Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-530S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-530S
Kenwood TS-530S Reviews: 50 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $800
Description: 10-160 Band HF Trancvr
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-530S.

WB0OKA Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Still top notch!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my mind, this rig still has it all. If one could still count on distributors building large quantities of quality tubes, I still think this design of rig- the hybrid- would be the way to go. It has it all. It it capable of operating on the WARC bands, along with the other bands 160-10 and puts out a solid 100 watts with a good pair of 6146's.

I own 3 of them- all rescued from ebay- all with needed repairs. One had a smoked transformer, but once a replacement was located, it was not all that difficult to swap it out. Overall, they are still very easy to service and maintain. The digital readout, one of the many improvements over the 520 (which I still consider to be an outstanding rig), makes it more enjoyable to use. The RIT/XIT feature and the IF shift are also strong improvements.

I realize they are in the "vintage" category, but no doubt there are those new or upgraded hams out there considering purchasing their first HF rig, and need to know, this radio is still a good choice.

The only deficiency I have noticed, and it's characteristic of all 3 of the 530's I have, and that is the performance of the band switch. Occasionally it needs to be jiggled to get it to lock into the band you wish to use.

F6FLH Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 04:06 Send this review to a friend
SUPER TRX KENWOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
J'ai acheté ce TRX il y a plus d'un an et je suis heureux de cet acquisition.La réception est superbe et claire et le réglage est simple avec un peu d'habitude. Il sort tranquillement 110 watts HF sur toutes les bandes. Je l'ai équipé des filtres de réception 1.8 Khz et 500 Hz qui sont des plus dans les piles-up. Le VFO externe du TS 120/130 fonctionne avec pour les DX en Split. Conclusion je suis très satisfait de ce modèle hybride pour mon trafic quotidien : la note est 4.9/5 car la prise du manip présente une tension négative de -65V et oblige à avoir un manipulateur électronique avec une sortie négative ou un relais pour être compatible.C'est le seul "défaut" trouver à cet excellent tranceiver Vintage.

EI5JS Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2014 17:17 Send this review to a friend
10 years after  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this rig shortly after I got it first in feb 2004 (as G0WPA). Now, 10 years and many enjoyable contacts later and it's still going strong.

I have worked all over the world with it on SSB, CW, PSK, RTTY, SSTV and even JT65-HF. There's very little that it can't do.

I changed the bottles once and affected a few repairs on it, but nothing too taxing. It's still pumping out 100+ watts across the bands and pulling in the DX like a champ and it still looks and feels every bit the quality rig that it did back then.

It's solid and reliable and a joy to use and it's a beautiful looking radio too. One of the best rigs Kenwood ever produced..

IK5PWL Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2013 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Great old rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a voracious collector of old valve radio, I possess, Collins, Drake, Hallicrafters, but I also like to collect even more modern hybrid radio, a few days ago I read an advert in a local forum for a sale of 530s to be repaired , intrigued I purchased it and after repair the final stage i discovered a great receiver and a machine easy to use, audio playback is exceptional.
These transceivers are not great valued but work great.

VE7AZC Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2013 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but goodie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a LOT of radios from all the brands. Now I have two, the 530 and a new Yaesu 950. My TS-530 is virtually mint ... as usual I've had to do a few repairs. But I must be honest ... even though the 530 receiver is a little noisier than my Yaesu FT 950, in a side by side test comparison the Kenwood receiver sounds a LOT crisper, and the signals jump out of the noise quite a lot better. The Yaesu receiver just sounds a little muddy and poorly defined in comparison.

CW receive on the Kenwood is also just great with no ringing. the Kenwood does not have a monitor function, so you can't listen to your own audio, but using a Shure SM57 right into it, others have said that it sounds great ... and unlike the Yaesu the Kenwood is RF bullet proof.

If anyone did a blind folded side by side comparison, I'm sure they 100% would choose the TS 530 over the Yaesu 950 ... no question.

If you can find a good 530 or even better an 830, you really ought to get it ... do yourself a favor.

