Reviews Categories | Ham Repeaters | Motorola MSR-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola MSR-2000
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: This repeater was the successor to the Micor series. These are modular rock bound ONLY and availible in several bandsplits

You can write your own review of the Motorola MSR-2000.

KA2AYR Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Better than most, but not a Micor or MSF  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MSR is essentially a Mitrek repackaged into a base station. The heavier-duty stations use a Micor-like PA. The control cards are Micor-like (in some cases very close, but different pin to card-cage track spacings). I am not as keen on these stations as I am on Micor and MSFs. Lighter-duty PAs have a tendency to expand and contract with use creating cold solder joints on the PA power distribution bus. This explains intermittents and spurs. This bus lies UNDER the modules in the PA, so to get at them requires delicacy. Reflowing everything usually leads to reliable operation for a while. Go out of your way to find silver solder for this! NEVER FILL IN OMEGA JUMPERS if you see them!!! They are there to help compensate for expansion and contraction.

I had problems with T2-2R configuration (one transmitter with F1/ F2 select, two separate receivers with a splitter and preamp) where the IFs were different between the two receivers (deliberately to avoid interaction), but there wasnít enough isolation through their splitter. I was picking up other VHF stations 100 kHz aside from our frequency. I strongly recommend removing any T2-2R apparatus and running T1-1R (one transmitter, single frequency; only one receiver).

Other than those concerns, these stations did work, and once they were working, they usually stayed that way. They would not be my first choice, but they represent something next generation from the Micor series, and still channel element QSY (no software or PROM programming necessary) with plenty of discrete components that experienced technicians can still work on. There are also plenty of Mitreks to cannibalize for parts. Look for heavy duty PAs and gut the T2-2R junk. CommSpec makes narrowband IF crystal filters for the MSR. This can be helpful if the station is receiving bleedover from an adjacent frequency.

I probably had my hand inside these too many times to give it a 5 rating, so I'm giving it a 4.

K7ZSK Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2007 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Great machines  Time owned: more than 12 months
We incorporated a MSR2K into our repeater system
about 5 years ago with NO- that's ZERO problems
operating reliably. A few minor additions- gigantic heat sink and fans for the transmitter
and some audio shaping to soften the commercial sounding audio. We have the pieces to build another and hope to do so soon! W7LT/R 146.84
73 John K7ZSK Current club president Portland(OR)
Amatuer Radio Club

N8CT Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2007 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Rugged Repeater  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Our club replaced an old tube type Motorola repeater with the MSR-2000 on 2 meters. We got the 100 watt continuous version and have it turned down to about 80 watts. We are using a CAT-300DX controller with it. The repeater hears very well and we no longer need the old preamp we used to need with the old repeater. The transmitted audio sounds very good. We have it set up to transmit PL and that is a nice feature. If you are driving through the Ashtabula Ohio area, give it a try. It is on 146.715 and requires a PL of 141.3. We are rating it a 5 because it has been serving us so well.