Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OBW10-5 (high performance 10 el wirebeam 20-17-15-12-10 Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OBW10-5 (high performance 10 el wirebeam 20-17-15-12-10
OptiBeam OBW10-5 (high performance 10 el wirebeam 20-17-15-12-10 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1,200
Description: Description: Extremely efficient and unique wire beam for 20/17/15/12/10m.
Use of the fantastic OptiBeam direct coupled driver feed system.
Never seen before mechanical design.
Extremely robust due to an extremely special instep framework, designed by OptiBeam.
All wires pre cut and pre assembled. Assembly is a snap within 1 to 1.5 hours.
Optically beautiful appearence.
Not just a wire beam, this is a piece of art.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OBW10-5 (high performance 10 el wirebeam 20-17-15-12-10.

IM0QMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2010 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years I'm very satisfied.Good antenna though with strong wind.It has not a great f/b ratio but all moxon beam are so.The only things I suggest to replace before putting your antenna on mast (please Tom use something different )are elastic ropes that keep two external wires and that get loose after a while due to sunlight,wind salt and other pollution things and that make you to take down everything to replace them (hard work !!)otherwise the antenna can stay up without maintenance.
At the end I suggest this antenna again if you do not have great spaces and you live in a windy QTH.

F4DDZ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Working good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Antenna very efficient and robust. I once had one of Hexbeam K4KIO. What a difference ! Quality materials, low windage and performance quality. I highly recommend the purchase of this antenna for those who can not put a heavy antenna.

SV1ENM Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2010 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I bought the antenna I was sure it was a good one but finally it's better than expected..After one month I can say I am happy I got it.
The quality of the materials is excellent.Assembling was very easy and it looks very nice on the air.Turns easily with a lightweight rotator.SWR is very fine across all bands.It has no traps and coils so it will be up for a long time without any worries..Working DX has come more easier now.
Very important is that Tom DF2BO is there very kindly to help in whatever somebody needs.
Thanks for a great antenna.

ON4BHQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 08:52 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE  Time owned: more than 12 months
My OBW10-5 is up in the air for 14 months now, so time for an update review.
Mechanically it is still the same as day one. The antenna survived stormy weather without any problem.
Electrically it is still the same as day one. SWR is perfect on any band.
Performance is still the same as day one. I broke trough lots of heavy pile ups of some "difficult" DXpeditions. For its small size, the antenna is doing a fantastic job. Running contests at high power (even RTTY)gave no problem at all. So heavy duty it is!
I made about 7000 QSO's now with the OBW10-5, so I think I can speak with some experience.
Conclusion: the OBW10-5 makes a small HAM station great!
What more can I say? I am a very happy user!

AC5N Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2009 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only up for a week and did alot of testing, checking signals compared to my vertical (Hy-gain Hy-Tower), checking front to back signals, testing with and without an amp. Have to say, thanks Tom, antenna performs admirably.

Performs according to specs, no tuner needed. Front to back is outstanding. Low SWR across all bands. Nice not having to use the amp much. I did have one problem with the assembly, one of the blocks that holds the fiberglass beams had one of the wholes slightly misdrilled. I emailed Tom, a week later I received a new block. I didn't really have to put on the new block, as it worked without replacing, just will save a minute if I have to disassemble/reassemble. Great service from a great company.

Assembly was a snap, I took my time assembling it and tooks me about 4 hours, could do it again in an hour if need be. Few pics are up on QRZ. Pleasure using the beam for 10m - 20m, still use the vertical, but only on the lower bands. Today I worked St. Helena (ZD7VC) with 100 watts from my IC-7700, and then worked several stations in Japan. Can't wait til the sun actually starts helping :)

HB9ZAG Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2009 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since June 2009 I do have an Optibeam OBW10-5 around 15m on top of my roof. Some pictures you can find here www.qrz.com/db/hb9zag .

As I started to mount the Antenna together I was surprised to see a so well done Antenna pre installation. All component parts are the usual high standard from Optibeam. I liked the very well done instruction manual with color pictures how to assemble some antenna parts. After installing all part together it could see the wonderful unique design of this antenna.

Perfect SWR on all Bands as descript in the manual or better.

The first listening on 20m was a highlight for me, because I could hear station I could not here with my vertical antenna. The Other Bands receptions are also mostly better then with the vertical.

