Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Sculpture Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Sculpture
Begali Sculpture Reviews: 78 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550 + $26 s/h
Description: Stainless steel dual lever magnetic paddle using carbon fiber finger pieces, gold contacts, instrument grade racing bearings. The best of the best in a stunningly beautiful, virtually indestructible package
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Sculpture.

EI4HQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2012 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Engineering meets Art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much consideration of the options for a new key I asked my XYL to buy me a Begali Sculpture for my 40th birthday (my 21st birthday present from her was a Bencher paddle!). As it was a present for me it was my XYL that dealt with Piero whom she felt moved to comment was "very attentive and inordinately helpful" during the purchase process...

My Begali sculpture has had its baptism this past few days and all I can say is it is something quite special; where engineering meets art. A truly wonderful instrument clearly built with great care and dare I say love - it shows...

G4WLC Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Extremely well designed and machined. It has a very solid feel to it with a precise and light action. It was supplied with a high quality connection cable with 3.5mm stereo jack plugs on each end, a small piece of metal foil to serve as a 0.03mm feeler gauge, a polishing cloth embossed with the Begali name, a cloth carry bag, a simple dust cover, and a guarantee card signed by Piero.

Exemplary customer service. Key was promptly dispatched from Italy to UK and on my desk within two days.

4X1WQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2011 06:18 Send this review to a friend
incomparable !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my actual mail sent to Begali Family.

Dear Mrs. Bruna,

So today I had a chance to open and to take a close look at the package with
the key you've sent to me. I must admit, that from the first look it was
very much clear how many attention and love you've invested in the details
to pack the key - it is simply admirable!!

In addition to it, the key is looking fabulous, not a single flow,
everything is perfect and looks a Master craftsman piece of art!! It took me
maybe 3 minutes at most to setup the key and start sending the code. The
feeling of the paddles is so smooth that I find myself very difficult to
describe it by words - I am simply speechless and never felt this way
working a key although I have more then 30 years of experience of working
CW.

I want to take the opportunity and to thank you and Piero for everything you
did to provide me with such a beautiful key, yours outstanding customers
service and professionalism which was demonstrated all way along starting
from my first letter of inquiry to you.

Thanks again my dear friends for what you are doing.

W6QR Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2011 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is simply the best key I have ever used. The paddle motion is smooth as silk. The key is smaller than I imagined but is heavy enough to stay put on the operating table when used by this heavy fisted operator. The workmanship and finish (mine is black Titanium Nitride) are flawless. I appreciate the ability to adjust the paddle spacing. It only took a few minutes to perform the paddle and contact spacing adjustments and get on the air.
Begali was having problems with the Titanium Nitride coating process when I ordered my key. Bruna informed me immediately and kept in touch as they found and evaluated a new vendor for this process. This is my fourth Begali key and I canít speak highly enough of both the quality and customer service.
Bill, W6QR

LZ1BP Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2011 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perfect!!!

73 Todor LZ1BP

N4EES Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2010 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Beauty in form and function  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are, like me, a long time bug user, this key may take awhile to get used to. Like any paddle, it requires a bit more finesse and restraint than a bug. But once the "sweet spot" is found, and some practice time is under the belt, sending code becomes a zen-like experience.

The workmanship is remarkable...tiny ball bearings are held against the threads of the adjustment screws using spring pressure. This holds the adjustment settings without the need for lock nuts. Everything about this key exudes precision and quality. The stainless steel finish is uniquely beautiful...I ordered mine without the word Sculpture engraved across the turret. Bruna was happy to comply with my request. The personal, friendly attention during the ordering process was the icing on the cake.

No regrets. The Begali Sculpture is to paddles, what the Marconi PS213 is to the straight key....beauty in form and function.

DK2GZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have several keys here: Vibroplex lambic deluxe, Schurr profi II and now the Begali Sculpture.
The Sculpture key has the finest adjustments of any key I used before. After playing several weeks with this gem, the Sculpture is simply the best.

Once in a lifetime every CW-OP need his Harley-Davidson.

F8WAK Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2010 23:50 Send this review to a friend
An additional aspect to our hobby.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a daunting aspect to attempt to write a review on the Begali Sculpture considering what has already been said, both about the key and the Begali family. To avoid my restating the obvious, please read the other reviews as the key is all that is written and more. It is the "more" that I would like to mention.

