Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Plus 3b Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Plus 3b
Turner Plus 3b Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $52.00
Description: desk microphone
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Turner Plus 3b.

NU0C Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Not CB mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
These mics are sleepers, if you find one at a garage sale or 'fest cheap, buy it! The Turner +3 series is the same cartridge and body as the sought-after Drake 7075, but with a compression amplifier added. Yes, it has actual compression, I have the factory prints to prove it! I would love to have been in the room to see someone tell Bob Drake he had a CB mic.

As a general rule I discourage the use of pre-amped mics with ham rigs unless the rig is designed to require one. They cause more problems than they solve. If you have a rig that has no speech processing or compression built-in, this is a good solution. Or you can disconnect the amplifier and drive a high impedance mic input with the "bare" mic and you will essentially have a Drake 7075.

As with any active mic you need to be very careful not to over drive your radio. Use good mic-ing techniques and speak across the mic at a distance of no more than about 2 inches. Watch your peaks and keep the level to the minimum necessary. Resist the temptation to lean back in your easy chair and talk at arm's length from the mic,that's just bad mojo.

I compared this mic against a host of others on my Drake TR-7; Shure 444, Turner 254 and 454HC, Drake 7077 (Astatic), E-V 729 and 927, and D-104/T-UGxx with the amplifier removed and a 470K series resistor in it's place. On-air comparisons were made with friends who know my voice. The favorite was the Turner +3 series, with the D-104 on the modified T-UGxx stand a close second.

In regular usage I often get unsolicited reports of great audio. It doesn't get much better than this. If you want to spend the money on a Heil or other fancy mic, go for it. But don't pass one of these up because someone told you it is a junk CB mic.

If you don't care for the hammertone gray of the original +3, the +3B is the same thing in black. If neither of those are to your liking, I know a guy who does powder coat mic repaints.

KB1WSN Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 21:32 Send this review to a friend
great mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I 1st bought one NOS in the early 80's, GREAT MICROPHONE!!
I recently acquired another on the used market, still a great microphone, I have many other mics such as the countless Heil mics and the Yaesu MD-200ABX, countless other Turners and Astatic Mics and to read some of you reviews calling the Turner +3B a "muffle box" or a cheap cb mic just burns me up, nothing is farther from the truth. Turner has ALWAYS put out a quality product made in the USA and not some cheap jap/china junker, the simple fact they have stood the test of time is a testament to that fact.

My advice to anyone reading this.. If you see one at hamfest , buy it.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2012 01:42 Send this review to a friend
my best modulation ever.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a turner + 3 b mike off a guy who sold his whole station. He is moving to Ireland and hopes to start afresh with all new equipment. I am using this mike with my spare radio Icom 735 and SB 200 Linear. Judging by all reports so far this is my best modulation ever. Very loud cuts through any noise and QRM but very clear.

WB8UHZ Rating: 1/5 Sep 22, 2012 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a CB mic, a ham radio has plenty of gain and such a mic with a amp to "turn up the audio" is not needed. It is well made but when you have "booming audio" its usually due to over driving your rig. The best audio sounds like you would hear when talking to someone in person.I really don't want to hear a guy breathing, smacking his lips or other non essential noise, turn it down, way down or put it on the shelf.

KD5SPJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2012 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent loud sounding mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this mic on both AM and SSB. It is an old mic, probably 25+ years old, but is a cracker! Gets thru the pileups like almost nothing else! I get some bad JUJU from other HAMs since it was thought of as a CB mic, but man, I don't care! It just works great on my FT-107M and every other radio I use it on.

M0DNR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2010 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Turner fan  Time owned: more than 12 months
well if you know anything about mics and believe me i have had many over the years all the big famous names i keep coming back to my turner mics yes i am a big fan and its a dam shame that they are not making them no more,if you ever get the time search the web for the turner story makes interesting reading, they will match most radios have not found one yet it has not. I always get glowing reports on the audio and keep getting asked what mic am using not bad for a old mic they still command a good price here and across the pond because people know how good these are would i swop my turners for any other mic no chance you would have to pry them out of my dead cold hands if you get the chance buy one do you will be converted

31DELTA90 Rating: 2/5 Nov 22, 2009 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Garbage  Time owned: more than 12 months
How could anyone give this mic a good review. I call it the muffle box, because that is exactly what it sounds like.

4Q2M8 Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2009 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Possibly the best desk mic ever...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have five +3b microphones, ranging from a very well used one to a mint, boxed example. Unfortunately, I now use a tube mic or an sm58 for most of my work so I'm spoiled but the audio quality of the +3b never ceases to amaze me.
I've even converted a few of these to USB (universal serial bus) for friends and installed a DSP for use on Skype and they get great reports... The ultimate in old meets new :)

PA7KK Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 01:44 Send this review to a friend
Turner +3B : not outdated !  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a mike that lasts at least 30 years or more. The owners will agree I'm not exaggerating.
It will help you break pile ups. Sounds very good. It's remarkable this mike still is not outdated. I prefer it over a MC-60. When you have a normal standing wave ratio, HF feedback will not bother you. If possible never change
the orginal cord as it has a perfect shield.
I bought two spare mikes 2 years back, and was
pleased they were still around. Price for a good +3B is around 100 euro's. Looks like they get
collectors items. One of the best products I
ever bought.

Hein - PA7KK

EA3WR Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2009 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Best desktop mike!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I always admired the clean and clear modulation of my CB colleagues using Turner mikes back in the 70's. I got one second hand in a hamfest almost a year ago and I use it on my TS850 and my FT857, for SSB and FM, and it's really superb, very clear and readable on SSB and pleasant to listen on FM or even AM. It's definetly a must for any microphone enthusiast and a grat tool for any ham.
73 from Barcelona!