A view days ago I had a good opportunity to compare the Vertical Antenna with the Optibeam. On the DX Cluster I have seen a spot for an Australian station. With my vertical I could hear only a weak signal with S1 after switching the antenna selector to the OptiBeam I could hear the station with S3 on long path.
The Optibeam is also doing a great job in transmission. Signal Reports are usually S9 or 9++.

I can highly recommend this ANTENNA OWB10-5 to everyone.

Thanks to Thomas DF2BO for fast delivery and support.
Marco
-HB9ZAG-

ON3MD Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2009 11:42 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Already alot have been written here about this antenna but still I have to say a few things!
I have this antenna since one month and it is really amazing sometimes because I working qrp max 10w and I can work the most stations I want even with a pile-up !!Sometimes the om's don't believe me that I work with 10w!
It is a wonderful antenna en piece of art !
I also wonna thank Tom for the support and amazing service

KJ4IGV Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2009 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this antenna on the air for almost six months. Let me add my agreement with the previous reviews of this antenna. It is simply outstanding. The technical specifications posted by the manufacturer are very conservative. This antenna performs very well in the real world and exceeded my expectations. I often use a Carolina Windom to spot DX, due to the fact it is less directional. Once I find DX that is interesting, I’ll point the Wirebeam, switch over to it and easily pick up 3 or 4 S units, sometimes more. I sometimes find myself looking for pileups just for the amusement of jumping in and see how quickly I can get a contact. I’m surprised if I don’t get a reply in 5 or 6 calls. This is with only 100 watts. The antenna was definitely a better investment than an amplifier.

The Wirebeam is installed on a rooftop tower about 14 meters off the ground in total. It is lightweight and is easily handled by a light duty antenna rotator. Support from Tom at Optibeam was excellent before and after the sale. All of my questions were answered promptly as I was making my decision and once I got it on order, it was shipped quickly to my local airport. I had a question during assembly and emailed Tom on a Saturday evening, thinking I would get a reply sometime on Monday. Much to my surprise, the answer to my question was waiting for me when I checked my email Sunday morning. He later followed up just to make sure everything was working correctly.

You can’t go wrong with this antenna.

Dan
KJ4IGV

EA3CC Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2009 03:20 Send this review to a friend
Very remarkable !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
“Frank” - EA3CC - Sant Cugat (Barcelona) June, 2009

Hello friends wolrdwide, Diana & Tom.

As I do not want to spent much of your time repeating what is already said. I want to support the majority of positive statements launched here about this brave new antenna design.

Let me say but, that concerning front to back on 17 and 20 meters, the OBW10-5 is far beyond Tom’s, Blue Ocean figures…. for very much better score.

A few days ago, being in stable qso (almost qsb free) with some W6…friends in the west coast, W6CCP Seymour, W6ZR Ray, among a few others, reciprocal reports of 10 dB. over the 9 mark where exchanged as accurate reports to conduct the F/B test between California and Barcelona.

After turning 180 degrees, my signal in Seymour and Ray Smeter’s dropped down to a mere S2-3 !!!!, you can count yourself the bunch of dB’s lost !!!. likewise my readings agreed too.

Serious F/B tests have been conducted, and all results have been breath-taking when talking long distance.

Real world 15-20 dB. F/B figures according to the manufacturer specs. are common on short distance (Barcelona – UK, DL, EA8, SV, even 4X), I suppose that the aerial is illuminated from the top in this cases, making less affective the Moxon F/B behaviour.

I take my hat off Tom.

73, Frank EA3CC

MI0JZZ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2009 09:34 Send this review to a friend
amazing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i have owned this antenna for nearly a year now and for sure the best i`ve owned to date.after a few emails to tom DF2BO for advise we decided to go for the 10-5 wire beam which fits my garden (30ft X 30ft) with a little room to spare. the antenna arrived with`in 7 days from germany very fast and i was surpirsed that how easy it was to build and a nice swr across the board.

28.500 1.2
24.940 1.3
21.250 1.1
18.140 1.2
14.200 1.2

over the past year on the optibeam i`ve worked 138 dxcc with a few new ones such as HAWAII, WILLIS IS., THE CONGO, MINAMI TORISHIMA to name but a few. i wouldn`t hesitate to buy from tom in the furture and i`d highly recomend optibeam antennas to anyone.
MI0JZZ.......CHRIS