Opening a package is part of the fun. The Sculpture is carefully packed by hand with great care. It is a "serious" package. When I removed the key my wife suggested that when I was not using it I should leave it on the mantle above the fireplace. There is something about a finely crafted object that combines technology and form.

How does it perform? Read the reviews. Are my skills any better? After over fifty years as a radio amateur, probably not as there is still the problem of the interface between the chair and the key. But, the Sculpture has added more pleasure to the process and that alone is worth the price.

IZ1CLB Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Raising the bar in mechanics  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One canít possibly remain indifferent to a design of this kind. The main reason for the success of this paddle is surely its strong personality, which makes it absolutely unique and different from all others, beginning with the material used and its unusual color. You might compare this feeling with the awe surrounding the first CitroŽn DS cars when they appeared in the European market, back in 1955.

Every mechanical detail, from the sturdy base from the arms, from the electrical connections to the micrometic tuning screws, displays the mastery of professionals who have been working in high-precision mechanics for a very long time (not surprisingly, the paddle is built in the Val Trompia in Italy, where the headquarters of other leading firms like Beretta are located).

This mechanical apparatus (as this is, in my view, the most appropriate way to define it) is first of all a sheer pleasure to look at, even before beginning to use it. At first sight, it looks just like a rectangular piece of steel; however, the object can be opened on the front, thus revealing that there are not four but seven sides to it. As you do your fine tuning with the lateral knobs, you will also realize that the sides have been worked so that the fingers can operate with the greatest ease.

The innovative finger pieces in carbon fiber are remarkably smooth to touch. Together with the extremely light aluminium arms (in sharp contrast with the strength and stability of the base), the absolute absence of any friction between the mobile parts, and the accurately positioned fulcrum make this paddle exhilaratingly close to a prolongation of the nerves and muscles of your hand.

Thanks to its minimal mobile masses, and with the use of light tuning, it really feels like you are caressing the wings of a butterfly, such is the impression of weightlessness and precision. There is no instability, no bending and nor sponging during use (the typical flaws found in cheaper or different designs). I also found myself very comfortable with the tuning of the pressure on the levers at 27 grams, and noticed that all mechanical tuning devices remain stable after a very prolonged working session. The ticking noise Ė similar to a telex machine Ė is amusing and pleasant to hear; the electrical contacts in pure gold (not just a thin gold layer) are also worth noting.

The drawback of this marvel is the very direct and touchy feeling of the apparatus, which doesnít allow for any indecision or second thoughts at the last millisecond; thatís why I see the Sculpture as a tool for highly experienced practitioners, showing its best at high speeds. I had the misfortune (or delight?) of switching to the paddle with Sculpture after years spent with the vertical key, and it was indeed a tough job initially.

The paddle comes with some accessories, including a calibrated [spessore] for the fine tuning of the distance between the contacts; a useful plastic cover to protect the object from dirst and dust; and a small mat on which to position the base.

And now, hereís three critical observations, in no specific order:

- It would have been a good idea to close the tiny niche at the bottom, where the electrical connections (otherwise excellent, even from an aesthetic viewpoint) are located.

- Given the extensive advice I have personally received from the manufacturer Ė an extremely kind and forthcoming professional Ė and the steep price tag, it would have been good to have a more detailed instruction sheet, especially in relation to the mechanical tunings.

- The tuning of the distance between the finger pieces, achieved with a mechanical [eccentric] located between the contacts, left me a bit perplexed. Again, I had the impression that I could have gotten something more than that for an instrument of this class.

In short, this is a paddle you can purchase with the utmost confidence, and youíll get a lot of bang for the buck. Paddles can hardly get better than this. Itís also going to be a highly priced item in the second-hand market, provided you donít want your callsign inscribed on the base.

Post-scriptum: when a single-lever Sculpture?

73 de IZ1CLB

KU5Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Fine tool.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Highly elegant as well as extremely functional, and a precision tool. As beautiful as Bruna herself. If you enjoy, and relish "nice things" and cost is no object, you should be delighted with the Sculpture. The Begali family are wonderful to deal with.

Consider it the "Rolex" of CW tools.

I've instructed my son to place mine in my right hand, in my casket me with mine when I die.

KU5Q