Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Plus 3b Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Plus 3b
Turner Plus 3b Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $52.00
Description: desk microphone
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Turner Plus 3b.

EA3WR Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2009 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Best desktop mike!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I always admired the clean and clear modulation of my CB colleagues using Turner mikes back in the 70's. I got one second hand in a hamfest almost a year ago and I use it on my TS850 and my FT857, for SSB and FM, and it's really superb, very clear and readable on SSB and pleasant to listen on FM or even AM. It's definetly a must for any microphone enthusiast and a grat tool for any ham.
73 from Barcelona!

PE4BAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Good old Turner +3B  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own my Turner +3B for about 20 years now. And when I got it, it was already a heavy used mike. The last 5 years I use it on a Icom 706 and it does a great job. Recently I bought a second hand Turner SSK too. Just to compare, the good old Turner +3B seems to have a higher gain then the SSK. So I stick with the +3B probably next 20 years as well. And use the SSK for my VHF/UHF set.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2004 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Turner Fan  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have about 5 Super Sidekicks and 3 Turner +3's, but only 1 +3B. They are getting hard to find. Right now I have them hooked up to an RCI 2970DX, but will soon be putting them on my new Kenwood TS-480HX. I was told not to do it by Kenwood, They told me to buy a Heil Gold Line for the best possible audio with their rigs. But the reports I had on the Ranger have all been great, and I expect the reports on the Kenwood will too. I'm told it is Loud! with crystal clear audio that had me cutting through 10 meter pile up's even on the 2970DX. I can't wait to see how they work with the new Kenwood, maybe it will push it to the full 200 watts. With the hand mic. I'm getting about 180-190 out of the radio, but I would just like to see it peak around 200 once in awhile. I know it made a night and day difference on the Ranger.
The only problem is the Kenwood now uses a modular contector and I have to wait for a 8 pin to modular interface to find out how it works. But I expect from what I've read here it will be my mic of choice. Just as it was in the past.

AG4RC Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2003 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the 70's most of my friends were on CB radio! My vast collection of microphones consisted of a brand new Turner Plus 3B desk mic, D104 (TUG8), D104-Silver Eagle, Handheld D104, Radio Shack handheld amplified mic, Radio Shack amplified desk mic, Turner Plus 2 handheld mic, Turner Plus 3B handheld mic, and 1/2 dozen or so stock mics.

I always worked the Turner Plus 3B for normal rag chew on SSB and the D104 for yelling and screaming like an idiot on AM!

One of my CB buddies let me borrow his (standard) Turner Plus 3 - A old dingy gray colored mic. It easily outperformed my Turner Plus 3B - Reports said it was "clearer". He liked the black textured color of my Plus 3B and I liked the performance of his Plus 3 so we agreed on an even trade.

Presently I migrated from 11-meter "freeband" to HAM radio in April 2002 and still have the same Turner Plus 3! Only difference it now has a nice textured blackish-gray finish. Also works great connected to a homebrew 9V battery eliminator.

I consistently get excellent reports of my station sounding "BBC quality" "Broadcast quality" no matter what rig it's connected to!

Bottom line if you want a real nice sounding plug-n-play desk mic look for an old **standard Turner Plus 3 deck mic.

**Note: I've been tooled the standard (dingy gray) Turner Plus 3 desk mic has compression circuitry unlike the similar models Plus 3B or Super Sidekick. . .

KC8TLF Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2002 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Great microphone, low price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two of them and no only do they sound good, but they will really drive a radio. I'm partial to the plus 3 b (black) but I was thinking of painting my regular +3.

BERT Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2002 09:43 Send this review to a friend
There's no such thing as a bad Turner mic.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a few of the +3 series as well as a couple of +2's. They are often dismissed as CBer's mics, but they're every bit as good as ANY mic out there and superior to most. They can still be had NIB (New In Box) on the popular auction sites. They are often loud, but clear...what more do you really want?

73 de Bert
WA2SI

N2ETJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2002 22:59 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MIC  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Found a , new in the box, M+3B. Never had a mic plug on it . First tried it on my 756PRO..... worked just fine, everyone said it was clear and LOUD. Next put it on my Kenwood TR751A 2 meter all-mode... WOW.....what an improvement. No longer have to close talk the mic and everyone said it sounds broadcast quality on FM and SSB. Decided to keep it on my Kenwood. Like Goldline sound on Pro better. If you bypass battery and wire to mic pins to the rig, using voltage provided from rig, it sure helps. The odd ball expensive battery can then be eliminated. If you can find one, give it a try.

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2002 18:26 Send this review to a friend
CB Radio Memories  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Turner +3B brings back some great memories of my CB Radio days, twelve watts and talking all over the world on "naughty" frequencies getting large floral tributes congratulating me on my superb BBC audio, and the inevitable, "What kind of Mic are you using". If you owned a +3B you really had arrived, it gave a 3db boost and made you sound as powerful as the amateur station down the road and with better audio. Anyone with a +3B should hold onto it for dear life, as mics go it produces a great sound for minimal cost.

EI2IV Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2001 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Great reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have the +3B on my Icom 729 n I get great audio reports, I also have a President Lincoln 10m mono bander n no one belives it is a Lincoln the audio is superb better than most modern HF rigs useing the +3B. If you see 1 at a ham rally buy it !!!!!!!

K4CWO Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2001 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent on ICOM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use my Turner Plus 3 on my Icom 736, and does it ever make that meter jump. I have used a Astatic Night Eagle (crystal), and the Astatic 1104C (Ceramic with VOL & TONE ctrls). The Astatic 1104C is a close second to the Turner, but it is obvious from on the air reports in comparing the PLus 3 wins.