Reviews Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | Eton FR300 Help

Reviews Summary for Eton FR300
Eton FR300 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $50.00 USD
Description: Etσn FR300 AM/FM Radio with NOAA, TV VHF, Flashlight, and Cell Phone Charger

This all-in-one unit offers functionality and versatility that makes it ideal for emergencies. The FR300
provides you with radio, light, and cell phone battery life when you need it most. The Hand-Crank Power
Generator charges the internal rechargeable Ni-MH battery pack. With the NOAA weather channels and TV
VHF channels, you can find weather forecasts or listen to TV shows when you’re away from the set.

Features
• AM and FM
• TV1 and TV2 - VHF channels 2-13
• NOAA weather/Environment Canada – all 7 channels plus "Alert"
• 3 LED light system with emergency flash
• Siren
• Cellphone charger
• Crank-charge system charges built-in rechargeable battery
• Charges rechargeable battery via AC adapter/charger (not included)
• Can be powered by 3 AA batteries
• Can be powered with all batteries removed, by continuous cranking
• Power Source: Built-In Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery Pack; 3 AA Batteries (not
included); Crank power alone; AC Adapter (not included); AC Adapter recharges
built-in Ni-MH battery pack
• Dimensions: 6-1/2”W x 6”H x 2-1/2”D (168 x 155 x 64 mm)
• Weight: 1 lb. 4 oz. (568 g)
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/

You can write your own review of the Eton FR300.

KI4LNG Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2007 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Useful; fills a need.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for several years now and got it on sale at the local Radio Shack for 49.99 if memory serves.

It has a cordless telephone battery that you can charge using a hand crank. This is a nice feature that takes three minutes to charge using th built in hand crank. The hand crank is easy to operate and doesn't require massive cranking speeds to perform properly. A red LED will light as it is cranked indicating that cranking is acceptable in rate by giving a strong steady glow.

The radio is light in weight. This is a drawback when cranking so I usually just hold the radio against my gut as I crank it and find this the easiest way to charge it using the dynamo.

The radio also accepts AAs in addition to having the cordless battery in the unit. The AAs last a while. It is no energy pig. I've gotten several months (at least 6) of intermittent use with one set of AAs.

It has the FM band and the TV-1 band on the same selector setting. This can be problematic as TV stations and the FM stations tend to crowd each other when using the dial and usually results in TV winning out. YMMV. I live in a market with a saturated FM dial so placing the TV-1 in the same tuning selection inevitably leads to problems.

The weather radio fx has the 7 WX radio channels and a basic weather alert feature but no SAME coding ability.

I was stuck in the aftermath of a hurricane, without power a few years ago for a period of 9 days. This radio filled the need well. I had TV (listen only) for entertainment (like Old Time Radio) and had the AM and FM bands available for news coverage as it was typical that the stations all covered the storm and aftermath which gets monotonous after a while.

The LED lighting is 2 white LEDs that work well and provide a useful and usable illumination. There is a red LED (not the charging LED mentioned above) that flashes and could prove useful for walking at night alerting vehicles to your presence.

The siren is not particularly loud as sirens go but could be useful getting the attention of a person in the same house.

AM reception is good, and stable. I am overall happy with this radio and would purchase it again. I think I got good value for my money. However I did deduct a star leaving a 4 rating for the following cons:
1) TV-1 is on a combined selector with the FM band and this leads to the difficulties I mentioned earlier.
2) The universal cell phone charger, which does come with several adapters did not have one that fit my cell phone at the time. It seemed more geared to Nokia than Audiovox. I think I could have found an adapter work around but universal means I shouldn't have too.

So I rate this radio 4 stars and am overall happy with the FR-300. I would purchase it again, and that is the bottom line after all.