a returning customer and previously bought Acom 1000 from Ron, too.

Unfortunately, my first Expert had a factory fault - the mains transformer failed so did the fans. I was told that it was a unique fault.

The amplifier was repaired under warranty by Ron, GW3YDX, and posted back to me within 10 days.

Unfortunately, the fault developed further and after some negotiations Ron, GW3YDX sent me a brand new Expert amplifier. Great service and I was not let down as a customer.

Thanks to Ron, GW3YDX. Buy with confidence from him (http://www.vinecom.co.uk, Vine Antenna).

Now from the practical point of view.

I have had Ameritrons, LinAmps, Acoms, Icoms. Now the SPE 1-KFA Expert.

The closest match was ICOM IC-1PW.

The Expert beats them all.

The size of the Expert is even smaller than the IC-746. It operates flawlessly, takes very little space.

The output is consistent on all the bands. Mine actually does some 15% more power then advertised. Using a dummy load the meter shows some 1200 W on some bands, including 10 m.

The amplifier will require setting up, that is, you need to "teach" the tuner about the frequencies in segments. Some 10 minutes job. Note, though, if the antenna's SWR changes, the tuner will not follow the change, so you will have to return your amplifier just for that part of the band (5 seconds job).

The amplifier may get warm and will reduce the power to half power if it gets very hot. Same as any other amplifier, I guess.

Ron, GW3YDX has provided me with an Icom lead so I could automatically operate my HRD software. The amplifier will also sense the frequency if you just transmit a dot or say a word.

Great thing if you use different transceiver.

I am quite happy about the amplifier. Are there any better amplifiers ? No to my knowledge. Would I buy again ? Yes.

73 !

Anton, M0EDX

www.m0edx.com

KL7AC Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2010 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not had a lot of amps in the past as my experience with them has always left a lot to be desired, the Expert has changed that.

My very old FL-7000 was wonky at best (gave it to N4ATS), and my old Henry 2KD Classic, while a fine amp, was just too loud to bear.

I ordered the Expert from the folks at SteppIR, and after a long wait of two months received the amp.

As others have described you do need to spend a few minutes programming the tuner but once done you are ready to go. On the air the amp is quiet, powerful and so easy to operate. Have had a great time generating some pileups to EU in the evening.

I hope to have this amp a very long time.

K7FED Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2010 16:21 Send this review to a friend
2 years later...  Time owned: more than 12 months
So I am back for installment 3 of my review of this amplifier. It is pretty much a restatement of what I said in my last review.
After 2 years now of normal use I have not had any issue with this amplifier that I cannot attribute to user error or other things that would cause the amp to protect itself. I still say this amplifier was worth the investment. If you want a small, light, dependable, solid state 1000 watt 160m-6m amplifier with built in tuner, multi input and outputs, and SO2R this is the one to invest in.

IK8TEO Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2010 13:29 Send this review to a friend
The HEART of the SHACK  Time owned: more than 12 months
We are coming back from Kenya - 5Z0H DX-Pedition www.ddxc.it - where tke SPE Expert 1K-FA was the PRINCIPAL HERO.
We transformed our 100W RIG into a 1KW transceiver: ON & OFF pushing power switch of RTX, immediate selection of antenna and tuner position, CW-QSK and and nothing fold during bump of line voltage or abrupt black-out. With SPE Expert 1K-FA we could do fast-small QSY during pile up for monitoring other bands, without noticing.
Excellent with an average WX temperature about 40 degrees centigrades in RTTY mode.
Very small, could camouflaged like a cabin luggage with its beautiful bag padded with handles.
Needful if you want to try on lower bands.
Our sigs were loud and clear all over the Word with a windom (10-80) and and triband verticals (40/80/160 & WARC).
We give IT a full 5+++, dreaming the 2KW version that have the same weight and dimensions.
Many thanks to Gianfranco I0ZY, the dad of the Expert linear amplifiers.

NO SPE EXPERT linear amplifier? NO DX-Pedition!!!

73 de 5Z/IK8TEO, 5Z0H Team.

IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Always Great After 3 Year!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hallo.
After 3 Year Amplifier works always well.
I buy this Amplifier in December 2006 directly to SPE and I0ZY Gianfranco Scasciafratti explain me all Info about the Amplifier.
After different year WITHOUT Problem for me the SPE Expert 1K-FA is the state of the art of Solid State Amplifier.
I use also in Contest 50Mhz in portable with a 2,5Kw Generator+Current Stabilizer and always works very well.

IW0HEX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 10:27 Send this review to a friend
great !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the 1K-FA for about 4 months. I have bought it used because of the very favorable price but I don't hide that I was a sceptic around his performances.

I am me due ricredite. The amplifier is great; a true jewel of technology. From the whole power according to the specifications (more than 1000 watts to full-power, more than 500 watts half-power). With the CAT it is completely commanded through the radio (I have an Icom 7700).

The great facility of use makes it a complete product; it has all the alarms of temperature and high-ros. It's impossible to make errors.

Certainly, the price is not really friendly to have more than 1KW but the use, the facility of use, the technology (4 input ant switched) they make it an unique and complete product.

73s de IW0HEX Pasquale