Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Drake SSR-1 Communication Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Drake SSR-1 Communication Receiver
Drake SSR-1 Communication Receiver Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $295-350
Description: General coverage receiver, made in approx.75-77

You can write your own review of the Drake SSR-1 Communication Receiver.

W0VPI Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Timeless Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my SSR-1 since Christmas of 1976, my first Christmas gift from my wonderful wife. Over the years I've used this as a non-Ham receiver. Great AM Shortwave broadcast receiver with strong audio from the wisely mounted front speaker. Paired with a Palomar broadcast loop I've enjoyed BCB DX. Like any other receiver, the more antenna you give it, the happier it is. Only problem is a non-functional S-meter. Wrote to Drake some 20 years ago and got a nice letter with suggestions. But, the meter is actually bad. Maybe I'll look for another now that I have the Internet to search. Along with my Kenwood TS-530S the SSR is one of those radios that never gets old.

KP4FAR Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2012 18:53 Send this review to a friend
A very sensitive Wadley Loop circuit receiver:  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished a repair on my SSR 1. It is a very good receiver using the Wadley Loop design. Tuning is a bit tricky but not difficult and in crowded bands one needs to be careful. The receiver is very sensitive with a good antenna and has reasonable sensitivity with the telescopic antenna. Audio is excellent and selectivity adequate but limited by the design. Frequency stability is very good as well as accuracy. I have been testing this using a digital receiver as a control and the SSR1 is right on the dot. USB and LSB work OK and even in AM mode the clarify control works. The major drawback is the lack of a good service manual so you need a compendium of what is available in the Web. There are two versions, one using only bipolar NPN transistors and another using MOSFETs for the local oscillator circuits. Mine has the MOSFETs so I don't know how it compares to the other version. Servicing is not difficult if you have some experience and the correct schematic. The best one for the MOSFET version is an schematic for the Standard C6500 available at mods.dk. This receiver has the exact same circuit as thexSSR 1. Only the cabinet and front panel design differs but the controls are the same. The schematic has pin voltages for all transistors in the radio. The dial say Drake all over it but I would have liked a blue dial better. It is an elegant radio designed to blend in a living room environment. In the end it is a good SW receiver and a nice collector set with a circuit design that marks the transition between the classic design of the superheterodyne and the advanced PLL and DSP designs of today.

K1SMM Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2010 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Handy interesting unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this receiver for many years and have never had any problems other than sone scratch in the volume pot, easily cured with a quick spray. As previously stated, some learning is required for tuning. You must manually select the range then tune the MHz dial for highest noise level, then do the same for the preselector. I easily copy sideband and AM signals. Fairly limited with the rod antenna, but great with an external wire or dipole.

W8AAZ Rating: 3/5 May 19, 2008 18:35 Send this review to a friend
The bottom of the Drake receiver barrel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I remember that it was a problem child for Drake. Had alot coming back with synthesizer problems. If it were me and I wanted a solid state Drake I would opt for an SPR-4 if well checked out and no problems with the tuning mechanism or one of the later black face Drake receivers. I guess it would be OK if you don't get ahold of one of the problematic ones. I would rate it the least desireable of the Drake receivers for practical use. But now it is a collectable like all the Drakes so you might need it to fill a spot in a collection.

SWL377 Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2007 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Fun early synth rcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
This late 70s solid state rcvr uses the Barlow Wadley loop freq synth system and it works fine. Tuning this set takes a bit of learning (some peaking required), but it isnt a big deal. Readout is analog and reasonably accurate. The set looks really good to my eye and has proven to be very reliable in a harsh salty marine environment. Made in Japan and quality is great. It runs on AC or internal D cells and battery life is very good. It is harder to sue than a digital set, but actually more fun. It is not rare, but it isnt plentiful either. They seem to hold value very well so if you want to own one for a while you probably wont lose a dime if you later decide to sell it. Sensitive, reasonably stable, gets SSB OK. Prices usually range from $150-225. This set gets bad reviews from people who compare it to later technology, but for a 1970s set I think it is great.

KA8DLL Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2006 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Ham Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm here to straighten out the view of the DRAKE SSR1 receiver. Apparently the only DRAKE receiver produced in Japan. Selling for approx. 350.00 in 1975, it really is a pretty good communication receiver. It biggest short coming is it needs more selectivity in the ham bands, I would say it selectivity is better than the KA1103 [in the narrow position] but not as good as the REALISTIC DX440 in the narrow position. The sensitivity and stability are excellent. Frequency read out is approx. +/- 5khz. Audio from the front firing speaker is fine. All in all this is a pretty good ham receiver. It is an excellent broadcast band receiver too. With the use of a QF1A audio filter,for extra filtering, it makes a comfortable ham receiver.