I like new gear, and of course the old Kenwood does not have a lot of the new features,but in this case the oldie is really the goodie.

Cheers,

Herb
VE7AZC

W3CRR Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2013 11:17 Send this review to a friend
My first Japanese radio and what a find it is!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I'm not exactly embarrassed to admit this, my forthcoming confession may tag me as "eccentric" at best. I have been licensed for 43 years. While there have been lapses in my ham activity over the decades, I have at least followed the hobby with interest most of the time. However, until about a month ago, I had never owned an HF radio made anywhere but in the U.S.

This seemingly xenophobic history is not indicative of innate prejudices or jingoism but reflects the fact that I grew up building Heathkits (later working for the Heath Company), admiring Drakes and Swans (hey! I never noticed the parallel -- each compatible with a Bird wattmeter, yet), and envying owners of Collins and Signal One gear. After the demise of my employer (Heath), I turned to Ten Tec for solace and great performance. I acquired a Collins KWM-2, an S-Line and an A-Line to satisfy boyhood dreams. A Drake TR-4CW and TR-7 sat on my operating table for a spell. Some domestic rarities wandered into the shack, too -- like my Patcomm PC-500 and PC-16000A.

But, as circumstances and fiscal fate had it, the shack was nearly bare a few weeks ago when i discovered a very nice TS-530S for sale at a not unreasonable price. Oh, I had read glowing reports about my first Japanese radio and how it was "a terrific rig -- in its day", etc., etc. But, i was totally unprepared for the quality of its construction, the ease of its operation and, most encouragingly, the sheer excellence of its performance. Frankly, I have never heard a better receiver and the oft-repeated, wholly unsolicited congratulations on my "beautiful audio" on transmission is equally buoying.

Owning this superb transceiver has been a bit of an epiphany. It's also been addictive. I have now acquired a second TS-530S, just to experience the joy of completely re-capping and restoring it, and a TS-830S to boot! My new devotion to vintage Kenwood is as rabid as a convert's can be.

So, I'll join the chorus. If you find a nice 530 -- or 830 -- buy it! But, you can't have mine!

W7ARX Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Even Today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Most have pretty much covered every aspect in their reviews. No frills, all bands and easy barefoot power. Great sounding receive audio and great transmit audio. Back when Kenwood made great radios. The 520SE is equally great, followed by the 530, a bit better and than the 830, still a bench mark. A fun radio to use and even better to listen to on a cold Winter night in the "shack".

KD6AXR Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2012 23:50 Send this review to a friend
I love mine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is good radio for a new ham or for someone who wants a no frills radio. ALSO do not forget to check to see if the WARC bands enabled,if not it is easy to do. All you need to do is cut ONE wire. If you can find a VFO-230 get one also they work together very well.

KD2AJN Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2012 08:03 Send this review to a friend
An Amazing Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am reviewing this radio for a second time because my previous review was written when I new very little about radio, and I made the false claim of 220 watts out.(I don't know what kind of crazy watt meter told me that). This radio was my first HF, and I am glad that I didn't go solid state. The process of tuning the finals has really helped me learn a lot about how radios work. My ts-530 is over 30 years old and every part of it works exactly as it should. If you want to buy a radio, you will have more fun with this than any fancy new Yaesu. I will keep the ts-530 for as long as it lives(I might be stuck with it for a while).

VK4VDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Here to stay !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did buy my TS-530S of e-bay with a MC-50 Desk Mike. When it arrived, the case had 3 screws missing, the meter light didn't work, it would not let me tune it up anywhere. Was it Australia Post !!!!
First thing I did is fixed the meter light and than spent hours doing some research about the TS-530S and all the little problems people could have with it, not tuning up, drifting, I did have all that and more, yeap, it would even key up by itself.
But it is all good now, I cleaned the Bandswitch, Mode switch and Processor switch again and again.
It's receive is outstanding, the reports on the audio with the MC-50 are very good also, touch wood and the drifting has settled down as well. Thanks to all the information out there, I could bring her back to live, cheee wizzz didn't she play up. She must be female !!! She has got a permanent spot in my Shack.