Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | HALLICRAFTERS SX130 Help

Reviews Summary for HALLICRAFTERS SX130
HALLICRAFTERS  SX130 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: 7 tube general coverage receiver

You can write your own review of the HALLICRAFTERS SX130.

N4NBR Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2011 15:18 Send this review to a friend
A hidden treasure.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my SX-130 from an ebay vendor. He stated it was in decent condition, but made no sound. I suspected he was thinking it would have an internal speaker, so I bought it on the cheap. When it arrived, I gave it a bath, and then hooked up a small Radio Shack mini bookshelf speaker to see what I had bought. He was right, not a sound. I continued to clean the chrome and the knobs, looks like it had been in a smoking environment. I put it away, and today I pulled it out and retubed it. I connected a simple antenna and put the dial selector on the A or 1st band, the broadcast band. I began to hear faint music so I physically picked up the radio and just my moving it brought in the station pretty well. I went about tightening screws, and checking grounds, and finally, it was cooking. I was able to hear shortwave stations at dusk with a 30 foot piece of copper wire (indoors)as well as my BC-348 receiver pulls them in, everything but the 80 meter ham band was alive and well. I am more than pleased with its performance and its price.

MSTAMPER Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2008 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Solidly built and easy to restore  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have two of these - both picked up for a song as "non-working" at tag sales. They were of course working (if you attach a speaker!). Restoration consisted of recapping (electrolytics only), retubing as necessary, and realignment. The use of ceramic caps throughout makes restoration a breeze. Operating voltages are lower than 1950s era Hallicrafters, which used larger metal tubes. Resistors were appropriately selected and few were out of spec. Some of the antenna/oscillator/mixer coils required internal resoldering before an alignment could be performed. After alignment, the SX-130 performed well. Great tube sound. These are of course not comparable to modern receivers, but are more than adequate for casual short and medium wave listening.

KA8DLL Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2006 09:18 Send this review to a friend
a Good general coverage receiver from the 60's  Time owned: more than 12 months
A remake of the SX110 using more modern tubes,and no paper capacitors. This radio became the SX133 in later years. Fairly good selectivity using crystal phasing control. Large and heavy case for a 7tube radio. Very attractive front with lots of brushed aluminum. Continued with the string drive with the tuning capacitors-pretty positive feel. Alot of value for a $179.00 radio. A classic remake of a WW2 single conversion receiver using 60's parts