Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Yaesu FT-817ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817ND
Yaesu FT-817ND Reviews: 185 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $589.00
Description: The world’s first self-contained, battery-powered, Multi-mode Portable Transceiver covering the HF, VHF, and UHF bands! Despite its incredibly small size (5.3" x 1.5" x 6.5"), the FT-817 delivers big performance! Its next-generagion PA puts out five watts on all HF bands, plus the 50 MHz, 144 MHz, and 430 MHz bands, on all popular operating modes: USB/LSB/CW/AM/FM/Packet/PSK-31/RTTY. Now the 817 legacy is even better with the introduction of the FT-817ND, which includes coverage of the U.S. 60-meter (5 MHz) band, and it also includes a 1400 mAh NiMH Battery pack (FNB-85) and NC-72B Charger!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817ND.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck PERIOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is a bargain considering all that it does. Being able to run it on internal alkaline or rechargeable AA cells is such a great feature. HF, VHF, UHF all in one nice small package. I own an Icom 703 as well. I prefer the FT 817. Easier on batteries and smaller too. There are many aftermarket upgrades for the FT 817, ranging from IF mech filters to mic compression amps, etc. The stock FT 817 does just fine for SSB. If you are a hardcore CW ham, it could benefit from sharper selectivity. I skydive with my FT 817. 14,500 foot antenna elevation for only $23 per jump. https://parachutemobile.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/all-marks-gear.jpg

2E0VOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 05:37 Send this review to a friend
brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine about 18 months ago and I've never looked back. Its an absolute bargain here in the UK £440 making it in a league of its own.
If you want to be picky, the standard mic is ok but can be improved on cheaply with an Electret insert. But on reflection if you bought a KX3 you wouldnt even get a mic , so thumbs up to Yaesu...
I have worked the world on my Ft817 and my best so far is 18780 miles longpath to JA with just 5w SSB
If you are thinking of buying the FT817, just do it!..
Search YouTube for my Callsign to see what DX this radio delivers with just a wire antenna. 73's Mark

K2GK Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Love it, Love it, Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have never owned or operated a Yaesu FT-857 or FT-897 this may not resonate with you but this radio my friends is a BIG DESKTOP radio in a small box. It has great reception, great talk and clarity in your broadcast audio, plenty of audio output that you will never have to turn it full open to make it louder.
This is so light and manageable. I take along an external alarm type battery if I plan to do hours of playing other wise the charged internal will last an hour or so.
The nice part is when you travel whether cruising the high seas, Hotels, Cabins, City parks or Grandma's house it will fit in your laptop bag and with a couple of accessories you are on the air enjoying your hobby away from home.
You can't go wrong with this choice. After you savor the beauty of this radio, you can always add another thousand or so and buy a KX3. For now be thrifty, be happy. 73

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cool little radio! QC seems very good. Replaced supplied hand mic with MH67 and seems to drive the radio better, but mic gain on ssb at 90-100%. IF shift works very well. Menu and options are easy enough to navigate.Some meter reading are a tad vague (SWR and ALC ). Made 1st 40m QRP QSO, reports were good. Audio with MH67 & mic gain cranked up, reported as strong punch. Strong stations within 2khz of operating freq. will make receiving difficult, optional ssb filter should help with that. Buttons are small and no stand to prop up radio are the downsides I see. So far so good ! Enjoying my 817ND ! 73 K1WJ

KB9ZTF Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2015 18:57 Send this review to a friend
the it works every thing rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
had the ft817 non nd and now have the new ft817nd dose every thing I want I can take it any where and work all modes all the bads and with the little laptop and the signal link it will work all the digital modes and the receive is great for this little rig Its not a ft300 or for that matter a ft1200 but with the rig stock it has good receive and with the op filters is very good this is the rig I take with me to the hotels and away from home places with the laptop and rig its like a shack in a bag and when I get bored I like to run this rig a home and do some qrping and for what it dose and all the bands you cant beat this rig for the price

GM3HNN Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 22:55 Send this review to a friend
You do get 5watts out!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a quick 1 month owned review, you can actually get 5w out using the supplied battery pack it comes with, yes, battery life is only a couple of hours when using 5w, but many think you need external 13.8v or upgraded Ni Cad pack to get to 5w, not true, just adjust as per manual and it's there!

