Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-530S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-530S
Kenwood TS-530S Reviews: 50 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $800
Description: 10-160 Band HF Trancvr
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-530S.

KC8IMB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 19:07 Send this review to a friend
You won’t be seeing it for sale.   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've really enjoyed reading thru the comments (er, reviews) for the 530S. What a radio! So here's how I came to care for mine.

My great uncle was always into radios. He never got his ham ticket but very much enjoyed working on rigs. Mostly he dealt with REAL vintage BCB receivers (circa 1920-30’s) or older SW sets (Hammarlund, Grundig, etc.). I always enjoyed going over to his house because the smell of tubes and solder usually wofted thru the air. His garage was a mini radio museum!

Unfortunately, Uncle John passed away and I was asked to help clean the house out. A very sad time indeed. While sifting thru some items in the den, someone called me to the middle bedroom closet. As I approached, there it was. Sitting underneath boxes of winter clothes and tubes was a Kenwood TS-530S with matching AT-230 Tuner. What? Uncle John never showed me this one. The thing was COATED (slathered might be a better term) with nicotine. John was never too much of a smoker, so I assume this was part of a trade he made.

I took her home and gave it a bath. It required a little elbow grease but the rig cleaned up exceptionally well. When I opened it up the internal electronics were spotless. Whoever the smoker that had it previously was must not have ever run it, as the fan would have drawn in the brown stuff. Everything looked like it was present and accounted for. Ah, 6146s. No sweep tubes in this final! OK, cover back on and time to apply power.

I was speechless. It worked PERFECTLY! Over 100 watts out on all bands, receiver nice’n sensitive, frequency dead-on; things just don’t happen like this. Usually there is smoke or a few segments out on a display or... nothing. Not this time, one hundred percent operational.

It’s so much fun to use. This is a real, “hands-on” radio! As has been brought out in other posts, this rig really seems to be one of the best during that transition between Hollow-State and All-Digital, combining the best of both worlds (as present at that time).

I really recommend the website of Ken, K4EAA (www.K4EAA.com). Although I’ve never had to use his repair service, he has a good reputation. He also has the “Kenwood hard-to-find Shopping Cart” for those odds-and-ends needed to get your hybrid back up and running. Another recommendation for all Kenwood Hybrid users is the NET. It’s held on Saturdays, 7235 kHz at 3:30 Eastern, then Sunday on 14.316 at 1800z. There’s a lot of folks that can answer your technical questions.

In all, I have nothing but good things to say. If you ever have the chance to get one, don’t give it a second thought. JUST DO IT! I’ll always be grateful for the one I have. You won’t be seeing it for sale.

Thanks Uncle John!

W8KX Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Homecoming  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The TS-530 is a great vehicle for getting on the bands without a lot of the distractions and complexities inherent in the newer radios. The complete state of the radio is right in front of you.
Basic radio performance, reliability, ease of service, ease of use are all great. Audio signal quality both on transmit and receive is outstanding.
All the flexibility and performance you really need without complexity.
It's truly a joy and feels like coming home...
W8KX

KE5RVY Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2011 11:59 Send this review to a friend
FIne piece of equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just getting into ham radio about 3 years ago, I started with a 2 meter kenwood. License upgrade led me to wanting HF stuff. As it turns out, my late uncle (SK) had this 530S in his garage in a box; had been there at least five years!...I had it checked out and some parts replaced, but it is now good as new and I would not trade it for any price. I did add an MFJ tuner feeding a G5RV antenna with 75 feet of LMR400. OUTSTANDING!

G4OTU Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2010 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice to return to a n hybrid rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having recently returned to radio after a 20 year absence I started out with a Sommerkamp FT767 - but found it less than satisfactory particularly for CW.However A TS530S became available locally and today I purchased it.
Having spent that last few hours playing with it - what can I say?

What a pleasure to go back to a rig with knobs you can get hold of, with a receiver that really allows you to whittle down through the noise and with those forgiving valves(ok -tubes for you colonial types).

In my earlier incarnation I was a FL101ZD user - at first experience this is every bit as good .

KC2ULJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2010 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent,Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Please dont make the same mistake I did. the ts-530s was my first rig and after a few months of reading ads in qst I talked myself into believing that I "needed" a new rig. I sold the 530 and in the past two years I have had over 20 radios in and out of the shack. Some good and some not. I found a ts-530s in immaculate shape it is now my primary ssb rig. For all the new hams out there the hybrids are fantastic radios and to be honest they are all most people would ever need, Spend alot of time on your ANTENNA. Enjoy and experiment. 73 w2waw

AE5QV Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2010 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one as an e-bay special the middle of april 2010. When it got here, the rx worked great, but the tx had very low out, and wouldn't tune. Opened her up and found that the plate cap on one of the 6146's had broken loose and fallen off. Ordered new finals and driver, got them in, installed, neutralized, and have been pounding the heck out of this little radio everyday on PSK-31. Since the middle of May, I have 29 states and 9 countries using a 6btv vertical with this little radio. For an old hybrid, it works great, and for some of us not quite fully computer literate old timers, it's still nice to dip and load. Kenwood made a nice radio in this one. Actually I like it better than my kenwood 930sat, but thats another review one day.

W1LDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2010 15:38 Send this review to a friend
A Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have sat in front of many high end radios and enjoyed all the bells and whistles.In the end I bought a very nice TS-530S.This is a very enjoyable radio to use and work on.Yes anyone could work on this radio.This is something missing from new radios.No menu's just knobs.Buy one you will not regret it!

W1LDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2010 15:34 Send this review to a friend
A Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

N0EVH Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2010 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Solid & Fun rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You might have grown up like me on ham radio spanning the transition years from tubes to transistors to computers. My what a ride it has been. My shack is now fully functional with all types of modern gear. But, no radios with tubes and high voltages. I wanted to change that without spending big bucks.

My requirements were simple: a transceiver, at least with tube finals, digital freq readout and WARC bands. My logic was that if I did not enjoy it I could loan it to new hams to get them into the joy of HF, but not have too many bucks invested in the experience.

The 530 sugar is an amazing bargain. Sporting decent receiver specs, 100 watts, digital VFO, WARC bands, IF shift, CW and SSB filters, metering and even VOX, you are all set. For a few hundred dollars you can enjoy an older transceiver without giving up much.

A gud friend located my 530 sugar and gave it a complete cleaning and tuneup. Guess I owe him big time! Don't look for a button labeled notch, ATU or DSP. But, you will have a good time for sure!

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2009 21:24 Send this review to a friend
wonderful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my TS-530SP from a ham from Michigan with a MC 50 desk mike all for $325.00. The rig has a bit of wear here and there but works FLAWLESS! It will load well over 100 watts on 40 and 80 meters, but those are the only bands i can get on now, as i dont have an antenna for the other bands. The TX audio is wonderful, and the receiver is sharp and very pleasant to listen to. I used to have a TS 830S, and like an IDIOT sold it. So i had a hankering for another Kenwood hybrid rig, and i didnt have the $$ to get another 830, so i thought id try a 530! I am glad i got it!! What a nice rig!