Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-32AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-32AT
Icom IC-32AT Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Unknown
Description: 2 Meter/70 CM HT. 5.5 W on VHF/ 5.0 W on UHF with 1w low power on both bands. Will crossband UHF/VHF or VHF/UHF has CTCSS board built in.

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-32AT.

AA8XR Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2012 20:19 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best handheld ever for me! I have owned 6-7 of them over the years, still my original handheld from 1988. SPent over 1000 for it with all the accessories, best money spent. Still working after all these years. Other handhelds I have had have come and gone, broken. 32at still going in spite of those poorer made radios. Glad I kept it, bought a new nattery and charger for it that is 4x more battery than those old ni cads. Gave two of them away to disabled hams. Best handheld ever, still wotking since 1988. 2nd best radio: Icom 448A UHF mobile. Also still working since 1989.

WR2I Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2011 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Purchased new in 1989. The benchmark for all dual band HT's.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first dual band HT offering from Icom, and my first dual band radio. I bought it with leather case LC-32, speaker mic HM-46, drop in charger CM-35, extra battery BP-7 and CTCSS decode board UT-40. The cost of the radio and accessories was over $1000.

The build quality and performance of this radio is so superior to anything else I have ever seen in the amateur market, that it is worth every penny spent. I have owned dozens of different dual band radios (including numerous Icom's). None of them compare to this one. I have more hours on this radio than any other radio I have owned.

It is tough. It has a solid front end that does not overload. It works. It takes a beating.

There was, and will never be a radio made by an amateur radio manufacturer, that will match the quality that went into this classic masterpiece.

I NEVER give 5's. But this radio deserves it. It walks on water.

Icom IC-32AT, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

M1BPT Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2010 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Superb Responsive HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 IC 32E and after being in the box for some considerable time , put on a new BP8 and powered them up managed to hit on the Duel band Rubber Duck
GB3KY on 5w from my home in Hunstanton some 13 miles and GB3KL in Kings Lynn some 17miles my V82 on 7w cant reach KY. So much for modern design, I true classic every shack should have 1. best 73s from East Anglia UK Paul M1BPT JO02FV

KD4HGR Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 13:20 Send this review to a friend
BEST ONE EVER MADE  Time owned: more than 12 months
THESE ARE BUILT LIKE A TANK..I HAVE HAD MINE FOR ABOUT 16 YEARS NOW AND WORKS AS GOOD AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT..ALSO MINE HAS HAD A REAL GOOD BOUNCE FROM A 50' FOOT TOWER AS I WAS WORKING ON ONE AND IT FELL FROM MY BELT AND BOUNCED OFF THE GROUND..DID NOT EVEN PUT A DENT OR A CRACK IN IT. ONLY THE BATTERY CAME OFF.I PUT THE BATTERY BACK ON IT AND KEYED UP THE REPEATER AND IT WENT BACK UP THE TOWER WITH ME..WHAT A RADIO..DID MISS A BEAT..

KB4TPP Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2007 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent classic dual band HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally after 17 years of wanting one, found one at a great price on Ebay and thanks to the prior owner keeping it in good shape, it's like I am 16 again. When the Icom IC-32AT first appeared back in 1989/1990, it had a street price of what some HF rigs sell for today. Fully equipped with the tone board, extra batteries, CM-35 rapid charger...you could have probably bought an HF rig for the cost back then.

And it lasts as long as an HF radio. The 32AT is built on the classic chassis from the 02/03/04/12AT series and uses the same series of batteries, it just has an updated "90's" look that Icom went to about that time. While it doesn't have 1000 memories, alpha tags, or DCS, what the 32AT DOES have is performance, durability and quality and a robustness not found on today's sub-200 dollar wonder box dual band HT's. RX audio is incredible and one look at the speaker size and you'll understand why these close to 20 year old HT's fetch upwards of 200 dollars on Ebay. They truly don't make them like this anymore.

The radio has 20 memories (40 if you don't use offsets), 2 call channels, a programmable band scan with priority scan, CTCSS encode (optional decode board), a stout 5.5watts of power on VHF, and 5 watts on UHF at 13.2VDC. One nice thing is the top mounted jacks for antenna (BNC), mike and speaker as well as DC in 5-15VDC. The radio will also charge a battery pack attached when powered from DC. Accessories are plentiful and new batteries as well as inserts for the battery packs are inexpensive. This is a well designed radio with a large display and keypad that fits well in the hand. It is well laid out, easy to operate, with big knobs that a gloved hand can use.

I strongly recommend picking one up, especially if you want a rugged, commercial grade HT that will probably last another 20 years. This rig is quality through and through.

KQ6UP Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2007 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Brick  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio. It is built like a tank, and has some pretty awesome features for a radio of its age (cross band repeat / full duplex HT). I love ICOMs robust build quality.

Pros: Large size hard to drop/loose Incredible battery life with a re-built BP-8 (12hrs with long QSOs). Solid construction. Strong front end (decent image rejection). Great for working the LEOs. Loud audio.

Cons: Large size hard to find accessories for it. Squelch range not great enough (some strong static can still break in even with the squelch all of the way up).

KB1NDS Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2006 13:09 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this radio for about 4 months and it works really good. I am in an apartment so no outside antenna allowed. The unit does as well as my Yaesu FT 2800M on the same power on 2 meters and has the 70 CM option as well. I have used it at my son's house in Barre, VT to talk to a repeater on the Canaan Mountain site in New Hampshire. My mobile unit struggles to be able to do any better at his house (Icom 281H). My only complaint has been on trying to get a service manual for it. I am still trying.