Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Yaesu FT-817ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817ND
Yaesu FT-817ND Reviews: 63 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $589.00
Description: The world’s first self-contained, battery-powered, Multi-mode Portable Transceiver covering the HF, VHF, and UHF bands! Despite its incredibly small size (5.3" x 1.5" x 6.5"), the FT-817 delivers big performance! Its next-generagion PA puts out five watts on all HF bands, plus the 50 MHz, 144 MHz, and 430 MHz bands, on all popular operating modes: USB/LSB/CW/AM/FM/Packet/PSK-31/RTTY. Now the 817 legacy is even better with the introduction of the FT-817ND, which includes coverage of the U.S. 60-meter (5 MHz) band, and it also includes a 1400 mAh NiMH Battery pack (FNB-85) and NC-72B Charger!

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817ND.

SV1JRF Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent qrp transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will never sell it. I think that says it all.

N8HM Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great, versatile rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great rig! I've made over 1,000 QSOs in 106 DXCCs with the FT-817 and an AlexLoop antenna. Now I have two FT-817s and use them as a full-duplex all-mode satellite station (see my QRZ profile).
KC2UGV Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2014 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice compact QRP rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig is a very capable wide-band receiver, and a very good qrp transmitter.

While it is a "menu" rig, if you've ever owned a Yaesu product before, you'll get what their little acronyms for things are, and you'll quickly find your way though the one-deep menu (Yes, it's only one option deep).

The oddest UI thing is the ABC buttons, and they take a bit of getting used to.

A couple of faults: There's no kickstand for the radio. Sheesh Yaesu, you didn't really think people would use this while strapped to their shoulder, did you? Come on...

Next thing: The included ducky antenna is straight out in front. Great if you are carrying it with the strap, not so much for 90% of the time you'll be using it. Buy a right-angle BNC adapter.

And lastly, the charging method. You have to put it in "charge mode" to charge it. This is right out silly. Nothing else in the world works like that. If it's on ext power, charge the batter pack, if there's power to do so. Shut it off when the pack is charged. Easy peasy.

Those three items knocked it from a 5 to a 4. Operationally, it's a fantastic rig for the money.
KF7ZQM Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ft-817ND is a great rig. I've made lots of CW, FSK31, and SSB contacts all around the country, and a few other countries, with good reports. I use a LDG Z-817 Tuner, an OCF dipole antenna with a 4:1 QRP balun from Balun Designs, a Tigertronics SignaLink USB, an old Dell laptop computer, a small 20W solar panel, and a salvaged deep cycle battery to complete my station. While the whole set up cost some money, it didn't break the bank. It is also portable. The only complaint I have about this great radio is that it is a little too small. I have big fingers!
K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
7 years later.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, its been 7 years since I bought my first FT-817. These rigs have been everywhere with me over the years and and have been used in almost every conceivable configuration from base station to mobile to backpack/picnic table portable and even bicycle & pedestrian mobile.

To date, there are still no other portable radios on the market which compete with the FT-817nd in terms of versatility. I considered the Elecraft KX-3 for my uses as well but ended up staying with the FT-817nd because of its 2m, 70cm, airband, and FM broadcast capabilities. I do use all of these bands and modes. For example, I'm somewhat active on 2m SSB & CW with an 11-ele. beam antenna. Couldn't get there with a KX-3.

Some folks say that the 5-watt transmitter output is a serious limitation. I personally haven't found it to be a problem and am usually able to contact the stations which I try for. In base radio configuration I use an external 100w HF amplifier and it works well.

I installed the Windcamp LiPo battery in my FT-817nd several months ago and it works great and lasts for a long time between charges.

All in all, I just don't think that as of yet you will find a more adaptable & versatile radio.

MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig Yaesu, Don't Change a Thing!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great rig! Yaesu, please don't change a thing about this radio!
KC9WQR Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Durable Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have both the FT-817 and the FT-817nd and to tell you the truth I LOVE them both!!! I currently use the non nd version as my base station and the nd version for portable stuff. If it weren't for the non nd version being so good then I probably wouldn't have the nd. I have used them both portable and can only tell you that this is the way to go for a camp site radio. throw a wire into the trees or on an extendable pole and your in business. Great Bug out bag radio too. multiple power source options,
MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine about 6 weeks now and have made contacts into the Eastern U.S. on just 5W SSB on both 40m and 20m. This was using a simple homemade wire inverted-V fan dipole up about 23 feet on a fibreglass fishing pole.

I've also had inter-G contacts on 500mW too!
KW6JIM Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent QRP rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio about 6 months ago. I have it installed as part of a go-pack with an external battery and a solar charging system.

I had it set up today with my Buddipole in a vertical figuration on 15 and 20 meters. I am in the north end of California and had 5 quick QSOs. Two in Utah, one in Kansas, and two in Texas - the longest being about 1650 miles at 5 watts. I plan on doing SOTA activations with it this coming summer.

It's an excellent little rig. I highly recommend it. But, I also recommend doing yourself a favor in buying or building a quality QRP antenna. Again, I highly recommend the Buddipole system.
N9APD Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2012 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Solid value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my '817 new about 4 years ago, my first HF radio purchase. I knew the next three years would require frequent moves into apartments and HOA restricted locations as my USAF wife moved us from assignment to assignment. My favorite mode quickly became PSK, and when paired with the Signalink USB this rig is a great performer. I had always planned to add a QRO rig when we finished our military whirlwind and I have done that. The '817 now lives in a tool case I picked up at Harbor Freight for $25. Fits my rig, Signalink, and an MFJ Antenna tuner. Now it comes with my on business trips, making QSOs with random wires fed out of hotel room windows. I can't imagine parting with this radio. I'd give up the Icom 746 first, if I needed the money and had to sell a radio.