Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN Keys ZN-1 Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN Keys ZN-1
N3ZN Keys  ZN-1 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $150
Description: Magnet Driven, Aluminum Arms, Excellent Warranty, Priced at a Real Bargain
$150 for the black base and $175 for the brass base.
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com/

You can write your own review of the N3ZN Keys ZN-1.

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2006 08:37 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First I want to point out my relationship with Tony N3ZN, there is none other than we have a mutual interest. I have yet to talk to Tony on the phone let alone in person although he lives only about 40 minutes the other side of the city from me. I met him on eBay while restoring and selling Keys and I saw he was doing the same with some nice paddles up to and including the high-end models. Then I saw he was actually selling his own line and had used the ones he had in his shack for ideas to start his own line of paddles.

I love different keys paddles and bugs so I just had to try one. I emailed him and he sent me a prototype non production paddle with pivots and magnets. His production line all have bearings, not pivots and use powerful little magnets. I was so impressed by his Proto paddle I bought it. I then decided to buy one of his early production paddles figuring I would get a low S/N knowing that down the road it will become desirable, like the March and other good homebrew paddles.

Tony used Ulrich Steinbergís [the paddle master IMO] idea of using a light weight arms made from aircraft aluminum instead of the normal heavier brass arms almost every paddle maker uses. That combination of light weight arms and the magnets and bearings along with nice curved gold plated silver contacts results in the feel you get using the very top end paddles.

I also own the Profi and Begali Vertical both great paddles, and have owned the WBLV22 from which all paddle makers should take their cue. This paddle adjusts down to that very light feather touch, but unlike the high-end models it requires more than a mere two seconds to accomplish that feel. I used an Allen wrench and played with it until I had the feel just the way I like it. Adjusting a paddle to that perfect feel is where I separate the good paddles from the ho hum paddles. The run of the mill paddles will not adjust down to that feather touch no matter how careful or how much effort you put into it where Tonyís paddle will indeed do it.

I like the finger pieces he used. They have both aesthetic value and a good feel. I liked the contrast black base to the nice brass finish so I choose the black base model over the solid brass model. Either model is an excellent choice and when considering the price and the fact itís shipped for free with an unbelievable money back warranty, well itís my opinion that Tony has a winner here. I think down the road his prices will climb because I canít see how itís worth the materials time and effort plus the generous warranty at his prices.

I too thought of selling paddles and with 36 year experience as a journeyman machinist I am confident I could pull it off but with the prices I would charge, people would go to Begali and why I too went to Begali and didnít pursue it.

If you want a top end paddle at a bottom end price then theses paddles are worth very serious consideration especially at his low prices and warranty not to mention free shipping.

Curt/k3ivb