Great radio, I use it only portable with base loaded 20m/40m telescopic antennas, SSB, on first day test from Brighton beach, I hit Norway, Spain, Slovakia & Ukraine, all were impressed with the signal, and the audio on Tx/Rx is just superb, it's a wonderful all in one radio,

Now to try my CW on it!

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2015 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Everything you need!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for 10 years, got it when I lived in an apartment. First time out took it to the local park with a simple vertical antenna and had 2 long winded stateside contacts, then worked Greece running 2.5 W.

Moved into my present home 8 years ago. This was my daily driver for about a year, hooked to a simple 33' wire. Made a lot of Q's and was able to get back into the hobby. Connected now to my Gap it just sings. If you understand QRP you'll know that 5 W is more than enough power.

I have a number of other QRP rigs but this is one that will NEVER leave the shack. I have the aftermarket internal battery and it's adequate for a back up station. I use it, connected to a dummy load, for calibrating the kit's I've built checking frequency and offset. My very first 6 meter QSO ever was made connected to an indoor slinky dipole, SSB into Maine.

It's nice to have a "do everything" radio handy. Did Yaesu make compromises here? Of course but then it's small enough to actually fit into my parka pocket and runs DC to daylight. It always gets the job done.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio EVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK update on how I stand with this radio. I did sell it since my last review, went through a bunch more radios (some high end / expensive), and I have come straight back to the FT-817ND.

Overall, its the best radio ever produced. Think about it. It must be the most sold ham transceiver in history and there are tons of reviews on eHam and other sources that overall are excellent. Its a joy reading the eHam reviews – reading just how many people (like me) have an FT-817 as their only base rig and / or have sold a high end radio and are happier with the “lowly” FT-817 / FT-817ND.

The radio hasn't the receiver of the FTDX-5000 or the K3 but you can’t fit those in your pocket. It hasn't got the ergonomics of an FT-2000 or an IC-756 Pro III but you couldn’t get one new for under £500. It hasn't got a 400w PA like the FTDX-9000MP but with 5 watts and the same antenna, you would only be down several s-points and don’t need to worry about the electricity bill or causing interference.

This radio DOES work well as a shack radio - I am proof (see my QRZ profile / YouTube videos / Blog). It also works well in mobile and portable environments.

Using a TXCO, mechanical filter for your mode choice, headphones and / or external speaker, some bracket for raising the front of the rig up on the desk, a decent Mic, proper use of the carrier offset / IPO / ATT / RF gain, you have some cheap (and free) solutions to making this good radio, great.

As someone who has spent tens of thousands on rigs and sold them - the FT-817 puts the biggest smile on your face and is the ONLY radio you will ever need.

I have 2 - one for base and one for portable / spare.

Mike
M0SAZ

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2015 19:35 Send this review to a friend
My list of requirements was long  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My goal in getting the 817 was to have a packable radio. I wanted a rig that would work after I put in all of the effort needed to activate a summit for SOTA. I wanted a rig that could be paired with the 1.8 pound Magnetic Alpha Loop Antenna that could also be mounted directly on my Trekking pole. I wanted a rig that could operate off my Solar Battery. That's a lot to demand, and the 817 filled every aspect of that order. I am so glad I bought an 817!

AD5KO Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2015 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two Ft-817s, the last one being the ND. Both with after market filters.

I think for an HF/VHF/UHF portable it's very good. I made many contacts on both VHF and HF and was often told how good the audio was. Some finding it hard to believe it was a QRP rig, I think that helped a number of people understand what QRP could really do, me included.

Battery life really sucks, there is no public service band reception, no NOAA etc, it's not water proof or even shower proof. But a simple portable can do that and as a purely all band all mode ham portable it is excellent.

The only thing it really needs is a viable battery life and I am told that there are after market battery packs which can do this. With current battery technology Yaesu could have done this. In the past I have used a solar panel to charge the battery pack for brief periods of TX or all day monitoring, I have also used a mobile power supply.

Most of all, I can never really figure out why I sold it. With this type of radio the smart move is to keep it, even if you don't use it often. It's a niche radio, it's a compromise and still the only and best all band, all mode portable on the market.

I wrote this review because I am thinking of buying a third, I was thinking of how much I miss the 817 and how much fun it was.